View Single Post
Old 02-15-2011, 12:22 AM
Music Provides Joy

Hi. New member here. Here's what's happening with me in terms of my audio life:

I currently run a set of DIY speakers ("exodus audio kit 2641") that I overbuilt a few years ago (1.5" MDF walls all around, serious bracing on the insides, outboard crossovers, etc.) with a Parasound HCA3500 amp (350x2), Parasound P3 preamplifier, and a PS Audio DAC III (USB). Source material is all apple lossless from a nearby silent PC.

My first exploration into decent audio was by way of an Onkyo Integra M-504 amplifier with the illuminated watt meters. I was hooked on audio via the Onkyo's dancing meters and have spent years dreaming about Mcintosh blue meters. Since the Parasound is more than capable, I've had no real push to upgrade. In fact, the audio upgrade bug hasn't been on me for over 5 years. The other day, however, the left channel on the Parasound turned off for no apparent reason... and it has been happening about every other listening session. Even worse, during a couple of the listening sessions the channel did not turn off, but was merely attenuated. The audio upgrade bug has bit again and I am now very strongly drawn to the blue meters of Mcintosh.

I listened to the mc302 driving some B&W 803d's this past weekend and was impressed. The mc302 was hooked up to the 2300 preamplifier. They played the same speakers using a Bryston stack, and I was frankly taken-aback by how well the Bryston stack demoed. Without getting too subjective, the Mc stack was warm and the Bryston stack was forward and clear. I like warmth, but was favorably impressed by the Bryston. The audio store was near closing and didn't have time to let me listen to the mc302 on a solid state preamplifier. I might call and tell them to set up a solid state Bryston amplifier versus McIntosh amplifier test for me (same speakers, sources, preamplifiers). I will likely buy the mc302, but the Mc stack with the 2300 pre almost sounded cloudy (or overly warm) to my ears relative to the Bryston. Any comments on this experience? Should I expect the mc302 with a solid state preamplifier to resolve a little cooler than with the 2300 pre?