View Single Post
Old 10-16-2020, 01:06 PM

Also, Serge there are some highly qualified folks on AA. I'm very glad about that. I respect their opinions tremendously. A few thoughts about aging. NAD is not going to be the magic bullet for aging. It is a molecule that is vital to the creation of ATP and also has other important cellular functions. ATP supplies the energy for most cellular process like DNA Replication, Transcription, and Translation.

It takes a tremendous amount of effort and energy for a cell to successfully divide. Maintenance of an excellent energy supply, i.e. ATP and NAD are vital for successful cell division. So it makes perfect sense that aging is tangentially related to NAD+ which I believe is the oxidized form of NADH. Maintaining excellent concentrations of ATP, ADP, A, G, C, T/U, all essential amino acids, NAD+, NADH plus a myriad of other enzymes, etc. become vital in maintaining a body that literally wears itself out producing 80 trillion cells per year. If the newly formed replacement cell is full of mutations and shortened telomeres as a result of inadequate NAD+, it will malfunction and be more aged than a healthier "new" cell. But again, it's just a Band Aid for a cut that is 20" long and an inch wide.

Aging is much more related to cell division. It is a fact of biochemistry that human cells cannot divide over about 50-70 times. After that the cell becomes senile and dies. It is a fact of biochemistry and clinical observation that when folks in their 80-100 age range break a hip, for example, their cells may not possess the recuperative ability to recover from the operation, and so they die. This lack of recuperative ability is directly linked to the body's inability to provide the necessary non senile cells to heal the wound and recover from the stress. I have observed this many times because I was a hospital based physician for 34 years and provided the initial management for more broken hips than you can imagine. It was possible for me to follow their progress from admission to discharge and I did. The older you become the less likely your are to achieve discharge because numerical age is directly proportional to the number of your senile cells. This is because until you die, your body must produce 80 trillion new cells each year under the best of circumstances, just to maintain. As you approach 100, there is simply no gas left in your tank and you die.

Best

Charles

Last edited by Charles; 10-16-2020 at 02:29 PM.