View Single Post
Old 05-11-2011, 08:13 PM
Michael ASC-TubeTrap

I just had a quick chat with Art Noxon (the TubeTrap inventor) about your room, and here is what he suggested:

"As much as you may like those speakers, please switch them out for a pair of Magnepans or Martin-Logans, or some other good dipole."

The noise (signal masking early reflections) generated by lateral (side-to-side) and vertical buildup is 12-15dB louder than the direct sound off the front of your speaker. Let me say that again: the sideways and vertical dispersion from your speaker will mask the direct sound you want to hear by 12-15dB!!!! That is why there are so many Tubes clustered around the speaker on our diagram. We are trying to absorb 12-15dB in the attack phase (first 16th of a second) of each note.

Planar speakers don't stimulate vertical or lateral buildup the way all box speakers do.

This advice also means we are saying "don't spend $17k with us". Now, you're always welcome to get a large pile of acoustics from ASC, but we'd prefer to start with advice for good sound, whatever that might be. Sometimes it means we ask people to turn their rooms 90 degrees. Sometimes we ask to move a speaker or chair. And sometimes we suggest a different approach entirely.

There are lots of reasons why you chose your speakers, and we respect that. We have that design posted because others have thanked us for our advice and then asked "if I DON'T get Maggies, what are my options?".

And for those who don't know exactly what is being discussed, I'm attaching the room drawing that I believe Stump has referred to. We have a number of room layouts posted on our website here.

Tomorrow I'll go deeper into the other questions Stump raised. But I'll leave this game-changer on the table overnight.

Michael Adams
michael@acousticsciences.com