View Single Post
Old 02-09-2011, 11:53 PM
Hear to listen...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessman View Post
As I mentioned in the other thread I have acquired nine 3' x 11" full rounds, two 3' x 11" half rounds, and two 3' x 16" full rounds. Five pairs are stacked as columns (one in each corner with the 16" column centered on the back wall), one 3' x 11" full round adjacent to a stair well (half wall) and the two half-rounds stacked at a midpoint on the left side wall.

The resulting improvement in sound quality has been remarkable. In short, the sound is much more musical and realistic. I will try to give some concrete examples, as follows:

1) The speakers almost always disappear. The sound seems to be ambient, rather than coming out of little boxes. The sound stage has widened.

2) Now that the decay time on the bass notes has evened out, the highs no longer seem rolled off at low volume.

3) Detail in the mid-range has improved so much that I can hear new things in old familiar CD's.

4) Dynamic punch is so improved that I have more punch at lower volumes than before. A kick drum kicks you in the chest even at moderate volume.

5) Although I know it's not possible, it seems like the mains play an octave lower than before. I suspect they always played this low, but the uneven decay time was creating a bit of the dreaded "one note bass" which was drowning out the lower register. I actually checked to make sure I wasn't running through the DVD port, which would kick in the subs. They were not even on and I broke into a huge grin.

In short, ASC tube traps are the real deal.
Randy, how did you decide what to get?

Aural pleasures courtesy of SME, Dynavector, Audio Research, Simaudio, Wireworld, & Wilson