View Single Post
Old 01-05-2023, 09:32 AM

Like McMan, I am C22/MC275, and I cannot imagine ever switching to something else, except perhaps to add a second MC275 (OK, full disclosure, I expect to demo this next month). The only gear that might be "better" for a tube person is too big for me to house.

Like the OP, I demoed Luxman and Mc SS before buying. Both were very good, but neither could match the tubes for for naturalness and organic feel. "Dry", as noted above, is a fair description of the others.

I have not heard the C8, but it is an obvious step down the pyramid from C22 in terms of specs and sound quality, and I try to choose components with my eyes closed, so would not consider it.

On the original concern about maintenance and other tube headaches--except for replacing tubes preemptively after about 4 years, and having to deal with the heat of the MC275, my amps have been no more taxing than SS. I am always mystified when people complain of tube issues, perhaps they do not affect recent Mc gear the way they have in the past?

So at least for the OP's goal, C22/MC275 is an absolute no-brainer.

Rock on!