View Single Post
Old 08-08-2021, 01:11 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneglad View Post
My apologies if this has been answered previously:
I have been wondering about the differences between the newer Venom V14 Digital vs the older Venom Digital and Alpha Digital cables?
I have had the original Venom Digtial on my Aurender Music server for the past few years.
I recently upgraded almost all of my previous Shunyata PC’s to the new Venom V2 NR10’s (Venom V2NR12 on my Home Theater Pre/ Pro).
I also purchased Venom V14 Digital for my Apple TV and for the Farad 3 powering my EtherRegen switch (Delta v2 Ethernet cable to Aurender).
My two questions/ curiosity is:
1. Would it benefit me two switch from original Venom Digital to the new Venom 14D even if it’s lower grade and gauge vs. the original?
The V14D was specifically designed for devices that reside entirely in the digital domain; it's noise filter functionality has been optimized for this, and as such, it was designed for digital streamers, network bridges, Ethernet switches, routers, music servers, etc. It also works a treat on HDTVs and AVRs.

Oh, here's an example for you: I recently had to power my Sonore OpticalModule with one of my original Shunyata Venom 3 power cords because I needed the Venom V14D for the Fidata HFAS1 I was reviewing for TAS. Once I was done with the review, I put the V14D back onto the Sonore OpticalModule and heard a very clear improvement in clarity, tonality, and reduction in noise.

The Venom V10, and Delta, Alpha, Sigma NRv2, and Omega PC were specifically designed for noise reduction the internal (full-wave bridge rectifier) power supplies for "analog-domain" components themselves, e.g. amps, preamps, phono stages and DACs (this is why the NR filter is at the component IEC receptacle end).

Quote:
2. I upgraded from Original Venom HC on both of my Furman IT power conditioners to wall to Venom V2 NR10’s, from reading this thread, it sounds like maybe I would be better off with the Venom 10 V2 XC’s for them instead??
Yes, in theory. However, the biggest problem are the Furman power conditioner themselves. Any fairly subtle sonci differences between the Venom 10 XC and Venom V10 will be masked by the Furmans.

A much better solution is to use a Shunyata Venom PS8 powered by a Venom NRv10.

My suggestion is to rent in the power cables you're interested and listen for yourself. Once you have listened for a bit and have made an informed decision, our fearless leader, MasterLu, will quickly and effectively get you sussed with any products you may decide you want to get.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 08-08-2021 at 01:19 PM.