View Single Post
Old 01-15-2021, 05:19 PM

Colleagues,
I decided to revisit Dr. Floyd Tooles book on audio reproduction, and listen to his discourse Sound Reproduction-Art and Science, available on YouTube.
In his presentation, Dr. Toole explains and show examples of good and bad sound reproduction and how it can, and can't be fixed. One of the more interesting aspects of his life's work is how much one spends on speakers is no guarantee of how accurate the reproduction will be. And shows examples. He also introduces the concept of the circle of confusion, which essentially is other than our speakers we don't know anything about how the recording was made, or who did it. (Kudo's to Telarc for always listing who the engineer was, the hall used, the microphones used, and the monitors used,none of which are near field types.)
Being a scientist and an engineer, Dr. Toole is an objective type, showing and explaining his findings using charts and graphs.
I would recommend to all who are engaged in this passion filled hobby, to read Dr. Tooles book and watch the video. For some it will confirm your suspicions and for others, well you may not like it. I found the presentation at 1 hour 6 minutes very interesting.

One other thing of interest to YB-2, I worked in a studio that used the NS10, and they were genuine junk. none of us liked them