Thread: External DAC
View Single Post
Old 11-24-2020, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo View Post
Yes. I tried the Dac in the DP550. The sound quality is better than A100 Dac( Four HyperstreamTM ES9009 DAc’s vs Single AK4490 Dac) But thinking of getting stand alone Dac will be better than DP550 and A100?
Yes, there are better DACs. There is always something better.
It will come at a great cost if you want something that would be meaningfully better. What is better? A DAC that will sound “different” because it uses a different chip set and filters?

I personally would not chase something that sits on the very slippery slope of diminishing returns. Unlike speakers, amplifiers, preamplifier and even a front end, digital evolves all the time.

A great speaker does not go obsolete. An expensive DAC might.

Streaming is getting very popular. If you use Tidal for example and believe in MQA, then a DAC that you bought yesterday is no good today. Ok you don’t have to listen to MQA, I don’t but there may be another change tomorrow.

If you like to use Roon, that streamer you bought yesterday may not be a Roon end point today...

In the end, lots of $$$ spent for a slightly different sound and it may be a waste tomorrow.

Having said all that, there are plenty of DACs that you can spend plenty of money on.