View Single Post
Old 03-15-2023, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
LewL, I have been reliably told that the MC3500 is tested at 500 watts before being shipped. I was told that Mac had to call their new amp the MC3500 for obvious reasons, notwithstanding the fact it will do much more easily.

However, in regards to the ARC 750 SEL's, they are clearly more powerful than the 3500. But they are not practical. They are true room heaters and absolutely huge. Compared to the 750, the 3500 is quite small and runs very cool. It is definitely not a room heater. But the 750 is the King, IMO.

The new ARC 320 will do 320 watts per channel but probably not anymore. That would be enough for most folks but not for me. There is nothing closed or restricted in the mids or treble with the 3500 when run through WEL Signature solid silver and Dragon power cords. The bass is simply the best I have heard.

If you ever heard an original MC240 or MC275 through a Bozak Concert Grand, it's the sound I have, except more full range. These amps had bass in steroids. Not boomy or uncontrolled at all, and the most open midrange and beautiful treble. This is what you get with a 3500/XVX.

I might add that this is why I'm not particularly a fan of the hybrid drive. I think any modern Mac tube amp will have great bass. This was the quality that separated the original MC240 from its competitors. As far as I know firms like ARC must outsource their output transformers and they "upgrade" their transformers on occasion. McIntosh is the only manufacturer that makes theirs from scratch, and they have never changed to my knowledge. They can't be duplicated by other companies.

Best

Charles
I haven’t heard the ARC 750s, but I love my MC3500. Definitely not a room heater. Very surprised at how much heat they do not generate. Would love to hear them with some big Wilsons. The 3500s sound great with Focal Scalas. Also sound great with Harbeths.