View Single Post
Old 08-20-2011, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmalak View Post
Jerome...I also think there may be an impedance mismatch between the Ref 5 and the MC2301s which have an input impedance of 20Kohms (SE)/30Kohms (Balanced), and while the Ref 5 says it recommends a minimum of 20Kohm load (which the MC2301s provide), it usually likes to see a much higher impedance (lower load). If you look at all of ARC's amps, they all have input impedances > 100Kohms. I am not saying there will definitely be an issue but there may be one. Again, you can only try and see what you think. A good comparison if you bring the Ref 5 for an audition will be to compare the tonal balance when it is hooked up to the MC2301s vs. hooking it up to your ARC 100.2. I know the MC2301s are much better than the ARC on a lot of things, but compare the tonal balance characteristics (i.e., if any portion of the frequency band is emphasized or recessed), in one vs. the other. The ARC 100.2 has an input impedance of 150Kohms (single ended) and 300Kohms (balanced).

I remember Bob (Vintage_Tube) tried a Ref 3 with his MC2301s and did not like the combo and compared it to the C500 and found the combo with the MC2301s to be superior.
Cyril,
Good advice !
And good memory too ! I did not mention my 100.2 often and now that I deleted all the gear of my sig, I'm really impressed.
Hats Down Sir !