View Single Post
Old 09-25-2018, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.J View Post
Good morning! Greg Gale began this thread and I’m wondering if after all this time he still feels the same way about his upgrade to the Kx5-20? I’m in the same position, have a k5xeMp and am considering upgrading to the the new 20, but the price of admission is a little high for me, have never paid so much for an audio component. And, I’m posting here because I’d like to hear from anyone that has made the switch, would like to hear how you feel about it!

Thanks,

John
Yes I began this thread based on the fact I owned a K5xeMP and upgraded to the KX5-20. I upgraded based on taking home a dealer loaner that was well broken in which sounded so much more lifelike than K5xeMP.

When I took home the new unit, out of the box I was wondering if I made a mistake as it was not as smooth as the dealer unit or my previous K5xeMP. My dealer assured me that given time (200 plus hours or so) the new unit would sound just as good as his store unit. He was right, and somewhere after the 100 hour mark the unit just opened up and sounded great. So the message to you is be patient and you will be rewarded. The unit definitely needs to break in.

The bottom line I have absolutely no regrets and appreciate the pre-amp more and more each day. After reading the review by Stereophile and JA claiming the KX5-20 is superb engineering, I wholeheartedly agree. This unit has an extremely low noise floor which allows the music to emerge from a black backdrop. I also find it sounds good at low or high volume which is a tribute to the volume control design which is quite unique in the industry.

Enjoy.