View Single Post
Old 01-02-2013, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
(Vintage Pete), aka Pete came to visit me yesterday. The drive from Largo to my home is about 3-1/2 hours, so I invited him to spend the night. That was good because it took off the time constraint for him to head back home before it got to late. Pete arrived about 2:00 PM. It was an enjoyable time and I had fun showing off my systems and talking about all things audio. We spent the afternoon listening to the living room system. I cooked bar-b-que chicken on the grill with corn on the cob and we ate dinner about 6:00 PM. By 7:00 PM we were down in the studio.

It has been three years since Pete's last visit and both of my systems have grown and changed, particularly the studio system which doesn't have a single piece of gear or speakers that were there on his last visit. Pete brought a dozen or more CD's to listen to, so I just gave him the remote, showed him how to operate the Esoteric K-03, and turned him loose. I just sat back and watched him play and smile. At one point I took one CD he had just played in the K-03 and played it again in the MCD1100. At the end I asked if he thought I was making a mistake replacing the MCD1100 with the K-03 and he said no. I'm sure Pete will post so I will let him elaborate on his experiences. He took a bunch of photos on his phone and sent them to his pal Joe in Binghamton who was texting him back continuously his responses. We stayed in the studio until after midnight listening to and enjoying all kinds of music. I treated him to some hi-res downloads from the Olive 04HD as well as hi-res via USB from the Sony laptop. I am certain he was rightfully impressed. By midnight I think I had worn Pete out, so I gave him sheets and a blanket, showed him how to operate the theater system remote so he could watch some television and left him in peace.

This morning Pete and I enjoyed fresh ground Starbucks Italian Roast coffee and warm apple danish while listening to Liz Story play her magnificent piano on the living room system. After a few cups of java we went back down to the studio for a few more hours of listening. By noon Pete had to head back to Largo. The visit was great fun for me. I'm pretty sure it was for Pete, too. He had my studio system cranked up more than once. We had a good time.
Sounds like an excellent way to spend a day!

Cheers!

B