View Single Post
Old 04-04-2019, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billion$Baby View Post
Some of you might find this Link below to a GAT vs ARC vs VTL Preamp Shootout useful. I also have a friend that was a former owner of the REF10 but now has the GAT2. He finds the GAT to be more "musical". Obviously you can see below that I have a REF10 so I am not prejudiced in any way. Hope I get the chance to try a GAT down the road.

http://www.theaudiobeat.com/blog/trio_preamps.htm

Hi Billion$Baby, thanks for the info. I found Roy Gregory’s “Shoot Out” article interesting, but given his equivocation it’s difficult for me to discern his conclusion. After reading it twice, I’m left with the sense that his probable personal ranking is: 1. VTL, 2. Ref 10, 3. GAT. In any event, it’s useful information and supports the general conclusion that the three contenders deserve inclusion in the universe of elite preamps.

The article does a good job of illustrating why it’s very difficult to unequivocally determine how an individual component ranks relative to its competitors due to the test component’s complex interplay with the reference system’s other gear, the room’s acoustics, the characteristics and recording quality of the music being played and the preferences of the evaluator.

This reinforces the idea that the insight of fellow audiophiles combined with your own long term listening experiences are probably your best guide in determining the gear best suited to your needs.

Thanks again for your input.

Mike