View Single Post
Old 04-03-2019, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dth31 View Post
Hi Mike. I previously owned the mk2, but not the mk2 SE. There was a very big difference between the mk2 and Master. Having said that, I was VERY happy with the mk2 and wasn’t looking to upgrade. But once I heard the Master, it was hard to consider not purchasing it.

I personally would be hesitant to buy a linestage preamp with a built-in phono unless my budget was severely constrained. It is definitely cost-efficient in the short term to buy a preamp with a built in phono, but the phono will often be the weakest link in the amplification chain and the first candidate for upgrading. Even the MC phono on the Master isn’t nearly as good as the linestage. The phono is very quiet, but I don’t care for the Lundahl input transformers. IMO, and YMMV, that phono sounds a lot better with MC cartridges using a separate SUT into the MM inputs. For example, I much preferred a Bob’s Devices SUT into the MM inputs rather than using the stock MC inputs. Bigger soundstage, warmer, richer and WAY more dynamic with Bob’s into MM input.

Hi Dth31, that is wonderful input and makes perfect sense. My personal bias, based upon decades of prior CJ ownership, is to go with the GAT S2 pre and the ART 150 amp. However, my big concern with CJ is the future viability of the company, particularly, now that Bill and Lew have retired. I’m delighted to see that CJ has refreshed its product line and that CJ also seems to be regaining a bit of their prior stature in the audio marketplace.

I’ll be turning 72 this month and am expecting that I probably won’t be doing much in the way of future upgrade (other than a hearing aid[emoji30][emoji30]), so I feel it’s prudent to do some due diligence before I proceed. Your input is invaluable and I greatly appreciate it.

Thanks, Mike