AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Esoteric Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=140)
-   -   Esoteric N-01XD (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=48673)

thyname 09-19-2020 05:54 PM

Esoteric N-01XD

Anyone here has this? Thanks

GuillaumeB 09-26-2020 05:29 AM

Yes I’ve had one in my system for a few months now... fabulous streaming DAC!

Couldn’t be happier, sound quality is up there with the best and the convenience of having the streamer/renderer in the same box seems to come with very few penalties. Not Roon Ready yet but this is imminent I understand. Supports just about every format you can throw at it: MQA, DXD, 8 x DSD, and lots of upsampling/filter options.

Looking forward to extracting even more performance when I get round to upgrading my master clock and inserting that new Sigma v2 Clock 50 cables into my system!

Cheers,

Guillaume

thyname 09-26-2020 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GuillaumeB (Post 1015493)

Couldn’t be happier, sound quality is up there with the best and the convenience of having the streamer/renderer in the same box seems to come with very few penalties. Not Roon Ready yet but this is imminent I understand. Supports just about every format you can throw at it: MQA, DXD, 8 x DSD, and lots of upsampling/filter options.

Looking forward to extracting even more performance when I get round to upgrading my master clock and inserting that new Sigma v2 Clock 50 cables into my system!

Cheers,

Guillaume

Thanks for chiming in! How does it compare with other DACs you have, or have had?

As for Roon Ready, the website advertises it as such, but it is not? Also, on Roon partners website, they list N-01 as Roon Ready, but you are saying N-01XD is not? https://roonlabs.com/partner-esoteric

SCAudiophile 09-26-2020 08:46 AM

Get ready for a great uplift when you take your Sigma Clock50 V1s to V2.

Same for the AES/EBU V2s...

I did not think Sigma V1 digitals could be bested....here to tell you after a few days with the AES and the CLOCK50 V2s I have moved to that there are more amazing things to hear thanks to these V2 digital cables!

Enjoy!

Levitator 09-26-2020 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thyname (Post 1015496)
Thanks for chiming in! How does it compare with other DACs you have, or have had?

As for Roon Ready, the website advertises it as such, but it is not? Also, on Roon partners website, they list N-01 as Roon Ready, but you are saying N-01XD is not? https://roonlabs.com/partner-esoteric

I have had the N-03T for well over 12 months and it was supposedly close to being Roon certified when I bought it, yet it is still not Roon certified. Somewhat frustrating given it should not take that long to certify so hopefully your experience isn’t the same with what looks like a fantastic new product...

GuillaumeB 09-30-2020 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thyname (Post 1015496)

N-01XD is a completely new streaming DAC and as such is currently undergoing Roon certification. I have been assured by the European distributor that this is coming very soon! Once I have more news on this front I will be sure to report back.

Re other DACs I am also the proud owner of the TotalDac D1-seven and matching D1-server. This is a 5 box solution (incl. 3 PSUs). In my mind I have massively simplified my setup and am getting even better sound!

Inserting the new Shunyata Sigma v2 clock cables has been nothing short of a revelation. I am now planning my next move in terms of upgrading master clocks (currently using the Cybershaft OP14).

The N-01 XD is a monster of a performer and I couldn't be happier.

Guillaume

GuillaumeB 09-30-2020 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Levitator (Post 1015603)
I have had the N-03T for well over 12 months and it was supposedly close to being Roon certified when I bought it, yet it is still not Roon certified. Somewhat frustrating given it should not take that long to certify so hopefully your experience isn’t the same with what looks like a fantastic new product...

I've been promised that it's not far away now.

Question is... how will Roon compare to Esoteric Sound Stream in terms of SQ?!

Guillaume

chadisrc 10-01-2020 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GuillaumeB (Post 1015493)

Cheers,

Guillaume

I have been curious out this network player, it really does seem to be a complete unit. When you look at a the cost of a streamer/dac/cables, this is just awesome. Nice to see some real world feedback.

The addition of the FPGA DAC is a big deal since it is upgradeable now, and will give the equipment more longevity. This was a good move by Esoteric. Please keep us posted, would like to hear more about it.

thyname 10-01-2020 08:50 PM

My brand spanking new N-01XD should arrive in a couple of weeks. I am excited

chadisrc 10-02-2020 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thyname (Post 1016182)

:banana:

btn2803 10-02-2020 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thyname (Post 1016182)

Congrats.
Do let us know your impression. The N01 XD is on top of my list.

Thanks.

thyname 10-02-2020 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by btn2803 (Post 1016277)
Congrats.

Thanks.

Will do! I do have high expectations though. It will have to beat my MSB Discrete DAC hands down, with no “blind tests” required, or it’s out on chopping block.

chadisrc 10-02-2020 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thyname (Post 1016278)
Will do! I do have high expectations though. It will have to beat my MSB Discrete DAC hands down, with no “blind tests” required, or it’s out on chopping block.

Wow, great comparison. I am anxious to see what your thoughts are. Probably not as anxious as yourself of course :)

Please keep us posted

bart 10-03-2020 01:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thyname (Post 1016278)

:lurk:

thyname 10-27-2020 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by btn2803 (Post 1016277)
Congrats.

Thanks.

I will say one thing now that my Esoteric N-01XD arrived: it blew the MSB Discrete out of the water. Hands down.

This is an astonishing DAC. Very happy with my purchase. By far the best impact on my overall system I have ever had. And I have had a lot. Speakers, amps, you name it. ‘ Nuf said

SCAudiophile 10-27-2020 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thyname (Post 1019057)
I will say one thing now that my Esoteric N-01XD arrived: it blew the MSB Discrete out of the water. Hands down.

This is an astonishing DAC. Very happy with my purchase. By far the best impact on my overall system I have ever had. And I have had a lot. Speakers, amps, you name it. ‘ Nuf said

Congratulations on owning this incredible unit!!!

chadisrc 10-28-2020 12:58 AM

Quote:

Wow, that is quite the endorsement :) Huge congrats on the new unit! What is the biggest difference between the MSB and the N-01XD? What do you love about it so much? Thanks for sharing by the way.

thyname 10-28-2020 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chadisrc (Post 1019102)
Wow, that is quite the endorsement :) Huge congrats on the new unit! What is the biggest difference between the MSB and the N-01XD? What do you love about it so much? Thanks for sharing by the way.

Thanks very much.

The N-01XD has huge sound, if I were to describe it that way. It expands way wider than the MSB, height, depth, withd. Very "3d" like. It has a great timbre and accurate tonality, something I really enjoy, true to the natural as it can be. Very detailed, "high resolution", all the "sparkle", at the same time not fatiguing. If I were to contrast the MSB Discrete side by side, I would describe the MSB is as "soft" and "cozy".

btn2803 10-28-2020 10:49 AM

Quote:

Thanks for sharing your feedback. It would certainly helps me in narrowing the field. :thumbsup:

2fastdriving 10-28-2020 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thyname (Post 1019112)
Thanks very much.

The N-01XD has huge sound, if I were to describe it that way. It expands way wider than the MSB, height, depth, withd. Very "3d" like. It has a great timbre and accurate tonality, something I really enjoy, true to the natural as it can be. Very detailed, "high resolution", all the "sparkle", at the same time not fatiguing. If I were to contrast the MSB Discrete side by side, I would describe the MSB is as "soft" and "cozy".

Wow, sounds amazing. Do you have any experience with older esoteric, like the K-01x? I'm curious how you feel it compares to those based on the AKM dacs.

Same question to anyone reading this. :scratch2:

thyname 10-28-2020 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2fastdriving (Post 1019126)
Do you have any experience with older esoteric, like the K-01x?

I do not. This was my first Esoteric piece ever.

2fastdriving 10-28-2020 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thyname (Post 1019127)
I do not. This was my first Esoteric piece ever.

Well, you are doing it right! Congrats :banana:

thyname 11-14-2020 06:46 PM

Quick update. Not much to say. This is definitely my endgame DAC. It’s truly outstanding. Get one if you can

adol290 11-18-2020 02:32 PM

thyname,

Have you tried plugging in a portable SSD drive into the USB drive port on the back of the unit. Curious if it will read flac files from a 2TB drive like the Samsung T5 or T7.

I'm seriously trying to convince myself i don't need it. Currently running a
K-01x.

2fastdriving 11-18-2020 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adol290 (Post 1021579)
thyname,

Has you tried plugging in a portable SSD drive into the USB drive port on the back of the unit. Curious if it will read flac files from a 2TB drive like the Samsung T5 or T7.

K-01x.

ditto! I'm hearing these XD units are soooo good.

thyname 11-18-2020 09:32 PM

Quote:

thyname,

Have you tried plugging in a portable SSD drive into the USB drive port on the back of the unit. Curious if it will read flac files from a 2TB drive like the Samsung T5 or T7.

K-01x.

I hadn’t, until today, since you asked.

I connected a portable 2 TB WD HDD. It works great. Using the Esoteric app on my iPad as a controller.

I personally use Roon, with my library inside the internal SSD on my Roon Core, but it’s good to know this option exists.

adol290 11-18-2020 10:09 PM

Thanks for testing.

Wondered if it would not have enough power. That's key for me.

Talked to a dealer today, and waiting on a quote, using my K-01x as a trade in.

SCAudiophile 11-19-2020 09:30 AM

Quote:

That's not hard to believe at all from my perspective. Last year in Munich I went directly from the Esoteric P1X and D1X combo (same FPGA DACs but dual mono boxes) to find the full MSB Select multibox top of the line setup which was to my ears not musically exciting and not what I was hoping to hear from a 100K DAC-only stack in terms of soundstage, imaging, transparency. Opinions vary I know however, to me Esoteric is sitting atop the mountain with these new in-house DACs and all they surround them with in the build.

There was mention of Roon earlier,...according to their site, Esoteric says they are working to finalize Roon Ready certification for the N-01XD for those interested.

Now, where's that winning lottery ticket? [emoji1787]

thyname 11-19-2020 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCAudiophile (Post 1021639)

There was mention of Roon earlier,...according to their site, Esoteric says they are working to finalize Roon Ready certification for the N-01XD for those interested.

The Esoteric N-01XD is not Roon Ready. Yet. I know they are working on it.

I was lucky to learn about this debacle before the Roon deadline (September 21 as I remember), and was able to get an exception ("developer" program status, so to speak) from Roon, since I ordered mine back in late August. So, although it is still not certified, I am still able to use it with Roon. Works great.

For those who are buying now, you will have to wait until the official Roon Ready certification is completed to be able to use with Roon

wklie 11-19-2020 11:26 PM

Quote:

Have you tried plugging in a portable SSD drive into the USB drive port on the back of the unit.

Please do not use a USB storage device that draws over 500mA. Thumb drive or recent 2.5" HDD is usually fine, but some SSD requires too much power.

adol290 11-20-2020 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wklie (Post 1021720)
Please do not use a USB storage device that draws over 500mA. Thumb drive or recent 2.5" HDD is usually fine, but some SSD requires too much power.

Thanks

adol290 12-03-2020 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thyname (Post 1021604)
I hadn’t, until today, since you asked.

I connected a portable 2 TB WD HDD. It works great. Using the Esoteric app on my iPad as a controller.

I personally use Roon, with my library inside the internal SSD on my Roon Core, but it’s good to know this option exists.

So when you access the songs from the HDD how does it appear. I read somewhere, that on the N-01 when you accessed the songs from the USB input they appeared as folders only. There was no album art. Is this also true for the N-01XD

thyname 12-03-2020 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adol290 (Post 1023718)
So when you access the songs from the HDD how does it appear. I read somewhere, that on the N-01 when you accessed the songs from the USB input they appeared as folders only. There was no album art. Is this also true for the N-01XD

Definitely album artwork and such. No folders. No different that STREAMING through the N-01XD

adol290 12-03-2020 01:07 PM

That's good news. I have one on order.

wklie 12-04-2020 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adol290 (Post 1023718)

False.

Place album art as a file named exactly as folder.jpg in lowercase in the folder.

adol290 12-05-2020 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wklie (Post 1023922)
False.

Place album art as a file named exactly as folder.jpg in lowercase in the folder.

Thanks,

Most other products i had used, defaulted to Folder.jpg.

Even DBpoweramp defaults to this. Just did a test and yes it must be lower.

Got some name changing to do. Only have done about 20 albums for far.

KahunaCanuck 12-29-2020 05:18 PM

Just got my N-01XD a few days ago, am still breaking it in...so far the big differences are not just the overall sound, but how much better it is with CD quality and less compared to my K-03. The high res FLACs & DSD sound incredibly "analog" don't get me wrong, but the difference between those and more standard files is less of a step. I feel like I am getting much more out of all file types. Thrilled doesn't cover it!!

gaboudreaux 12-30-2020 03:19 PM

Getting more and more interested in the N-01XD replacing my Aurender N10 and Ayre QX-5 Twenty. Like the idea of one less box in my system. Wonder if and how much of an improvement.

thyname 12-30-2020 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gaboudreaux (Post 1027619)
Getting more and more interested in the N-01XD replacing my Aurender N10 and Ayre QX-5 Twenty. Like the idea of one less box in my system. Wonder if and how much of an improvement.

I used to own the Ayre QX-5 Twenty a couple of years ago, but the fully loaded version with network bridge built in (streamed through that, not USB, just Ethernet in). While the Ayre is great, and a tremendous value for the price, the Esoteric N-01XD is in a different league, as it should be, at double the Ayre's price.

gaboudreaux 01-13-2021 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thyname (Post 1027624)
I used to own the Ayre QX-5 Twenty a couple of years ago, but the fully loaded version with network bridge built in (streamed through that, not USB, just Ethernet in). While the Ayre is great, and a tremendous value for the price, the Esoteric N-01XD is in a different league, as it should be, at double the Ayre's price.

So better than the QX-5 Twenty, but do you think moving to the N-01XD would be an upgrade compared to the N10/QX-5 Twenty combo?