AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Esoteric Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=140)
-   -   Esoteric N-01XD (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=48673)

thyname 10-28-2020 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2fastdriving (Post 1019126)
Do you have any experience with older esoteric, like the K-01x?

I do not. This was my first Esoteric piece ever.

2fastdriving 10-28-2020 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thyname (Post 1019127)
I do not. This was my first Esoteric piece ever.

Well, you are doing it right! Congrats :banana:

thyname 11-14-2020 06:46 PM

Quick update. Not much to say. This is definitely my endgame DAC. It’s truly outstanding. Get one if you can

adol290 11-18-2020 02:32 PM

thyname,

Have you tried plugging in a portable SSD drive into the USB drive port on the back of the unit. Curious if it will read flac files from a 2TB drive like the Samsung T5 or T7.

I'm seriously trying to convince myself i don't need it. Currently running a
K-01x.

2fastdriving 11-18-2020 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adol290 (Post 1021579)
thyname,

Has you tried plugging in a portable SSD drive into the USB drive port on the back of the unit. Curious if it will read flac files from a 2TB drive like the Samsung T5 or T7.

K-01x.

ditto! I'm hearing these XD units are soooo good.

thyname 11-18-2020 09:32 PM

Quote:

thyname,

Have you tried plugging in a portable SSD drive into the USB drive port on the back of the unit. Curious if it will read flac files from a 2TB drive like the Samsung T5 or T7.

K-01x.

I hadn’t, until today, since you asked.

I connected a portable 2 TB WD HDD. It works great. Using the Esoteric app on my iPad as a controller.

I personally use Roon, with my library inside the internal SSD on my Roon Core, but it’s good to know this option exists.

adol290 11-18-2020 10:09 PM

Thanks for testing.

Wondered if it would not have enough power. That's key for me.

Talked to a dealer today, and waiting on a quote, using my K-01x as a trade in.

SCAudiophile 11-19-2020 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thyname (Post 1019057)
I will say one thing now that my Esoteric N-01XD arrived: it blew the MSB Discrete out of the water. Hands down.

This is an astonishing DAC. Very happy with my purchase. By far the best impact on my overall system I have ever had. And I have had a lot. Speakers, amps, you name it. ‘ Nuf said

That's not hard to believe at all from my perspective. Last year in Munich I went directly from the Esoteric P1X and D1X combo (same FPGA DACs but dual mono boxes) to find the full MSB Select multibox top of the line setup which was to my ears not musically exciting and not what I was hoping to hear from a 100K DAC-only stack in terms of soundstage, imaging, transparency. Opinions vary I know however, to me Esoteric is sitting atop the mountain with these new in-house DACs and all they surround them with in the build.

There was mention of Roon earlier,...according to their site, Esoteric says they are working to finalize Roon Ready certification for the N-01XD for those interested.

Now, where's that winning lottery ticket? [emoji1787]

thyname 11-19-2020 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCAudiophile (Post 1021639)

There was mention of Roon earlier,...according to their site, Esoteric says they are working to finalize Roon Ready certification for the N-01XD for those interested.

The Esoteric N-01XD is not Roon Ready. Yet. I know they are working on it.

I was lucky to learn about this debacle before the Roon deadline (September 21 as I remember), and was able to get an exception ("developer" program status, so to speak) from Roon, since I ordered mine back in late August. So, although it is still not certified, I am still able to use it with Roon. Works great.

For those who are buying now, you will have to wait until the official Roon Ready certification is completed to be able to use with Roon

wklie 11-19-2020 11:26 PM

Quote:

Have you tried plugging in a portable SSD drive into the USB drive port on the back of the unit.

Please do not use a USB storage device that draws over 500mA. Thumb drive or recent 2.5" HDD is usually fine, but some SSD requires too much power.