AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Shunyata Research (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Delta XC + Hydra Delta D6 = Oh my! (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=48121)

DMelby 07-23-2020 05:34 PM

Great review!

jimtranr 07-23-2020 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjryan (Post 1009709)
Jim -
Wonderful review! I, too, am ready to upgrade to a Delta v2 to feed my Denali v1. I'm having a hard time deciding whether to go with the NR version or the XC version.

In your experience, would you say the NR filter is necessary with a Denali v1? Sorry for the subjective question!

Ryan

Thanks, Ryan.

I have no experience with any version of the Denali, so I don't have a direct comparison to share. But I did a lot of mental coin flips over whether to go with the XC or NR version of the Delta v2 to feed my Delta D6 distributor before I finally opted to order the XC. Two factors influenced my decision: (1) a number of references in other threads here to the XC's focus on delivering current to a system's power distributor; and (2) the noticeable improvement the D6 itself conferred on system performance over the Hydra 8 v2 that previously fed AC to the system's components. I figured at that point that the D6's own NR capability (along with that of a Defender v2 plugged into the wall duplex's other outlet and whatever NR cords are used downstream) would be sufficient.

As my review may suggest, I don't regret the choice of the XC for that function one bit. In fact, about 20 playback hours after I posted my last assessment of the XC, the sonic presentation opened up another huge notch, bringing me as listener even "closer" to the recorded performance.

At the same time, I do have a Delta NR v2 on order. I originally intended it to replace the Delta NR v1 feeding the system's DAC, but in the meantime I've acquired a used IEC-socketed line stage that replaces a captive-corded preamp. A Venom 10NR borrowed from my living-room system currently feeds the "new" acquisition, but the Delta NR v2 will take over for the Venom when it arrives. I expect to share my impressions after I've had some listening time with it.

In my system, at least, using an XC for the wall-to-distributor feed and NRs from the distributor to downstream components seems to be just the ticket.

HTH.

jimtranr 07-23-2020 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMelby (Post 1009714)
Great review!

Thanks, Dr. Melby. But the XC deserves the credit. It all but wrote its own review.

Levitator 07-23-2020 07:00 PM

Thanks for sharing - nothing better than when the wife engages like yours has! It gives us some hope that they might understand why we pursue this crazy hobby...

jimtranr 07-23-2020 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Levitator (Post 1009719)
Thanks for sharing - nothing better than when the wife engages like yours has! It gives us some hope that they might understand why we pursue this crazy hobby...

Shortly after we started going together, I knew she was a keeper when she let me drill holes through her living-room carpet and hardwood floor so I could run Fulton Gold speaker cable underneath to the nearby closet she let me use as the audio equipment control center. But even with that and the passage of 39 years, she still occasionally shakes her head in a manner that signifies "you want to do what?" :D

Masterlu 07-23-2020 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimtranr (Post 1009727)
Shortly after we started going together, I knew she was a keeper when she let me drill holes through her living-room carpet and hardwood floor so I could run Fulton Gold speaker cable underneath to the nearby closet she let me use as the audio equipment control center. But even with that and the passage of 39 years, she still occasionally shakes her head in a manner that signifies "you want to do what?" :D

:laughin:

Puma Cat 07-24-2020 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimtranr (Post 1009727)

OMG...Fulton Gold. I have a bunch of that sitting in a storage bin in my garage. :D

DaveM 07-24-2020 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjryan (Post 1009709)
Jim -
Wonderful review! I, too, am ready to upgrade to a Delta v2 to feed my Denali v1. I'm having a hard time deciding whether to go with the NR version or the XC version.

In your experience, would you say the NR filter is necessary with a Denali v1? Sorry for the subjective question!

Ryan

Hi Ryan,

Go with the XC. Not only will you save yourself about $100 but it will perform better when using from the wall outlet to the Denali. Refer to what Caelin told me in the recent thread I started.

https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=48287

After hearing all of the glowing comments, I am anxiously waiting to receive my Shunyata order!

Dave

MacBook Pro (late 2016), Synergistic Research Atmosphere X USB cable, TEAC NT-505 with Atmosphere Alive Level 1 power cable, TEAC CG-10M, Alive Level 1 XLR with SR connectors, Parasound Halo A21+ with Foundation HC power cable, Foundation IRT bi-wire speaker cables, Revel PerformaBe F228Be
On order: Shunyata Research Denali 6000/S v2 with Sigma v2 XC power cable

beowulf 07-24-2020 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimtranr (Post 1005465)
You'll note that I've already begun scrounging up for the NR v2. :D

https://www.audioaficionado.org/pict...pictureid=5217

Off to a good start, you will only need about 997 more jars! :D

rjryan 08-01-2020 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimtranr (Post 1009715)
Thanks, Ryan.

I have no experience with any version of the Denali, so I don't have a direct comparison to share. But I did a lot of mental coin flips over whether to go with the XC or NR version of the Delta v2 to feed my Delta D6 distributor before I finally opted to order the XC. Two factors influenced my decision: (1) a number of references in other threads here to the XC's focus on delivering current to a system's power distributor; and (2) the noticeable improvement the D6 itself conferred on system performance over the Hydra 8 v2 that previously fed AC to the system's components. I figured at that point that the D6's own NR capability (along with that of a Defender v2 plugged into the wall duplex's other outlet and whatever NR cords are used downstream) would be sufficient.

As my review may suggest, I don't regret the choice of the XC for that function one bit. In fact, about 20 playback hours after I posted my last assessment of the XC, the sonic presentation opened up another huge notch, bringing me as listener even "closer" to the recorded performance.

At the same time, I do have a Delta NR v2 on order. I originally intended it to replace the Delta NR v1 feeding the system's DAC, but in the meantime I've acquired a used IEC-socketed line stage that replaces a captive-corded preamp. A Venom 10NR borrowed from my living-room system currently feeds the "new" acquisition, but the Delta NR v2 will take over for the Venom when it arrives. I expect to share my impressions after I've had some listening time with it.

In my system, at least, using an XC for the wall-to-distributor feed and NRs from the distributor to downstream components seems to be just the ticket.

HTH.

Many thanks for your thoughtful response!