AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   MBL, dCS, Goldmund, Gryphon etc (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   dCS Vivaldi with or without preamp? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=29347)

ct991 10-15-2015 01:15 PM

I had originally thought that going directly from the Vivaldi DAC to the amps would sound just as good or maybe better than having a preamp in the chain, but after some comparisons (to my ears at least) preamp did improve the sound. I use Transparent Ref MM (MM2) cables for interconnects and speakers.

edwhto 05-16-2018 06:39 AM

I have tried to drive my Accuphase A200 direct by Vivaldi and through C3800. With the pre-amp, the sound is much richer and airy. Probably because of the synergy of the same brand pre and power amps.

Cincy2 05-25-2018 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cincy2 (Post 657874)
Here is another opinion. I'm running the Vivaldi DAC/UpS/Clock without a pre-amp and love it. I only use a single input to the Vivaldi hardware - my Mac Mini. I don't play head banger music that might benefit from a pre-amp. Mostly classical and acoustic jazz. The lower output of the DAC (2VDC) is adequate for all I listen to. The sound is sublime. Would it be better with a pre-amp? I am not motivated to find out since the set up I have meets all me emotional needs.

Cincy

I've been away for a while due to work requirements. Now that I have the time to return, I feel compelled to revisit my opinion above. I replaced my dCS Vivaldi DAC, upsampler and clock with an MSB Select II DAC. I'm running it direct to my mono blocks. During my in house demo, I had the opportunity to compare the Vivaldi DAC output to the MSB direct output. The Vivaldi output was thin in comparison to what the MSB DAC could produce. Fuller, richer, better dynamics. To my ears, the MSB produced what a reference pre amp would have added to the equation. Certainly this DAC is on a level above any of the dCS gear I've owned during the past 15 years. I never thought I would switch. My MSB DAC arrives on Tuesday.

Cincy

ctsooner 06-29-2018 12:25 PM

I have also heard the newest MSB DAC and love it. I didn't like the last gen one though. I'm not a DCS fan either as it's still a bit dry for my tastes, but this is why we have so many options. I run an integrated, but am thinking about Vandersteen mono's. I'm about to take possession of The Memory Player with a new internal DAC built in. They want me to try it without a pre as they have a different way to implement the direct output so you don't lose any data when lowering the sound level.

I have never heard any DAC that didn't benefit from a pre amp. I'm not even sure if the MSB was being run direct, but I think he was going through the MSB pre as he was ready for show at his store. I'll have to ask him. It's a great debate, but there are so many variables, that there isn't one right answer for every system.

byZan 07-07-2018 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TLi (Post 657235)
I have the Vivaldi stack. Playing directly to amps will give you slightly better resolution. It can be a bit abrasive and dry at times. I use ARC reference 10 and prefer the sound with preamp over direct connection. I enjoy the music more with Ref 10.

Playing it direct makes me harder to fall into the music and forget the equipment. A tube based preamp should be a better match to Vivaldi.

I agree:music:

/byZan

dkrm 03-17-2021 10:25 AM

For many years I been using my Vivaldi via Goldmund 32.5. Recently I tested is using same setup but on bypass mode (analog 13 input, for those familiar with Goldmund 32.5) and I found I like it better. IMO it has better resolution