AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Boulder Electronics (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=156)
-   -   Boulder Power LEDs are too bright!!! (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=49265)

Still-One 12-24-2020 06:22 PM

I don't think front panel brightness has ever been part of my criteria when considering a purchase. It would have to be something to pass of Boulder quality and SQ.

BillK 12-25-2020 05:33 AM

My gear is in my living room, which is also my home theater if you will and is at a lower light level.

Putting the 1110 in my rack resulted in the power LED shining directly into my eyes at a rather obnoxious level, and it appears the 1160 LED would do the same.

My dealer's listening room is more well lit, and by comparison the LEDs and display on my Ayre equipment can all be dimmed to three levels or shut completely off.

On the Boulder pre only the display backlighting can be adjusted.

Boulder's not the only one by far; though the displays on Moon gear can be dimmed, their lowest level is also retina-searing, but thankfully they too can be switched off.

You cannot shut off the Boulder LEDs without pulling the plug.

George Prentice 12-25-2020 04:11 PM

I must admit it is REALLY disappointing to get a really high end piece of equipment and to find they have not thought through absolutely every aspect of its performance. I am really suprised at Boulder. I think nearly all pieces of equipment I have owned in the last twenty years have had display adjustments... generally not amps as they have a dim light so they do not need it. While when I was young and thirsted for the best sound at any cost... looks were of no consequence. I no longer accept that. I want both great looks and performance and am willing to pay for it. To me, the light would be deal killer... I am not going to be taping over a really high end piece of equipment.

Masterlu 12-25-2020 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by George Prentice (Post 1027102)
To me, the light would be deal killer... I am not going to be taping over a really high end piece of equipment.

Me too; I am also a picky purchaser.

Cohibaman 12-25-2020 07:12 PM

I’d simply modify it with a lower power LED. Shouldn’t have to but nothing is perfect.

Antonmb 12-25-2020 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by George Prentice (Post 1027102)
...I am not going to be taping over a really high end piece of equipment.

I understand the sentiment, but for what it’s worth, the LightDims aren’t tape, they’re a thin film available in blackout or dimming. They come in a variety of sizes, and when applied to a simple LED, the small round dimming ones aren’t visible and just dim the LED to an acceptable level - they don’t look in the least tacky.

Unfortunately the brightness of LEDs is something many manufacturers fail to consider.

FastEddy 12-26-2020 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillK (Post 1027052)
My gear is in my living room, which is also my home theater if you will and is at a lower light level.

Putting the 1110 in my rack resulted in the power LED shining directly into my eyes at a rather obnoxious level, and it appears the 1160 LED would do the same.

My dealer's listening room is more well lit, and by comparison the LEDs and display on my Ayre equipment can all be dimmed to three levels or shut completely off.

On the Boulder pre only the display backlighting can be adjusted.

Boulder's not the only one by far; though the displays on Moon gear can be dimmed, their lowest level is also retina-searing, but thankfully they too can be switched off.

You cannot shut off the Boulder LEDs without pulling the plug.

My 1110 is in a rack behind the listening position so never considered this issue. Looking at it now, yeah it is pretty bright. I would hate to put a dot over it because the pre looks so good. Maybe Boulder can supply a color matched dot.

The 3060 light is a pretty low key triangle outlined by light. My 2060 had an LED that was red when off and orange when on, and not too bright.

Masterlu 12-26-2020 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cohibaman (Post 1027114)
Shouldn’t have to but nothing is perfect.

Well, that just isn’t true... :D

https://cdn.supadupa.me/shop/48674/i...7_massive.jpeg

SCAudiophile 12-26-2020 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 1027184)

Now that IS perfect and has my two favorite colors,....orange and tan [emoji2]

PHC1 12-26-2020 06:44 PM

Bikini way too bright! Just saying... ;)