AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   General Speaker Discussion (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   Central channel for my Rockport ! (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=49575)

Monisi 02-22-2021 02:26 AM

Central channel for my Rockport !

Dear all,
I live in Italy.
Since 2017 I owned a pair of Rockport Avior. I’m absolutely fixed and happy with these wonderful pair of speakers for music, but since then I was looking for a central channel for my Rockport, because I’m using my stereo equipmemt also for audiovideo and multichannel music.
Unfortunately it won’t be possible to put another Avior in the center, because I need something smaller under my 65’ oled screen. I’m looking for something could respect the “personality” of my leading speakers.
I’m pleased to share my passion with Audioaficionado’s people and I like the way and respect between us.
Please if someone could give an hint... :thumbsup:

Roberto

Monisi 02-23-2021 01:15 AM

I would like to add some more particular to help people in the group to give me ideas and advices. I’ll appreciate for every contribution.
Some time ago, I spoke with Andy Payor (Rockport’s patron), it was very kind and , of course, competent. My Avior is the first interpretation before the Avior II.
He told me that , unfortunately, he built central channel in the ast, but they was with different drivers, dedicated to the previous Rockport’s design in the past years. For that reason, he dissuaded me to go into buying a second hand Rockport’s central channel. However it was very nice, asking me questions about amplification and my room etc...
He told me that in his opinion, could be good to choose a central channel fron Aerial Acoustics, because he is familiar with the brand, and in his opinion the “voice” (in italian we say for it TIMBRO MUSICALE), is very clear and balanced with Rockport’s sound.
Unfortunately here in Italy, Aerial loudspeakers are not so popular, and because of that, the only choice for me could be to go into a blind purchase on one of the Aerial’s central channels without seeing and listening in advance. I don’t want to do that.

Now I’ll try to explain my chain:

Monisi 02-23-2021 01:44 AM

I will tell you something more about my equipment...
The Avior are powered with a McIntosh MC 452 (on two channel listening the preamplifier is a McIntosh C 500 T); on audiovideo and multichannel music I connected an Arcam AVR 750 receiver for the rear loudspeakers (Dynaudio Xeo 2 wireless active speakers), and for the present central channel (Sonus Faber Piccolo Solo).
Sorry for the difficulties...
Summarizing: in audiovideo balance the MC 452 is powering front loudspeakers, the Arcam is connected to the Dynaudio rear channels and to the central Sonus Faber, AND... the Arcam is also the preamplifier for everything in audiovideo. Vice versa when I listen in two channels preamplifier it’s absolutely McIntosh C500 T. My video sources are Oppo 105 D multiregion, Netflix etc.
Sorry for complications thank you so much for your patience :-)

joey_v 02-23-2021 03:57 AM

Man that’s going to be a tough order. I had the Aviors before. Not sure what I would do for a center channel

Monisi 02-25-2021 01:44 AM

joey_v Thank you for your very helpful and illuminating speech :tresbon:

Maybe (you can guess), I am thinking about that, since a long ago. I read and spoke with audiophile friends...
If someone has productive ideas and some hints I’ll be grateful. :thumbsup:

Monisi 02-25-2021 02:19 AM

One question I’d like to submit to the group is :
to put as center channel an active speaker (maybe Dynaudio?), what in that case the advantages and handicaps?
1) My idea is that a very good quality active speaker, has inside his dedicated high quality amplifier and could “bypass” Arcam amplifier (something different from McIntosh powering front channel).
2) additionaly, I could think about a central ch. having same or similar sensitivity as Rockport has (89,5 db), I don’t know if I’m wrong but my belief is trying to tend to balance (as reality permits), all components.
:music:

piolaxo 02-25-2021 11:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Long shot, but you could search for a Rockport Merak center-channel (2009?).
This is a picture that I found.

Monisi 03-14-2021 11:35 PM

Sorry because I’m late. Thank you piolaxo :yes: for your suggestion, but unfortunately it’s not possible to do that...
I spoke by phone directly with Andy Payor, he told me that the older central channel by Rockport, absolutely it cannot match with the next generation Rockport driver’s as Avior, at that time he told me I could try with a central channel from Aerial brand (he thinks that Aerial’s voice is quite similar to Rockport’s ), but the problem is that here in Italia, Aerial it’s not so popular, I couldn’t have a central channel to listen in comparison to others... my only chance could be to order and buy, blind eyes, an Aerial central channel with my fingers crossed?
I don’t want to go into that.

Maybe there is someone here, expert on Aerial? :thumbsup: He could give me some hints about some other brands (more popular here in Italy 🇮🇹 ), with similar “voice”? In that case I could have in my house for a test and comparison more easily!

Thank you for your time
Roberto