AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   JL Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   JL Audio CR-1 vs McIntosh Men220 (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=47252)

iefbo 12-12-2019 05:46 PM

JL Audio CR-1 vs McIntosh Men220

Looking to integrate a JL Audio F113 into a stereo setup with McIntosh components and Sonus Faber speakers.
JL Audio CR-1 vs McIntosh Men220, which would you recommend and why?
Thanks!

jameslrock 12-12-2019 07:32 PM

I use the MEN 220 with my two F113v2s. The MEN 220 matches my gear, handles the crossover, and has RoomPerfect which is for me indispensable for my room. It does an analog to digital to analog to incorporate the RoomPerfect and for some that is a downside. I have always wondered if that counteracts my Esoteric K-03x DAC. Do not know for sure but the MEN 220 sounds great at least to me and is easy to blend the speakers and the subs. For the purists I would think the CR-1 is a great choice. I recall when one of the designers came to my house and brought a prototype well before they settled on the final design. Quite an impressive unit. Crwilli (Craig) can help you with the CR-1 as he has it well integrated in his system.

crwilli 12-12-2019 11:12 PM

I have owned both in different systems for different reasons.

The MEN220 was instrumental in allowing me to blend/balance a set of Infinity Reference Standard Betas in an old room. I used its xover, room perfect and custom EQ capabilities to blend the woofer columns with the upper panels AMD the room. The digital to analog to digital conversions were irrelevant as I could t make the speakers work in that room without the functionality of the MEN220.

In my current room where I too blend a Fathom 113v2 with my Strads, the all analog CR1 provides all the functionality I need. Horses for courses.

iefbo 12-13-2019 05:59 AM

If I oversimplify what I read:
- the MEN220 is chosen for convenience, but room correction will impact sound quality
- the CR1 is chosen because it allows you to fine tune settings with great detail and it does not "mess" with the sound

So with the CR1 it is possible to achieve better SQ, but you might need a pro (and his measuring equipment) to configure it just right for your environment.

crwilli 12-13-2019 08:27 AM

JL Audio CR-1 vs McIntosh Men220

I Chose the MEN220 for its multiple functions some which are highly customizable. It’s a Swiss Army knife. The downside is the extra Digital to analog to digital conversions.

The CR1 is all analog and better enables You to blend a JLAudio sub.

When I setup my new room in SC, I knew I didn’t need the extra functions and this cost of the MEN220. The CR1 is perfect for my needs and was less money.

The fact that it is analog was a positive as well.

IMHO -If you need or want the Room Perfect or customizable EQ capabilities of the MEN220, buy it. If you do not, buy the CR1 and put the extra money in better cables.

iefbo 12-13-2019 10:24 AM

I'm not sure I "need" room perfect. My system is in my living room in a far from ideal acoustic situation.
I'm not a fan of the additional conversion room correction requires, but I like the ease of set up.
Regarding the CR1 I'm afraid getting things right will be very hard to achieve.