AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Sonus Faber (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   The Aidas of March all over again (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=45331)

zettelsm 03-12-2019 03:37 PM

The Aidas of March all over again

4 Attachment(s)
I've been in love with Sonus Faber loudspeakers for a long time.

I fell in love with Italian design and craftsmanship many years ago when I had the good fortune to live in Italy for three years. One can't help but gain a deep appreciation of Italian art and architecture when living and working in the land that gave birth to Michelangelo and Leonardo DaVinci, where the town of Cremona is famous for that epitome of musical instruments, the Stradivarius violin, where Rossini and Verdi, Donizetti and Puccini wrote some of the most enduring music of the classical world. Where Ferrari has a justifiable claim as the pinnacle of automotive achievement.

And Sonus Faber reigns supreme as the most beautiful sounding and finished speakers in the world.

Until now I had to content myself with brief indulgences at audio shows and too short visits at dealers' showrooms. I was lucky enough to hear Sonus Faber's penultimate model, the Aida, on annual visits to Scottsdale AZ over the years. I was struck by the lightning bolt, but a new pair was always out of reach. I had to make do with virtually feasting on Ivan's beautiful eye-candy in his original Aidas of March thread.

However, yesterday a dream came true.

I found a pair of Aidas from a reliable seller based in the UK and after some back and forth, made an offer that was accepted. Serendipitous in that he had shipped a large pair of speakers to the Seattle area two years before, he was able to recommend a reliable Customs clearance agent to expedite them into the US port of entry and make sure they were trans-shipped to my home.

Yesterday after an interminable weekend in my garage, my Aidas were finally set up in my living room and I spent a ten-hour marathon luxuriating in the most beautiful music I've ever had in my home in the nearly fifty years of my love affair with music.

Here are the first set of pictures:

zettelsm 03-12-2019 03:47 PM

More pictures

4 Attachment(s)
Second set:

https://www.audioaficionado.org/atta...8&d=1552420040

zettelsm 03-12-2019 04:00 PM

Third batch of Aida pictures (the good stuff!)

6 Attachment(s)
Inside at last:

https://www.audioaficionado.org/atta...6&d=1552420773

soastrup 03-12-2019 04:10 PM

Wonderfull, what a great system and what great speakers. How large is the room?

Enjoy

DVass13 03-12-2019 04:11 PM

That is one beautiful setup. One can only hope that they sound as wonderful as they look. Congrats on the new speakers!

Higgens 03-12-2019 04:12 PM

They look great. Congratulations

SL1800 03-12-2019 04:22 PM

Congrats!!!

Still-One 03-12-2019 05:14 PM

Congratulations. A beautiful speaker. Once you have insured you have located the proper position you are going to be a happy listener.

zettelsm 03-12-2019 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soastrup (Post 957022)
Wonderfull, what a great system and what great speakers. How large is the room?

Enjoy

Thanks for the kind words.

The volume they play into is somewhat irregular shaped, I guess I'd call it a semi-open plan first floor. The nominal living room is 14' X 27' with the Aidas facing down the length of the room. You can see the bay behind the equipment rack, which adds a bit to the overall length. Ceilings are 10'. The back of the living room opens into a large kitchen and dining area.

The left side of the front half of the living room, to the outside of the left speaker is an open entry foyer 17' X 9' X 21', and out of this area are two large open halls to other parts of the ground floor. There is an open staircase to the second level from the foyer, with a balcony and an open hallway to the bedrooms upstairs. So quite a large volume.

I put a GIK Acoustics folding acoustic screen to the outside of the left speaker so that it sees a similar acoustic as the right speaker which is closer to a wall and also has an acoustic panel to the outside. In practice, there is no pulling of the center image and central sounds are firmly centered between the two speakers. The speakers are 9' apart from center to center.

Thank you for your interest.

Steve Z

zettelsm 03-12-2019 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DVass13 (Post 957023)
That is one beautiful setup. One can only hope that they sound as wonderful as they look. Congrats on the new speakers!

Thank you very much. They sound amazing, and I'm sure will only get better as I fine tune the positioning and the speaker controls a bit.

Steve Z

zettelsm 03-12-2019 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SL1800 (Post 957025)
Congrats!!!

Thank you!

Steve Z

zettelsm 03-12-2019 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Still-One (Post 957029)
Congratulations. A beautiful speaker. Once you have insured you have located the proper position you are going to be a happy listener.

Thank you very much. I'm pretty happy right now, Jim. :banana:

But I agree. Other than making sure that I have the speakers the same distance and angle from my chair, I haven't experimented much yet with dialing them in. I'm having too much fun just listening right now.

The high, low and depth controls were all at median settings. I did tweak the low control up a bit because I have hardwood floors over a crawlspace, so I'm sure I have more bass leakage out of the room than a slab or suspended concrete floor.

Jim (Metaphacts) gave me some helpful tips and when I start moving them around to get the most out of them I'm going to keep his instructions front and center.

Steve Z

Masterlu 03-12-2019 06:35 PM

Steve... Huge Congrats from another fellow Aida owner.

What an Outstanding acquisition, enjoy them in the very best of health!

Masterlu 03-12-2019 06:36 PM

Metaphacts aka Bill ;)

zettelsm 03-12-2019 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 957041)
Metaphacts aka Bill ;)

Doh! I knew that.

Just call me Jim-Bill!

Steve

zettelsm 03-12-2019 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 957040)
Steve... Huge Congrats from another fellow Aida owner.

What an Outstanding acquisition, enjoy them in the very best of health!

Thanks very much Ivan. And thanks for the time you spent on the phone with me discussing them. Very much appreciated.

You're a very bad influence! In a good sort of way.

Steve Z

zettelsm 03-12-2019 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Higgens (Post 957024)
They look great. Congratulations

Thank you, Gary. I've got to figure out how to post a full-size picture. The little ones don't nearly do the finish on these beauties justice.

Steve Z

Masterlu 03-12-2019 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zettelsm (Post 957044)
Thanks very much Ivan. And thanks for the time you spent on the phone with me discussing them. Very much appreciated.

You're a very bad influence! In a good sort of way.

Steve Z

And I’ve been called worse; by the wives of course. :laughin:

crwilli 03-12-2019 07:20 PM

Beautiful system and speakers. Congratulations!!

80B 03-12-2019 07:29 PM

Congratulations Steve - those are absolutely gorgeous in graphite! Enjoy.

SCAudiophile 03-12-2019 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 957046)
And I’ve been called worse; by the wives of course. :laughin:

Wear that as a badge of honor!

I do and will pay for it for some time LOL!

SCAudiophile 03-12-2019 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zettelsm (Post 957021)

Those are beautiful, congratulations!!!!

Next step, Ivan will be telling you how great they sound if you tri-amp them [emoji56][emoji48][emoji48]!

zettelsm 03-12-2019 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crwilli (Post 957049)
Beautiful system and speakers. Congratulations!!

Thank you. The combination of Aidas and D’Agostino Momentum is magic.

Steve Z

zettelsm 03-12-2019 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 80B (Post 957050)
Congratulations Steve - those are absolutely gorgeous in graphite! Enjoy.

Thank you. The graphite finish is a real chameleon, picking up the light and changing shades from almost gloss black through greys and even olive and brown tones. I didn’t have a choice since these were what was available, but I’m very happy with the color.

The Sonus Faber finish has to be seen to be believed — I’ve seen grand pianos whose finish wasn’t even close.

Steve Z

zettelsm 03-12-2019 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCAudiophile (Post 957055)
Those are beautiful, congratulations!!!!

Next step, Ivan will be telling you how great they sound if you tri-amp them [emoji56][emoji48][emoji48]!

Thank you. I have to keep the appearance to a certain standard if I want to keep the stereo in the living room. Absolutely no problem with the Aidas.

I’m waiting for Ivan to chip in with how I need triple Burmesters! :music:

Steve Z

Rojet2015 03-12-2019 09:17 PM

Congratulations and thanks for sharing the photos.

zettelsm 03-12-2019 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rojet2015 (Post 957067)
Congratulations and thanks for sharing the photos.

Thank you, and you are very welcome. I've spent many relaxing hours here at AA enjoying members' pictures, so it is the least I could do to share.

Steve Z

Masterlu 03-12-2019 09:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by zettelsm (Post 957066)
Thank you. I have to keep the appearance to a certain standard if I want to keep the stereo in the living room. Absolutely no problem with the Aidas.

I’m waiting for Ivan to chip in with how I need triple Burmesters! :music:

Steve Z

You can also Tri-amp each side; these would work in a pinch. ;)

https://www.audioaficionado.org/atta...1&d=1552440892

crwilli 03-12-2019 09:38 PM

Oh my...

Antonmb 03-13-2019 01:31 AM

Congratulations Steve, what wonderful speakers and a great system. I also am in love with SF designs, and think the Aida is their best looking speaker. You’re a lucky guy.

PNW members party at Steve’s!!!

metaphacts 03-13-2019 01:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zettelsm (Post 957042)
Doh! I knew that.

Just call me Jim-Bill!

Steve

Hahaha my brother Jim is a rocket scientist!

zettelsm 03-13-2019 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 957070)
You can also Tri-amp each side; these would work in a pinch. ;)

https://www.audioaficionado.org/atta...1&d=1552440892

I knew I could count on you to come through for me, Ivan.

At Definitive's Music Matters last week, Sonus Faber's Will Kline had the Aida 2s on demo driven by four large Macintosh 1.25KW mono amps. They did a pretty creditable job, considering I never saw the meters go above 12 watts!

I was thinking another Momentum S250 might be nice for vertical biamping. Not that the Aidas *need* it mind you from what I hear so far -- but another Momentum in the rack might be nice for, you know, symmetry.

Nature (and Ivan) abhor an unsymmetrical stereo rack and will rush to fill it.

Steve Z

zettelsm 03-13-2019 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antonmb (Post 957081)
Congratulations Steve, what wonderful speakers and a great system. I also am in love with SF designs, and think the Aida is their best looking speaker. You’re a lucky guy.

PNW members party at Steve’s!!!

Thank you, Tony. I agree about SF, and I am indeed a fortunate man -- great wife, great life and a pretty decent stereo.

I've got an acre to play on over here on the Olympic Peninsula. We could have a backyard barbecue when the weather starts getting nice (any day now, any day!). :beerchug:

Steve

zettelsm 03-13-2019 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by metaphacts (Post 957082)
Hahaha my brother Jim is a rocket scientist!

Sorry about mis-naming you Bill. Jim (Still-One) distracted me! (Easy enough to do and I seldom need any help).

Last night I followed your advice and pulled all the room treatments out, turned the LF and Depth controls to minimum and started playing a bit with positioning. Still very much a work in progress but I find the Aidas very responsive to small position changes. Lots of little thin post-it stickies on the floor.

Far from done experimenting but something as simple as moving my chair two inches back made a huge difference -- the soundstage opened up even more an the speakers are beginning to completely disappear on everything but hard-right/hard-left mastered jazz and early rock recordings.

And bringing the low frequency control back up to mid-point sounds just right, rather than having it slightly higher as I first thought I might need. So thank you very much for your suggestions. I've still got work to do, but I'm getting there.

The door is always open, Bill if you're in the neighborhood!

Steve Z

Masterlu 03-13-2019 11:52 AM

Steve... for me 1050 was the magic number for my Aida’s. Once I horizontally Bi-Amped them with (3) Burmester 911 MKIII Amps (350 watts per channel stereo) so 350 x 3 each side.

The Aida’s then gave me all they were capable of. :ok:

zettelsm 03-13-2019 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 957110)
Steve... for me 1050 was the magic number for my Aida’s. Once I horizontally Bi-Amped them with (3) Burmester 911 MKIII Amps (350 watts per channel stereo) so 350 x 3 each side.

The Aida’s then gave me all they were capable of. :ok:

So an S250 per side = 500 watts (into 4 ohms) x 2 = 1000

A nice round number and very close to the magic 1050!

:music:

Steve

SCAudiophile 03-14-2019 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zettelsm (Post 957106)
Thank you, Tony. I agree about SF, and I am indeed a fortunate man -- great wife, great life and a pretty decent stereo.

I've got an acre to play on over here on the Olympic Peninsula. We could have a backyard barbecue when the weather starts getting nice (any day now, any day!). :beerchug:

Steve

I'd fly in to hear/see that!!! Might be out sooner than that though [emoji16]

SCAudiophile 03-14-2019 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zettelsm (Post 957114)

Steve

I've talked with several Aida owners and of course heard them in Mecca (Ivan's house [emoji16]). The essential and common element seems to be tri-amping in general. Sure, 1000, 1050, 1500 with 3x the same amp are all good numbers but you could also tier them from bass on up from what Ive been told by 2 other owners. Matching amps' sound sigs is key...

For The Love of Music 03-14-2019 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zettelsm (Post 957114)

Steve

Good to hear your excitement!

Why would your watts double from 500 per side, making 1000 and not just be 500? Separate amp, separate power.

Mind you 500 is plenty IMO

zettelsm 03-14-2019 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCAudiophile (Post 957204)
I'd fly in to hear/see that!!! Might be out sooner than that though [emoji16]

Always welcome!

Steve Z