AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Bryston Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   Anyone using 28B for center speaker? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=49207)

hdvidguy 12-14-2020 01:31 PM

Anyone using 28B for center speaker?

I know seems like overkill!

But makes lots of sense if you are trying to keep the same sonics and using a center speaker that needs power. B&W HTM1 D3 comes to mind.

In moves, I find there is so much that comes from the center channel. If not driven correctly, even with matched amps, I find the center channel may seem lower then the mains, even though mine are matched at the sound levels.

James Tanner - Bryston 12-14-2020 02:00 PM

I find sometimes the Center can sound more recessed even though the levels are matched. You are correct though in that the Centers are typically smaller than the Left/Right speakers and usually need more power.

What I do to get things right is I listen to just the left and right speaker as a stereo setup - (no center on the surround) just a phantom center and then try and match the levels based on that by adding the center.

james

hdvidguy 12-14-2020 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Tanner - Bryston (Post 1025424)
I find sometimes the Center can sound more recessed even though the levels are matched. You are correct though in that the Centers are typically smaller than the Left/Right speakers and usually need more power.

What I do to get things right is I listen to just the left and right speaker as a stereo setup - (no center on the surround) just a phantom center and then try and match the levels based on that by adding the center.

james

Thanks James!

I should have mentioned that I will be driving main speakers with 28B's.

In my current system, I've done all the tone tests etc. with my SP3 and using a sound pressure meter to check all the volumes for all speakers with my current Bryston amps. Maybe your suggestion gets a better result, I'll need to try that.

Acolcer 12-16-2020 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hdvidguy (Post 1025421)

But makes lots of sense if you are trying to keep the same sonics and using a center speaker that needs power. B&W HTM1 D3 comes to mind.

In moves, I find there is so much that comes from the center channel. If not driven correctly, even with matched amps, I find the center channel may seem lower then the mains, even though mine are matched at the sound levels.

I am using a 9B Cubed for the center(Sonus Faber Cremona)and surrounds, while using 28B Cubed to drive the front left and right(TAD CR-1’s) and I am very happy with the results. I haven’t ever given a thought to changing out the center channel amp.

hdvidguy 12-16-2020 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acolcer (Post 1025636)
I am using a 9B Cubed for the center(Sonus Faber Cremona)and surrounds, while using 28B Cubed to drive the front left and right(TAD CR-1’s) and I am very happy with the results. I haven’t ever given a thought to changing out the center channel amp.

Using all Cubed amps makes a lot of sense! My 6B is SST, is a few versions behind the Cube amps.

audiohippo 12-16-2020 03:10 PM

I am using the 7B3 to power my Wilson Mezzo centre speaker. While the Mezzo is pretty efficient at 96db, I found the 7B3 had better control over the 9BSST2. The 9B is now used for the 4 rears and has a channel free.

28B would be awesome, but absolutely not required in my situation.

hdvidguy 12-18-2020 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audiohippo (Post 1025654)
I am using the 7B3 to power my Wilson Mezzo centre speaker. While the Mezzo is pretty efficient at 96db, I found the 7B3 had better control over the 9BSST2. The 9B is now used for the 4 rears and has a channel free.

28B would be awesome, but absolutely not required in my situation.

Interesting, actually a good idea going with a 7B Cubed.

Fabio 01-30-2021 04:27 PM

That is way too much for centre , Best is to balance all 3 on the front so you have harmony .

gbaby 01-31-2021 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hdvidguy (Post 1025421)

It is overkill unless you center is so inefficient it can only play 70db @1 meter with a 1 watt input.:no:

Masterlu 01-31-2021 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fabio (Post 1030973)
That is way too much for centre , Best is to balance all 3 on the front so you have harmony .

Uh, nope; I have my XCS2K driven by MC1.2KW x 3 / 3600 watts. The center is the hardest working channel in a home theater.

My L&R XRT2K’s are tri-amped with 4400 watts each.