AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   TAD Speakers & Electronics (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=131)
-   -   Speaker search for New Media room. (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=14735)

Thimios 06-24-2012 06:43 AM

Speaker search for New Media room.

2 Attachment(s)
Hi everybody

I am almost done with the new media room and I though of sharing some pics with you. The room dimensions are 3.95m x 7.00m x 2.40m (13 x 23 x 8 )
The listening space opens to the left to an additional 1.0m x 6.0m free stairway space. Speakers located at 1.4m from the front wall, 0.70m from the sides, and they are spaced 2.60m apart. Listening position close to 4.5m. I need to play around with positioning to improve the set up.

I am also starting the search for new speakers. My short list as of now is:
1. TAD CR-1
2. Peak Consult Zoltan V.
my Current Peak Consult Princess Sig. detailed as they my be do not seem to fill the new space.
Any suggestions for system/room compatibility especially with the TAD-CR1?

mdkim 06-24-2012 09:11 AM

Very very clean and nice looking media room :thumbsup:. Good luck with your speakers.

cmalak 06-24-2012 10:39 AM

Thimios...congrats on the new media room. For your size room I would also consider Rockport Avior, Wilson Sashas, Focal Maestro Utopia, Verity Amadis, Sonus Faber Stradivari, Tidal Contriva, along with the TADs and the Peak Consult speakers. I am not sure where you reside (if it is Greece or elsewhere) but I tried picking other speakers in the price range of the Zoltans and CR-1s that are all excellent in their own right but will give you a different flavor sonically. Have you had a chance to listen to a wide variety of speakers and do you have a sense whether you gravitate towards a certain house sound? I am guessing Peak Consult is a sound you like given the Princess and potential move to the Zoltan but was wondering if you have heard other speakers that you have gravitated to?

Masterlu 06-24-2012 11:46 AM

Beautiful big room, I look forward to seeing your final choice. :thumbsup:

cmalak 06-24-2012 11:56 AM

Also Thimios, between the harwood floors and the large glass sliding doors on one side of the room and the bare walls, there are a lot of reflective surfaces in your room so I would give some thought to room acoustics. A nice big carpet between the speakers and your listening position is probably a good idea, maybe some nice sheer curtains to cover the glass sliding doors, etc...Otherwise your room will be very lively and slap echo will abound. if you are working with a knowledgeable dealer, I am sure they can make the appropriate recommendations that will retain the clean, modern aesthetic that you have going on in the room. Very nice :thumbsup: and apoláf̱sete :D

jdebonth 06-24-2012 12:03 PM

No matter which route you end up going, do not make a decision before having given the CR1's an audition!

I run my CR1's in a room very similar to yours (4m x 10m x 3m high), they don't break a sweat filling a space this size or larger.

jdebonth 06-24-2012 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmalak (Post 328061)
there are a lot of reflective surfaces in your room so I would give some thought to room acoustics.

+1 :thumbsup:

Panels on stands at the side wall reflection points and a carpet would go a long way as Cyril mentioned. With the CR1s' concentric CST driver the need for a highly treated room is minimized. Check out the video interview with Andrew Jones where he explains it in great detail.

chessman 06-24-2012 12:37 PM

Thimios, the room is gorgeous! :thumbsup:

It will, however, definitely need some acoustic treatment. This can be done without destroying the beautiful look you have accomplished. A carpet between the speakers has already been suggested and is a great idea. "Art panel" type absorption panels will look like paintings, but help cure reflections. I think modern, abstract prints would look fabulous. You might be able to get away with a stand mounted panel along the glass wall. One thing for sure, with a room that pretty, you want to audition enough speakers to make a great choice. :)

Thimios 06-24-2012 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmalak (Post 328024)
Thimios...congrats on the new media room. For your size room I would also consider Rockport Avior, Wilson Sashas, Focal Maestro Utopia, Verity Amadis, Sonus Faber Stradivari, Tidal Contriva, along with the TADs and the Peak Consult speakers. I am not sure where you reside (if it is Greece or elsewhere) but I tried picking other speakers in the price range of the Zoltans and CR-1s that are all excellent in their own right but will give you a different flavor sonically. Have you had a chance to listen to a wide variety of speakers and do you have a sense whether you gravitate towards a certain house sound? I am guessing Peak Consult is a sound you like given the Princess and potential move to the Zoltan but was wondering if you have heard other speakers that you have gravitated to?

Cyril,
I have lived with Proac Response 5s for a number of years, Sonus Faber Guarnieri and Verity Fidelio prior to the Peak Consults. My other components have slowly evolved as well. Peak Consult with Audio technology drivers have a sound resemblance to Rockports, Sonus Faber (older models) and Verity speakers.
So far I have heard the Rockport Aquila (which have a side firing woofer that interacts with the room in non predictable ways) the different Verity models as well as the Wilson Shasa & Sophia3. The Proac Carbon Pro 8 is also a very good competitor. Regarding the TADs I have heard the Ref One which sounded fantastic in a much bigger room. I think that CR-1s will probably preserve the magic of Ref1 with less room interaction problems.

Thimios 06-24-2012 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chessman (Post 328095)
Thimios, the room is gorgeous! :thumbsup:

It will, however, definitely need some acoustic treatment. This can be done without destroying the beautiful look you have accomplished. A carpet between the speakers has already been suggested and is a great idea. "Art panel" type absorption panels will look like paintings, but help cure reflections. I think modern, abstract prints would look fabulous. You might be able to get away with a stand mounted panel along the glass wall. One thing for sure, with a room that pretty, you want to audition enough speakers to make a great choice. :)

Thanks Chessman
I have already installed roller curtains for the glass sliding door and a carpet will be ordered in due time.:thumbsup: