AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Vinyl & Accessories (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Buying records mail order (packing related thread) (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=51279)

Maks 06-17-2022 06:38 PM

Buying records mail order (packing related thread)

I think we've all had our fair share of horrible packaging stories when it comes to buying records online. Probably my most disappointing was receiving a fairly hard to find record and the guy basically just slapped it as is in a mailer. The inner sleeve was wrecked on all sides and the jacket had a seam split.

Focusing on the good experiences, and I'm in no way related to any of these places, but I love the Acoustic Sounds boxes. Even with a regular style fresh mailer, corner dings can happen and for the most part, that's just kind of how life goes. But these Acoustic Sounds boxes are top of the line IMO.

I recently bought some 7"s from the In Groove and this is by far the best packaging I've had for the format. New plastic outer sleeve, records in a new paper inner and placed outside the jacket. Then they're all custom shrink wrapped together, 7" cardboard on both sides of the records, tightly taped, then into the mailer.

Unless something is ultra rare that I've been searching for for a long time, I have a small group of online sellers that I'll use. Shipping is almost as important as the grading itself.

Antonmb 06-17-2022 08:45 PM

Agree 100% on the importance of quality packaging. I buy the occasional used record and have had mixed results, with some really shameful and some pretty good packaging. As for retailers, agree re Acoustic Sounds and would also add Elusive Disc and Music Direct to the list of good guys.

FreddieFerric 06-18-2022 09:00 AM

I bought a vinyl record from a seller with 100% feedback on eBay. It had been on my want list for some time. It arrived in a Domino's Pizza box, with bits of crust and pepperoni still evident. :icon_thumbsdown:

The vinyl was "as advertised" though so I couldn't really complain. But a pizza box? C'Mon Man! :no:

Still, that was one tasty title. :D

JoeN 06-18-2022 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FreddieFerric (Post 1062399)
I bought a vinyl record from a seller with 100% feedback on eBay. It had been on my want list for some time. It arrived in a Domino's Pizza box, with bits of crust and pepperoni still evident. :icon_thumbsdown:

The vinyl was "as advertised" though so I couldn't really complain. But a pizza box? C'Mon Man! :no:

:lmao::lmao: :lmao:

I feel for you, but that is funny.

Maks 06-18-2022 03:52 PM

That is the best bad record packing story I've ever heard. Probably my favorite personal story was from another hobby and the guy was known for shipping items (not fragile like records) in whatever random boxes he had around. I once received a package sent in a cereal box with a shipping label slapped on it.

FreddieFerric 06-18-2022 04:12 PM

The guy I bought my Tascam BR-20 from shipped it in a Charmin toilet paper box with a bunch of newpaper stuffed inside. The box was no where near sturdy enough to support a 62 lb machine and was in pretty wretched shape when it arrived. I was expecting a destroyed tape deck, but miraculously it made it and survived intact.

robfine 06-18-2022 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FreddieFerric (Post 1062399)

Did it arrive in 30 minutes?

FreddieFerric 06-18-2022 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robfine (Post 1062429)
Did it arrive in 30 minutes?

Nope. And I didn't get it free.