AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   ModWright Instruments (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   Modwright "Elyse" DAC - RMAF 2013 (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=23663)

mg87 10-25-2013 09:44 PM

Modwright "Elyse" DAC - RMAF 2013

Did any Modwright fans get a chance to listen to the new tube DAC? I had to skip the RMAF due to last minute conflicts but I did inquire about the new DAC. It looks like a first half of 2014 release for a "full service" stand-alone tube DAC. I wish I had better recollection of the specs but think it will have AES/EBU, USB, coax digital, and bnc digital inputs, no toslink and XLR and RCA output. I have a feeling it will be a true balanced output, not just a "convenience XLR" output. The design is considering a volume control (may be a configuration option or standard). I don't know what DAC chip its. Any other info "on the street" or listening impressions from the RMAF attendees? I have a KWI-200 and would like to get a LS100 (w/phono) and maybe this DAC. If it has a volume control, maybe not a LS100. Apparently there was a new phono stage as well called "Black".

Airfla 12-05-2013 03:24 AM

It heard it and it sounded very fine with MW electronics and Daedalus speakers. I was told that Dan intends to launch it with PCM playback initially, and add DSD capability later. I can't help but wonder if it might be wiser to wait and launch it with both fprmats, given the increasing popularity of DSD.

Good Times 05-28-2014 11:54 AM

Heard this dac last week, loved it. Really smooth, full-bodied, I'll be keen to see pricing when it's available.

doggiehowser 05-28-2014 12:31 PM

Do you know what chip it uses?

ps the LS100 is not a true balanced preamp. You'd need the 36.5 for that.

Good Times 05-30-2014 10:50 PM

Burr Brown PCM 1794

Skynyrd77 12-28-2014 09:38 AM

I've been wantin to hear this also. Along with the new phono stage he put out but the 7000$ price tag will keep me from getting a shot. I've heard the ls 100 and it was awesome and that was paied with the mw 100 watt amp and silloetes by van l speakerworks. Blew me away.

wildcat82 03-15-2015 11:01 PM

Elyse Dac Ordered

After several months of research and discussions with Dan Wright I decided to go for it, unit should arrive in a few weeks. Tubes I have decided on include Telegunken E88CC and Philips 5R4GYS. I will post reviews once the unit is installed with followups as it goes through the breaking process.

Brett

JJinID 03-16-2015 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wildcat82 (Post 683803)
After several months of research and discussions with Dan Wright I decided to go for it, unit should arrive in a few weeks. Tubes I have decided on include Telegunken E88CC and Philips 5R4GYS. I will post reviews once the unit is installed with followups as it goes through the breaking process.

Brett

Very cool Brett! I was able to hear the Elyse at RMAF and digital played through it sounded fantastic. I look forward to your review! :thumbsup: