AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Hometown Section (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=153)
-   -   NY Audio Club... (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=22389)

GaryProtein 09-24-2013 10:41 AM

sounds good to me too.

skroudo 09-24-2013 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GaryProtein (Post 534289)
sounds good to me too.

+1

Masterlu 10-10-2013 11:51 AM

What's happening with the New York Club? :)

sleepysurf 10-10-2013 09:38 PM

Although I'm far from NY, thought I'd throw out this suggestion for folks in ANY geographic area interested in starting/growing an audio club. I hope I'm not violating any Forum Rules by posting this.

Here, in the Tampa Bay area, we had a small audiophile club, founded in 1994 as the Tampa Bay Listening Society. By 2009, active membership had dwindled to <15, and the future looked bleak. One of our members suggested we look at Meetup (dot com), which was used by a Photography club he belonged to. It looked promising as a growing social website catering to LOCAL clubs/groups sharing a common interest. We renamed our club the Suncoast Audiophile Society (more descriptive) and gave Meetup a spin. Within 3 months we had doubled our active membership, as local audiophiles who previously never even knew we existed discovered us. Today, we have 87 members (~50+ active), and have grown so large that we're now looking for larger venues for our monthly meetings, as few of us can accommodate the typical 30-40+ meeting attendees in our homes.

FYI, I have no financial relationship with Meetup, but do believe their platform is ideal for developing and growing an audiophile club. As brick and mortar stores fall by the wayside, I think this approach (combined with regional audio shows) is our best hope for keeping this hobby alive.

There are other "group-centric" websites out there, but Meetup (being the first) seems to have the most users, and (at least for us) has worked exceedingly well for recruiting like-minded audio aficionados. Meetup does charge the club a modest monthly (or annual) fee, but that becomes negligible when amortized among all members.

I strongly suggest the New York (or other geographic contingents) check it out! Also, once you have a critical mass, post your audio club contact info in the Stereophile listings.

Sound Dragon 11-10-2013 08:42 AM

I am currently in Queens NY.

joe1515 11-10-2013 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepysurf (Post 539583)
Although I'm far from NY, thought I'd throw out this suggestion for folks in ANY geographic area interested in starting/growing an audio club. I hope I'm not violating any Forum Rules by posting this.

Here, in the Tampa Bay area, we had a small audiophile club, founded in 1994 as the Tampa Bay Listening Society. By 2009, active membership had dwindled to <15, and the future looked bleak. One of our members suggested we look at Meetup (dot com), which was used by a Photography club he belonged to. It looked promising as a growing social website catering to LOCAL clubs/groups sharing a common interest. We renamed our club the Suncoast Audiophile Society (more descriptive) and gave Meetup a spin. Within 3 months we had doubled our active membership, as local audiophiles who previously never even knew we existed discovered us. Today, we have 87 members (~50+ active), and have grown so large that we're now looking for larger venues for our monthly meetings, as few of us can accommodate the typical 30-40+ meeting attendees in our homes.

FYI, I have no financial relationship with Meetup, but do believe their platform is ideal for developing and growing an audiophile club. As brick and mortar stores fall by the wayside, I think this approach (combined with regional audio shows) is our best hope for keeping this hobby alive.

There are other "group-centric" websites out there, but Meetup (being the first) seems to have the most users, and (at least for us) has worked exceedingly well for recruiting like-minded audio aficionados. Meetup does charge the club a modest monthly (or annual) fee, but that becomes negligible when amortized among all members.

I strongly suggest the New York (or other geographic contingents) check it out! Also, once you have a critical mass, post your audio club contact info in the Stereophile listings.

Count me in as well. I live on Long Island. I second the idea of meetup.com.

Joe

Matte Grey 01-18-2014 04:32 PM

Brooklyn, NY very interested.

Linus 06-03-2014 02:08 PM

No city folk?
Brooklyn in da house!

Kal Rubinson 06-03-2014 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Linus (Post 612256)
No city folk?

Manhattan here.

GaryProtein 06-03-2014 09:52 PM

Long Island