AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   McIntosh Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   McIntosh MS 500 vs Auralic (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=51445)

all2ears 08-12-2022 11:59 PM

McIntosh MS 500 vs Auralic

The down sizing continues …… the projector is gone …… the mono amps are gone ……. Revel Salons are gone …… (sigh)

Shelf space for components is also at a premium in my “retirement” system - I currently use an Auralic Aries run into a McIntosh D1000 fed by a Synology NAS - I like the idea of a component that is self contained with the music streamer, storage and DAC all in one box - The McIntosh MS 500 hits those points

The Auralic Lightening app is flawless and I don’t expect the Mcintosh app to be as robust …… I’m wondering if anyone ca n share any experience using it

In general how is the MS 500 …..

Thanks in advance

JBT 08-13-2022 11:16 AM

The MS500 sounds really good. I had one in my system for a month back in 2020 during the pandemic. Dealer is a friend and he closed his store for several months so he let me take Demo home. Not only does it sound good but looked great in my all Mcintosh system. But today for the same price or cheaper there are several streamers that sound as good or maybe a little better with more bells and whistles. Unless you're dead set on Mcintosh I suggest looking around. I have an Aurender N10 in my all Mcintosh system and it sounds fantastic hooked up to my D1100 Dac.

The Auralic G1 and Auralic G2 both get great reviews. Also look at Lumin and Aurender.

FreddieFerric 08-13-2022 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by all2ears (Post 1064887)
The down sizing continues …… the projector is gone …… the mono amps are gone ……. Revel Salons are gone …… (sigh)...

My condolences.

all2ears 08-14-2022 07:45 PM

JBT ….. that Aurender N10 is a terrific piece - If I had room for separate components it would be on the short list

I should have mentioned the McIntosh MS 500 I am considering is used ….. very lightly used so $$$ wise it is a favorable price - I’m not much for Tidal or Roon …. I have a good NAS library with everything I enjoy listening too

Anyway thanks for the insight …… you just may have given me the nudge I needed

W9TR 08-14-2022 08:25 PM

McIntosh has a reputation of abandoning its digital devices like a bad date at the prom.

So the questions:
Who actually makes it? Is it a 3rd party device or McIntosh designed and built?

If built by a 3rd party, who is it? Will they support it when McIntosh turns their back on it?
(Unlikely it will be supported)

This sounds very negative but I’m being pragmatic based on history.

MS 300 / MS 750. Based on Escient Fireball, poor support for HW and supporting services like Gracenote all have failed, along with the poorly designed computer hardware.

MS 500 and MB 100 are based on an Autonomic Controls Product. It uses Flash, which is not secure and no longer supported.

So run, don’t walk away from any McIntosh digital product until you understand its provenance and support structure.

Don’t be fooled. Look at my sig and you’ll see I’m a big McIntosh supporter - for certain products.

JBT 08-14-2022 08:43 PM

Good point. That's something to consider.

JBT 08-14-2022 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by all2ears (Post 1064999)
JBT ….. that Aurender N10 is a terrific piece - If I had room for separate components it would be on the short list

I should have mentioned the McIntosh MS 500 I am considering is used ….. very lightly used so $$$ wise it is a favorable price - I’m not much for Tidal or Roon …. I have a good NAS library with everything I enjoy listening too

Anyway thanks for the insight …… you just may have given me the nudge I needed

Check out the Lumin U2 mini. Great price

https://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazi...mer_Review.htm

Maks 08-14-2022 09:33 PM

I have to agree w/W9TR here. If I was looking for this sort of product, Mc wouldn't even be on the list for me personally. Stick w/the companies who specialize in digital streamers.

all2ears 08-16-2022 04:50 PM

w/9 I do agree Mcintosh has a weak history supporting their tech ..... but buying an MS 500 used at the right price mitigates the risk -I have my turntable for listening and the media server is more for back ground when company is over or we're enjoying a glass on the patio

All that said I hesitated and the darn thing sold so it's a mute point - I ordered a Hifi Rose 150b and catch this .... it has an option of simulated blue uv meters - I get a 5 day demo and if all goes well the D100Dac and Ayuralic go up for sale

Thanks to all - Will keep everyone posted

JBT 08-16-2022 06:48 PM

Looks like you got a good one!

https://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2022/...w-modern-hifi/