AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   VPI Industries (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   HW-40 thoughts so far (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=49377)

Maks 01-12-2021 10:15 PM

HW-40 thoughts so far

Well this has been a long time coming, last year I was simply too swamped with work, but I've finally had some time to tweak the setup a bit and do some more listening. This is just stream of consciousness about my real experience, there won't be any hyperbole like, "with this table I was able to sense a grasshopper outside the recording studio."

My first impression was that this thing is a beast, my other VPI TT is a Classic 2 in a Classic 3 piano black plinth and that arrived in 2 boxes: one for the platter and one for the table. Two huge HW-40 boxes arrived of about equal size, one is the cover (which will go into storage, unused) and the other box is everything else. Weighing at about 100 pounds. Everything is well packed with custom foam so the table will arrive exactly as it left the factory. Platter on the bottom, table above that and the rest on the top layer.

When it comes to setup, you may as well just toss the manual in the trash. It does come in an LP style sleeve, which is cool. Obviously this isn't a beginner's TT, but it seems some of the instructions aren't even written for the HW-40 such as unscrewing two black screws at the base of the tonearm to adjust height...the HW-40 has an adjustable VTA tower and no such black screws. Negatives aside, this was SO much easier to setup than my Classic 2. At first I was confused because the jig wouldn't fit (the manual refers to the male bearing which isn't referenced anywhere in diagrams), but it turns out I had to lower the VTA tower quite a lot to get the jig to fit properly. Adjusting the counterweight for proper VTF is infinitely easier than the Classics and the azimuth adjustment (not mentioned in the manual) appears likewise. I could probably do a bit more tweaking on a weekend in good sunlight, but I'd say I'm 95% of where I need to be. I might even order one of those highly regarded mint protractors at some point.

My Classic 2 is using the standard JMW tonearm, an Ortofon 2M Black and Gold Lions in the MM section on my C2300. The HW-40 is obviously a completely different tonearm, a Soundsmith Paua mk 2 and right now whatever tubes the C2300 came with in the MC section. I need to do more listening before I can write much about the sound, but the 2 most immediate things I noticed was the bass and how dead quiet this table is. It's not that the Classic 2's bass is muddy by any means, this just sounds so much more crisp and defined. The 2M Black's stylus is long in the tooth, so I won't be able to do any direct comparisons between the 2 tables.

As for other thoughts on the table that don't affect sound at all, this is truly a beautiful turntable and I like that they stuck to the more classic look. To each their own and I know plenty of people like the newer styles, but to me the HW-40 looks how I feel a turntable should look, especially with the wood sides. The ease of use with the direct drive is unbeatable, not that the Classic 2 is a hassle to move the belt around, but simply pressing a button and the table being up to speed so quickly is a huge convenience. Of course with speed regulation there's no need to worry about the belt stretching and affecting speed or moving it to a different groove in the pulley. And also not having to slow the platter by hand before flipping or removing a record is quite nice as well. As mentioned, the cover will be going in to storage as I have no intention of using it so I don't have much to say about that. I won't be using the VPI weight, but I may give the periphery ring a go with a couple records, though I'm in no hurry to try that.

I have to admit that I spent considerable time thinking about this turntable, especially with Mat talking about newer DD turntables and DD motors being retrofit into existing tables at some point in the near future. Will there be a day when I can send my Classic 2 in for a DD upgrade? What if they release a non 40th table without a cover, interchangeable arms and a piano black plinth that is cheaper? In the end I decided to pull the trigger on the HW-40, it's a special turntable and I have zero regrets about my purchase.

joey_v 01-12-2021 10:38 PM

Good review!
Aside from bass and blackness, anything else?

Antonmb 01-13-2021 02:00 AM

Congratulations, thanks for the great write up.

Maks 01-13-2021 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joey_v (Post 1029138)
Good review!
Aside from bass and blackness, anything else?

Thanks, I'll have to do additional listening. At this point I won't say that there's a night and day difference between the Classic 2 and the HW-40, but I think most of us know once you start getting into this league we are talking incremental improvements. I believe the Classic 2 listed at 4k when it was last sold, I certainly wasn't expecting 4x better sound. If I can find a great deal on a 2M Black stylus I'd be happy to do a comparison between the two tables, I even have a 3D arm I can install on the Classic for a more evenly matched comparison.

Also, keep in mind the Soundsmith cart is a factor here as well, I think there are just too many variables in play to definitively say which differences the table/arm combo made vs the Paua mk2 compared to the 2M Black. I don't know what the "standard" HW-40 table will retail for when it comes out, but even if it is $5k less similarly equipped with a 12" fatboy (which is most likely a huge stretch) I still won't have an ounce of regret on this purchase.

This falls into the "doesn't affect the sound" category, but I put some more time on the table last night after my post and the looks, the push button startup and even the arm rest compared to the Classic are just so luxurious. It's kind of like flying first class...you're getting to the same destination as everyone else, just in more comfort.

cleeds 01-13-2021 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maks (Post 1029137)
... Two huge HW-40 boxes arrived of about equal size, one is the cover (which will go into storage, unused) ...

Do you plan to use a different cover, or do you not use a dust cover at all?

Maks 01-13-2021 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cleeds (Post 1029165)
Do you plan to use a different cover, or do you not use a dust cover at all?

I've been a no dust cover guy for awhile now, it hasn't been an issue with my Classic. I never leave a record on the platter and a quick dusting from time to time keeps everything tidy.

cleeds 01-13-2021 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maks (Post 1029172)
I've been a no dust cover guy for awhile now, it hasn't been an issue with my Classic. I never leave a record on the platter and a quick dusting from time to time keeps everything tidy.

I am so jealous!
I use a dustcover whenever my turntable is not in use - yet dust still gets on the turntable anyway! I have no idea how it gets in there. It's just a cosmic mystery.

Formerly YB-2 01-13-2021 12:59 PM

Nice write-up on a terrific TT/TA.

As for dust, the better looking your gear the more it collects it. Simply an audiophile rule that we all live with. ;)

miner 01-14-2021 12:18 PM

That would be an end-all table for me but for now my Aries 3 with Fatboy will keep me very satisfied until that day arrives. Great review and congrats on the table.

Maks 01-14-2021 01:27 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I really do enjoy this table, I spent more time listening last night and I'm still amazed at how quiet it is. The table with the 12" fatboy and the Soundsmith Paua are an excellent combination.

Masterlu 01-14-2021 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maks (Post 1029264)
Thanks for the feedback. I really do enjoy this table, I spent more time listening last night and I'm still amazed at how quiet it is. The table with the 12" fatboy and the Soundsmith Paua are an excellent combination.

Cool Beans! :)

Maks 03-11-2021 06:36 PM

I'm not planning on selling my Classic 2, but I have to say I might be a direct drive convert. I like the push button for 33/45 and very quick time to get up to speed. It's taken me a bit to not put my hand on the platter to stop it before changing sides. Like I said in my first post there are many variables here in comparison to the Classic 2, but I am extremely pleased with this upgrade.

Formerly YB-2 03-12-2021 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maks (Post 1029137)
I won't be using the VPI weight, but I may give the periphery ring a go with a couple records, though I'm in no hurry to try that.

Am wondering what record weight you might be using? The reason I ask is I've used VPI's and several others, but was pleasantly surprised with the obvious improvement with the Stillpoints weight. When I loaned to a friend to try, it worked so well that he kept it and I had to purchase another (I did owe him :D).

Maks 03-12-2021 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 (Post 1034674)
Am wondering what record weight you might be using? The reason I ask is I've used VPI's and several others, but was pleasantly surprised with the obvious improvement with the Stillpoints weight. When I loaned to a friend to try, it worked so well that he kept it and I had to purchase another (I did owe him :D).

I use the Stillpoints LPI v1 that I grabbed from Ivan a couple years back. I don't always use it, more so when I'm sitting down for a listening session vs just background music while I work. At first I was worried about the additional weight, but it weighs roughly the same as VPI's included weight.

Formerly YB-2 03-13-2021 06:33 AM

:thumbsup: Have found the LPI to be a tweak that punches well above its weight ($$). My friend is very much an audio skeptic, but he listened to 3 LPs in a row and announced he was keeping the LPI V2. Luckily, Ivan had a V2 in stock as a replacement. Haven't compared them head-to-head, but the V2 seems to be a bit different to my audio brain memory of the V1.

Great to read your success with the HW-40. Do wish VPI would 'flesh-out' their DD TT line (non-anniversary models, retrofits, etc.) as I'm jonesing for an upgrade. I'll give them the rest of this year before going elsewhere.

Maks 03-13-2021 09:51 AM

I had a long listening session last night w/the HW-40, I really do love this TT. I think it's a combination of the DD, the fatboy and the Soundsmith cart. I miss the looks of my Classic 2 in the piano black plinth as it matches well w/my McIntosh gear, but the HW-40 is beautiful as well. In an ideal world they would've stuck with the same look at the Classic Direct, but that's just IMO.

It'll be interesting to see how any upcoming DD tables are priced. If anyone is on the fence about grabbing one of these, I'd say go for it. You will be cured of upgradeitis.

phoenixengr 11-09-2021 03:10 PM

Maks-

Congratulations on your new table. I had a chance audition one of the HW40s last year and I had an observation regarding the fit between the platter and subplatter. When I went to assemble former onto the latter, I expected it to take some finesse because I assumed it would be a tight fit; to my surprise, the platter slide onto the sub without any binding or sticking. Thinking it was a fluke, I removed it and tried again; it slid right on without issue leading me to believe it was not a tight fit. Pushing the platter to one side easily verified this as it clearly slid in one direction before contacting the subplatter. I measured ~6-7 mils of eccentricity when the platter was pushed to one side in this way. Have you noticed this on your table?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_ijGj7EcRY

Also, have you had to re-lube the main bearing on the platter? I found that the table had to be completely disassembled to gain access to the bearing, including dealing with a rather fragile ribbon cable that connects the feedback mechanism from the electronics.

Maks 11-11-2021 03:20 AM

I don't recall it being much different than fitting the platter on my Classic 2. I have not had to re-lube anything. I've given up on audiophile nervosa, I set the cart up with a protractor and my ears and that was that. I'm not going to get a test record and break out my oscilloscope spending hours worrying about things. The table sounds much better to me than my Classic 2 and I'm happy w/it.

phoenixengr 11-11-2021 09:41 AM

I'm glad you are happy with the table. Most of the reviews I've read have been positive.

I don't believe the Classic 2 had a subplatter, the platter rode on the main bearing assembly. You may want to check with VPI wrt lubing the HW40 bearing. The HW40 subplatter rests on a main bearing nearly identical to the Classic 2 and VPI recommends relubing their bearings annually to prevent premature wear.

I found the sound quality of the HW40 compared favorably to my current table using similar carts (Benz Micro Glider II & Sumiko Blackbird, both HOMC), except for the bass on the HW40 which I found to be quite a bit boomy, bottom heavy and poorly controlled. I noticed the tonearm bearings on the HW40 "chattered" meaning they were probably loose which may have accounted for the accentuated bass response.

Fbgbill 04-06-2022 09:05 AM

FWIW I just ordered the HW-40 through Ivan with Ortofon Cadenza Black installed. Was told it was the last one that VPI had in stock. There are some dealers that have them in stock.

Maks 04-06-2022 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fbgbill (Post 1058601)
FWIW I just ordered the HW-40 through Ivan with Ortofon Cadenza Black installed. Was told it was the last one that VPI had in stock. There are some dealers that have them in stock.

I'm still enjoying mine without even a thought of ever upgrading, I imagine you'll feel the same. :thumbsup: