AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Remote Control (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Logitech Harmony Elite Review (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=44766)

jdandy 01-01-2019 08:59 PM

Logitech Harmony Elite Review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNABxzBfQiM

tima 02-15-2019 04:59 AM

The reviewer does not talk about the tight Alexa integration with the Elite. I won't let Alexa anywhere near my house and I hate talking to machines. Luddite? Perhaps.

I'll stick with the Harmony Ultimate Home that I've used for five years now. Works great letting me keep all the boxes in another room.

Poppyhome 02-15-2019 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tima (Post 953419)
The reviewer does not talk about the tight Alexa integration with the Elite. I won't let Alexa anywhere near my house and I hate talking to machines. Luddite? Perhaps.

I'll stick with the Harmony Ultimate Home that I've used for five years now. Works great letting me keep all the boxes in another room.

"Alexa is compatible with Logitech Harmony Elite, Companion (formally Home Control), Smart Control, Ultimate, Ultimate Home, and Harmony Hub."

Alexa is only an option if you have an Echo device, so no need to be scared of the machine taking your job. :eek:

The Harmony Elite is a great product that works well. :thumbsup:

Ron

nicoff 02-15-2019 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poppyhome (Post 953450)
"Alexa is compatible with Logitech Harmony Elite, Companion (formally Home Control), Smart Control, Ultimate, Ultimate Home, and Harmony Hub."

Alexa is only an option if you have an Echo device, so no need to be scared of the machine taking your job. :eek:

Agree about the Alexa being an available option. The user must manually activate that option for it to work.

tima 02-16-2019 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poppyhome (Post 953450)

The Harmony Elite is a great product that works well. :thumbsup:

Ro

Hey, knock yourself out. I'll pass.

Poppyhome 02-16-2019 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tima (Post 953542)
Hey, knock yourself out. I'll pass.

Alexa — My Music, volume up. :music:

Ron

JoeN 10-14-2019 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 947304)

Thanks for posting this. I was considering getting one and this kind of sealed the deal. Thanks again.

W9TR 10-14-2019 08:03 AM

I’ve had a Harmony Elite system for about three years. I would say it is just OK. The integration with my Lutron Caseta lighting controls is slow and stupid. After multiple trouble tickets and a plea to the president of the company, they just can’t seem to fix it.

Also I need alternate IR codes for my McIntosh C1100 and they can’t seem to bother with that either. That one I could fix myself with IR code capture, but that’s a lot of fiddly work.

I’ll give it a ‘C’, which could be an ‘A’ if they could fix the nagging issues I’ve got.

clpetersen 10-14-2019 11:20 AM

Elite

Quote:

Originally Posted by W9TR (Post 982468)
I’ve had a Harmony Elite system for about three years. I would say it is just OK. .....

....I’ll give it a ‘C’, which could be an ‘A’ if they could fix the nagging issues I’ve got.

Similar to above, a B- for other reasons. I use our OPPO 205 as the hub in our simple media room for the OPPOs exceptional audio and video processing. But only one HDMI input. So, for now, a simple 'dumb' 4K HDMI switch in front.

So, enter the Elite. With proper sequencing and delays (a bit of trial and error...), you can get all this work w/o dark or blue screens (an EDID/HDCP handshake issue - the cost of a dumb switch).

But getting the Elite to sequence everything and add delays was just painful.

So, for simple set-ups it is a very nice remote, the layout is great, the backlit buttons are nice, but the ability to customize is somewhat frustrating.

Poppyhome 10-14-2019 11:36 AM

Maybe you guys are being overly critical. :scratch2:

Its easy to use, can do mostly anything with trial and error and the interface and updates works well.............nothing better at this price point for a DIY system. :yes:

Alexa integration works well for me most of the time.

My only complaint is wanting more than 2 IR mini-blasters.

I give it an A-

Ron

Poppyhome 10-14-2019 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by W9TR (Post 982468)
.................The integration with my Lutron Caseta lighting controls is slow and stupid................

Alexa works well with Caseta. :D

Ron

W9TR 10-14-2019 08:03 PM

Ron. I agree for the price it’s hard to beat. I still have it after three years.

But, there were times when I wanted to stomp it to death. That still could happen.

But why on earth they can’t seem to interface with the most popular lighting system around is beyond me.

Alexa has been banned from our house due to privacy concerns, so not an option for us.

Poppyhome 10-14-2019 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by W9TR (Post 982572)
Ron. I agree for the price it’s hard to beat. I still have it after three years.

But, there were times when I wanted to stomp it to death. That still could happen.

But why on earth they can’t seem to interface with the most popular lighting system around is beyond me.

Alexa has been banned from our house due to privacy concerns, so not an option for us.

Alexa — Hallway lights off. :D

Ron

nicoff 10-16-2019 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poppyhome (Post 982483)
Maybe you guys are being overly critical. :scratch2:

Its easy to use, can do mostly anything with trial and error and the interface and updates works well.............nothing better at this price point for a DIY system. :yes:

Alexa integration works well for me most of the time.

My only complaint is wanting more than 2 IR mini-blasters.

I give it an A-

Ron

I totally agree. It works ok. Plus, it has helped in getting my wife to use the system. Pressing one button for listen audio, or watch TV, or play DVD/Blu-Ray does the trick. It make take a little bit of effort to get it right in the beginning, but after that it (generally) works.

JoeN 11-28-2019 12:06 PM

I agree, it's only "ok." We just began using one just yesterday. It takes the place of 3 of our remotes - Sony TV, Martin Logan Soundbar, and Apple TV. As already mentioned this makes it wife friendly. It's also iPhone friendly too ...

Initial setup yesterday was rather challenging. However, today all seems to be working fine - except its interaction with Alexa.

Projectman 11-28-2019 05:33 PM

Logitech has been looking for a buyer for Harmony for several years. I believe the CEO has said it isn’t a business they want to be in anymore. This means upgrades and support will probably start to fall away. I’m still happy with my Harmony elite.

all2ears 03-26-2020 12:37 AM

Harmony 950

No luck with Harmony Remotes

Poppyhome 03-26-2020 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by all2ears (Post 999784)
No luck with Harmony Remotes

The primary difference between Harmony 950 and the Elite is that the 950 does not come with the Harmony Hub and the Elite does. The Hub is what makes it possible to use either Bluetooth, Wi-fi, or IR blasters to control particular components as well as to integrate smart home devices with your home theater setup.

The Harmony Elite using the IR blasters near components works well for me most of the time, has no major issues, and it does what its made to do.

Alexa turn on Roon...................volume up. :music:

andreantunes 10-17-2020 01:30 PM

Logitech Harmony Elite Review

I have had several Harmony remotes. ( 4 I believe) For the last year and a half I've been using Logitech Harmony Elite and it works really well with all my devices. It's highly customizable. It just doesn't work with my remote AC plugs for lightning but that's fine.

What I can say is that it's the best remote I had so far. In possibilities, ease of use and built quality.

No Alexa or any other listener around here. I'm the one listening...

Razor* 03-09-2022 11:52 AM

We have had an Elite for a few months now since the Harmony 1000 died. It's not perfect but arguably the best remote out now. I think my wife liked the little picture icons on the old 1000 but have convinced her it's old tech now, lol. Basically it's used to turn on the TV and sound system, turn lights on and off, and turning on the Xbox when she wants to watch Netflix. ;)

Poppyhome 03-09-2022 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Razor* (Post 1056823)
I think my wife liked the little picture icons on the old 1000 but have convinced her it's old tech now, lol.

If you like, you can customize the little icons and upload your own on the Elite. :thumbsup:
https://support.myharmony.com/en-us/...activity-icons

Ron

Razor* 03-11-2022 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poppyhome (Post 1056830)
If you like, you can customize the little icons and upload your own on the Elite. :thumbsup:
https://support.myharmony.com/en-us/...activity-icons

Ron

Ron, it says it won't work with Hub based remotes. Ah well, gave it a shot. ;)

FreddieFerric 09-07-2022 04:01 PM

Now that Logitech has DQ'd Harmony, what's the new universal remote of choice that's still available?

Masterlu 09-07-2022 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freddieferric (Post 1066107)
now that logitech has dq'd harmony, what's the new universal remote of choice that's still available?

urc mx-990

FreddieFerric 09-07-2022 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 1066108)
urc mx-990

The Maestro strikes again! :yes:

Masterlu 09-07-2022 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FreddieFerric (Post 1066110)
The Maestro strikes again! :yes:

Mate it with the URC MRF-350 for complete RF capability.

PS: you will need to buy it from a dealer to get the programming software.

Disclosure: I am a URC dealer. ;)

dkorbal 09-07-2022 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 1066112)

I’ll be keeping that gem in my back pocket so when the time comes … :yes:

clpetersen 09-07-2022 08:38 PM

Did just that with Legend/Ivan earlier this year (URC replacing Harmony). Highly recommend. Different league altogether.

Poppyhome 09-07-2022 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 1066112)
Mate it with the URC MRF-350 for complete RF capability.

PS: you will need to buy it from a dealer to get the programming software.

Is the user able to program the remote or must it be programmed by the dealer?

Ron

Masterlu 09-07-2022 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poppyhome (Post 1066116)
Is the user able to program the remote or must it be programmed by the dealer?

Ron

Ron… you can program it yourself; the Program Suite is very intuitive, and has lots of help files. :thumbsup:

Masterlu 09-07-2022 09:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
https://www.audioaficionado.org/atta...1&d=1662600151

Poppyhome 09-07-2022 09:59 PM

Looks like a great replacement for the Harmony Elite. :thumbsup:

Ron

dkorbal 09-08-2022 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poppyhome (Post 1066120)
Looks like a great replacement for the Harmony Elite. :thumbsup:

Ron

+1 :thumbsup:

Ivan. Does it have the ability to interface with Roon? Basic functions at least.

cleeds 09-08-2022 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 1066117)
Ron… you can program it yourself; the Program Suite is very intuitive, and has lots of help files. :thumbsup:

Whoa - I did not know that! I thought the programming software was for dealers only.

Is the software included with the product, or sold separately?

Poppyhome 09-08-2022 09:28 AM

From their website https://www.urc-automation.com/urc-l...total-control/

PRESS RELEASE
February 14, 2017

URC LAUNCHES AMAZON ALEXA SMART HOME SKILL

So it appears compatible with Alexa for voice activation — but...
"Alexa integration must be completed by a certified URC Total Control systems integrator. Knowledge of Accelerator Programming is required." :scratch2:

Ron

Masterlu 09-08-2022 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cleeds (Post 1066132)
Whoa - I did not know that! I thought the programming software was for dealers only.

Is the software included with the product, or sold separately?

Sold separately w/ the sale of a remote and base station. PM me for pricing on the remote combo of your choice.

Masterlu 09-08-2022 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkorbal (Post 1066129)
+1 :thumbsup:

Ivan. Does it have the ability to interface with Roon? Basic functions at least.

Doug... it has a constantly updated library of codes, plus it can learn a code from an existing remote, should you not be able to find one.