AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Member System Forum (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=138)
-   -   Charles System (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=45138)

Charles 02-15-2019 12:23 PM

Charles System

10 Attachment(s)
Sources: McIntosh MCD1100 SACD player, MVP881 BR player, MVP851 DVD player, MR87 tuner, Marantz 510LV Laser Disc player, ASUS laptop USB (JRiver Media Center 23)
Speakers: Wilson Audio Specialties Alexx
Sub-woofer: Wilson Audio Specialties Thor’s Hammer (1) horizontal lie and Wilson Watch Controller (abbr: WC)
Cables main system: Audioquest Wel Signature speaker cables and balanced IC (preamp to amps); Wel Signature AES/EBU balanced digital IC for CD playback; Audioquest Diamond optical (1) for tuner, (1) for BR player, and (1) for LD player for total of (3); Coffee USB cable; McIntosh MCT cable for SACD playback; Dragon power cords (5 HC cords and 3 source cords for total of 8); Thunder HC power cord for tuner; cables for DVD player not listed
Cables subwoofer system: Audioquest Redwood speaker cable (1); Wolf balanced subwoofer IC from WC to amp; Wind balanced IC from preamp to WC; Hurricane HC (2) and Dragon HC (1) power cords
Power conditioners: Audioquest Niagara 7000 (1) and Niagara 5000 (3); (4) dedicated 20-amp lines with no. 10 wire straight out of fuse box
Cabinet: Double Custom Woodwork & Design (CWD) solid walnut cabinet on large casters; holds all sources and preamp; also, Niagara 7000; 11 feet minimum distance from speakers
Acoustic Treatments: Room and Echo Tunes enough to turn the room into a virtual anechoic chamber if desired; however, at present my room is significantly reflective giving me a bright, vibrant, dynamic, highly resolving, smooth sound free of harshness and grain and perfect for my taste; zero slap echo; gorgeous midrange
AC: Dedicated to this room only, an ultra-high efficiency and quiet Trane split system 2.5-ton heat pump with 4 returns; active electrostatic filter and top-grade digital thermostat
Room (mancave): 40’L x 15.5’W A-frame; max ceiling height 8’ min 5’; wall within wall construction built of 2 x 6’s; built over garage with custom hardwood floor with gym seal with over 40 Lowes stiffened wooden I-beams supporting floor; complete isolation from rest of house

Charles 02-15-2019 12:25 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Sources: McIntosh MCD1100 SACD player, MVP881 BR player, MVP851 DVD player, MR87 tuner, Marantz 510LV Laser Disc player, ASUS laptop USB (JRiver Media Center 23)
Speakers: Wilson Audio Specialties Alexx
Sub-woofer: Wilson Audio Specialties Thor’s Hammer (1) horizontal lie and Wilson Watch Controller (abbr: WC)
Cables main system: Audioquest Wel Signature speaker cables and balanced IC (preamp to amps); Wel Signature AES/EBU balanced digital IC for CD playback; Audioquest Diamond optical (1) for tuner, (1) for BR player, and (1) for LD player for total of (3); Coffee USB cable; McIntosh MCT cable for SACD playback; Dragon power cords (5 HC cords and 3 source cords for total of 8); Thunder HC power cord for tuner; cables for DVD player not listed
Cables subwoofer system: Audioquest Redwood speaker cable (1); Wolf balanced subwoofer IC from WC to amp; Wind balanced IC from preamp to WC; Hurricane HC (2) and Dragon HC (1) power cords
Power conditioners: Audioquest Niagara 7000 (1) and Niagara 5000 (3); (4) dedicated 20-amp lines with no. 10 wire straight out of fuse box
Cabinet: Double Custom Woodwork & Design (CWD) solid walnut cabinet on large casters; holds all sources and preamp; also, Niagara 7000; 11 feet minimum distance from speakers
Acoustic Treatments: Room and Echo Tunes enough to turn the room into a virtual anechoic chamber if desired; however, at present my room is significantly reflective giving me a bright, vibrant, dynamic, highly resolving, smooth sound free of harshness and grain and perfect for my taste; zero slap echo; gorgeous midrange
AC: Dedicated to this room only, an ultra-high efficiency and quiet Trane split system 2.5-ton heat pump with 4 returns; active electrostatic filter and top-grade digital thermostat
Room (mancave): 40’L x 15.5’W A-frame; max ceiling height 8’ min 5’; wall within wall construction built of 2 x 6’s; built over garage with custom hardwood floor with gym seal with over 40 Lowes stiffened wooden I-beams supporting floor; complete isolation from rest of house

djwhog 02-15-2019 12:44 PM

Awesome system Charles, congrats, power for days man! Me likes :)

Charles 02-15-2019 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djwhog (Post 953462)
Awesome system Charles, congrats, power for days man! Me likes :)

djwhog, thank you much! I added the final AQ Niagara 5000 and Dragon HC power cord a week ago finally completing my subwoofer system upgrade. New cables and power conditioner has made awesome improvement in my bass. See you have mancave too. There are great advantages to "caves". They allow you to spread your system out without too much concern for looks although I am very pleased with my aesthetics. Is your system displayed somewhere. I'd love to see it. I have to say your system, power, and room are awesome. I'm still trying to wrap my head around it.

Antonmb 02-15-2019 02:12 PM

An exceptional system and room, congratulations Charles.

John Jordan 02-15-2019 10:33 PM

Charles-

A beautifully thought out and painstakingly tuned system from room framing to final cabling.
Enjoy those sounds!

j3brow 02-16-2019 01:41 AM

Charles System

A very well planned system and room. Can only imagine that this is sonic nirvana! Enjoy.

Charles 02-16-2019 01:59 PM

Thanks to all. Please know that I try to envision each of your systems. I think about your systems. I have learned so much valuable information this way. And yes I am very pleased with my sound but I am sure no more so than any of you are with yours. Your thought, effort, and sound of your systems makes mine much more enjoyable. We all have "friendly/positive jealousy" that spurs each of us on to improve our systems to reach new heights of sonic grandeur and envision/imagine what each of us has attained.

EfeTe 02-16-2019 07:13 PM

Outstanding Charles, very impressive indeed. Congrats!

joey_v 02-16-2019 07:43 PM

Fantastic Charles!

Signed,
Your WEL brother

Apexorca 02-17-2019 08:01 AM

Wow! Great system Charles!
Alexx is one of my favorite speakers. Never heard it with McIntosch, but it is probably a very good match.
I can see that you have some absorption.
Have you tried any diffusion?

How is it around the sweet spot? My experience is that diffusion in the midrange and treble is good in the ceiling and behind you. It makes the scene bigger, more holographic, widened and the presentation is lively and controlled without getting dry.

Though, it's almost never possible to guess how a system sounds together with the room acoustics when you see it in pictures. My guess is that it's very good and with diffusion in the ceiling slightly in front of and above the sweet spot and behind the sweet spot it would work very well.

Your system is very capable over all and even more than most systems in the lower frequencies.
Have you any need for basabsorption?

I recently had a pro-acoustic guy at Sound of Science at home to measure up my system and my room acoustic. That was very interesting.

You can read about it in my thread https://www.audioaficionado.org/show...=28971&page=38

I strongly recommend to do this in any great systems. I certainly helps to get the system to exceed any expectations.

Charles 02-19-2019 02:37 PM

Thanks to all so very much for the positive comments.

Apexorca, thank you for thinking about my system. What a great system you have. You are correct that I do have significant absorption in my room but not as much as I used to. The Alexx has a smoother treble and midrange than my previous speakers and has allowed me to make the room more diffuser, i.e. reflective which makes for a livelier sound. I am going to take your advice. There should be some firm around where I live. I suspect my room should be re-done for acoustics. At present I hear no problems either with bass boom at a particular frequency or with treble/midrange. Imaging and sound stage are very good and stable. Almost no grain or harshness. However, this doesn't mean there can't be room for very significant improvement. I'm going to have my room analyzed as you suggest. It is a good room because of its length of 40'. I have echo tunes on the rear ceiling and walls which are a long way away from my sweet spot. I have the Alexx optimized to interface with the Thor. If I wanted more bass from them they would be closer to the rear wall. At present I have a boost probably of 4-5 db at 40 Hz and 5-6 db at 25 Hz. Pretty flat down to well below 20 other than that. I don't find the bass boomy or objectionable and wouldn't want to reduce it. One of the main things the new subwoofer cables and power conditioner/cord did (also new power amp) was to increase the sensitivity/resolution of very soft bass notes all across the whole bass range. How are your Krells working out for you? Have you thought about Master Reference amps? They are among the finest ever produced.

SCAudiophile 02-19-2019 02:49 PM

Great system and room,...very well thought out!

Apexorca 02-24-2019 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles (Post 953917)
Thanks to all so very much for the positive comments.

Apexorca, thank you for thinking about my system. What a great system you have. You are correct that I do have significant absorption in my room but not as much as I used to. The Alexx has a smoother treble and midrange than my previous speakers and has allowed me to make the room more diffuser, i.e. reflective which makes for a livelier sound. I am going to take your advice. There should be some firm around where I live. I suspect my room should be re-done for acoustics. At present I hear no problems either with bass boom at a particular frequency or with treble/midrange. Imaging and sound stage are very good and stable. Almost no grain or harshness. However, this doesn't mean there can't be room for very significant improvement. I'm going to have my room analyzed as you suggest. It is a good room because of its length of 40'. I have echo tunes on the rear ceiling and walls which are a long way away from my sweet spot. I have the Alexx optimized to interface with the Thor. If I wanted more bass from them they would be closer to the rear wall. At present I have a boost probably of 4-5 db at 40 Hz and 5-6 db at 25 Hz. Pretty flat down to well below 20 other than that. I don't find the bass boomy or objectionable and wouldn't want to reduce it. One of the main things the new subwoofer cables and power conditioner/cord did (also new power amp) was to increase the sensitivity/resolution of very soft bass notes all across the whole bass range. How are your Krells working out for you? Have you thought about Master Reference amps? They are among the finest ever produced.

I don't imagine anything else but your system is great. And probably the system have nothing in particular to replace for better sound. During these circumstances the acoustic and AC-power, ground etc almost always is the limitation. Often it's affordable to deal with this things compared to other investments in the system and very very fruitful. Thes things helps the other parts in the system to perform at their best.
It's not easy to realize that before you tried some different things. This is part of my own experience and I think its worth trying. (Friendly advice).

For sure Krell Master Reference are good, but you know, my Krell 350 Mc modified are to drive my Sf Guarneri Memento at work, so it's already kind of crazy system to have in a dental klinik.

My Krell are doing very well I think. The are still breaking in and it's about 120h right now.
I made a test a week ago and compared against my Gryphon. Gryphon is more liquid, smooth, more texture and more air in the presentation. Gryphon also has some more texture and power in the low frequencies. I feels like the bas is bigger and fills the room better. But this is something that has been a bit evened out during the break in period.
Krell loves when I play at about 100db. Gryphon starts to get problems when I play very loud and above 100-105db due to just 150 Watt class A. That is seldom though.

When Krell 350 MC are broken in they are up to a final test against Gryphon and then the will be moved to my dental clinic.

NZ421291 02-24-2019 04:58 PM

Do the street lights dim when you switch this system on?

Looks awesome!

Charles 02-27-2019 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NZ421291 (Post 954807)
Do the street lights dim when you switch this system on?

Looks awesome!

NZ2421291, Thank you so much for the compliment. It's true that I have always paid special attention to power, not so much cords and conditioners but the power powering the house. We have need for 100% reliable power around our house and we have quite a large house so we have quite a large generator (60kw). I do a lot of listening during the wee hours because my room has total isolation from rest of house and it's very quiet. Today we had an unexpected power outage (of itself very rare) but the generator immediately kicked in and saved us. This attention to the fuse box and house power has truly made a difference to my sound. Nevertheless, power cords and conditioners make a very significant contribution but you must begin if possible at the light pole, IMO.

Charles 02-27-2019 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apexorca (Post 954779)
I don't imagine anything else but your system is great. And probably the system have nothing in particular to replace for better sound. During these circumstances the acoustic and AC-power, ground etc almost always is the limitation. Often it's affordable to deal with this things compared to other investments in the system and very very fruitful. Thes things helps the other parts in the system to perform at their best.
It's not easy to realize that before you tried some different things. This is part of my own experience and I think its worth trying. (Friendly advice).

For sure Krell Master Reference are good, but you know, my Krell 350 Mc modified are to drive my Sf Guarneri Memento at work, so it's already kind of crazy system to have in a dental klinik.

My Krell are doing very well I think. The are still breaking in and it's about 120h right now.
I made a test a week ago and compared against my Gryphon. Gryphon is more liquid, smooth, more texture and more air in the presentation. Gryphon also has some more texture and power in the low frequencies. I feels like the bas is bigger and fills the room better. But this is something that has been a bit evened out during the break in period.
Krell loves when I play at about 100db. Gryphon starts to get problems when I play very loud and above 100-105db due to just 150 Watt class A. That is seldom though.

When Krell 350 MC are broken in they are up to a final test against Gryphon and then the will be moved to my dental clinic.

Apexorca, Glad to hear the Krells are coming along. It's not surprising about the Gryphon being more nuanced than the Krells. But your Krell's retain special qualities that can't be beat by modern day amps. In my experience they have a "presence quality" that my Macs don't have, a special "live performance" quality that is unrivaled in my experience. I'm sure you have heard it and know what I mean. And your right: the louder you play the more prominent this quality becomes. These mono amps you have are special. Hang on to them. Don't ever sell them.

In regards to power, I have paid special attention to it. As you might have surmised from my above comment to NZ2421291 I use a Transguard TG60 whole house surge protector that protects the house from power surges including lightning. It has significant filtering of noise. And then I have a 400 amp fuse box (400 amp service) and a secondary fuse box providing the necessary circuits for my 4 dedicated 20 amp lines using number 10 wire. I agree that power conditioners and cords help but are no substitute for raw power. My system has zero audible hum and noise at 100% volume at all inputs with all equipment on except my tuner.

Apexorca 02-28-2019 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles (Post 955206)
Apexorca, Glad to hear the Krells are coming along. It's not surprising about the Gryphon being more nuanced than the Krells. But your Krell's retain special qualities that can't be beat by modern day amps. In my experience they have a "presence quality" that my Macs don't have, a special "live performance" quality that is unrivaled in my experience. I'm sure you have heard it and know what I mean. And your right: the louder you play the more prominent this quality becomes. These mono amps you have are special. Hang on to them. Don't ever sell them.

In regards to power, I have paid special attention to it. As you might have surmised from my above comment to NZ2421291 I use a Transguard TG60 whole house surge protector that protects the house from power surges including lightning. It has significant filtering of noise. And then I have a 400 amp fuse box (400 amp service) and a secondary fuse box providing the necessary circuits for my 4 dedicated 20 amp lines using number 10 wire. I agree that power conditioners and cords help but are no substitute for raw power. My system has zero audible hum and noise at 100% volume at all inputs with all equipment on except my tuner.

That's a serious installation :thumbsup:. That will make all details be revealed in the music. :yes:

TOGA 07-25-2019 08:43 PM

Wow..an amazing system. I think Alexx was just right.
I hope to build Mcintosh System too.
May be C70+MC611+MCD600 to drive Maggie 3.7i that I already have.

Toga

Charles 07-26-2019 03:50 AM

Toga, I'm happy that you noticed and like my new system. Practically everything is new. I'm not expecting any upgrades for awhile, certainly not to my speakers or cabling or amps/preamp/DAC. I have a very easy relaxed non fatiguing sound yet very dynamic and highly resolving at the same time. This is the result of the solid silver Audioquest cabling, silver IC's, silver power cords (Dragons) and the power conditioners. It is very difficult for anything to sound harsh or grainy. I have certain CD's that I know to be very tough on the midrange. I rarely pull them out anymore because the edge just isn't there anymore. I like this a lot. Again, thanks for the comment. I hope that you will stay on the website. I enjoy your comments and your systems. You and Apexorca are true connoisseurs of the highend. You remind me of each other and both have unique and tremendous systems with the Q7's and The SF's being the linchpins. Be sure to look at the new pics I posted also. Last update was an Audioquest Diamond silver USB cable.

TOGA 07-26-2019 07:58 AM

Charles , the reason I was away for a few years was because of the iPad. With it, I was almost stop using desktop computer. But unfortunately its small screen didnt convince me to enjoy reading forums or web board as much as I used to. The easier to read AA app was not support latest ios until recently. I had a new born baby a few months ago. I had much less time with music really.
I am glad that we still can find some new and better gears to enjoy and I can say the economics as a whole is not very good at all, lucky that we can still enjoy what we loved, music and great gears.

Toga

bart 07-26-2019 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TOGA (Post 974263)
Charles , the reason I was away for a few years was because of the iPad. With it, I was almost stop using desktop computer. But unfortunately its small screen didnt convince me to enjoy reading forums or web board as much as I used to. The easier to read AA app was not support latest ios until recently. I had a new born baby a few months ago. I had much less time with music really.
I am glad that we still can find some new and better gears to enjoy and I can say the economics as a whole is not very good at all, lucky that we can still enjoy what we loved, music and great gears.

Toga

Wow Toga!
A hearty congrats!!

Charles 07-26-2019 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TOGA (Post 974263)

Toga

Yes, a hearty congrats! I'm just glad your reasons for silence were not serious and the new baby, that's a very good event. A new mouth to feed can put a crimp in ones budget but I have confidence you will find a way. It's tremendous to have a room that will accommodate 2 beautiful speakers. You have certainly renewed my interest in Magnepan. The "3" platform is a very strong one and probably the one I would go with too.:yes:

Charles 01-13-2020 01:17 AM

Pics of my new Wilson Audio XVX Chronosonic

Pics of my new Wilson Audio XVX Chronosonic:

As soon as Ivan rotates I will have some comments.

Charles

Notice how well the XVX fits my room. Better than I could have ever hoped. In the second pic which shows the rear, notice the lighting feature. The XVX is far more complex than any other non limited production Wilson speaker. In addition to helping ensure correct settings, the lights help with photogrophy.

https://www.audioaficionado.org/atta...1&d=1578926845

https://www.audioaficionado.org/atta...1&d=1578926851

https://www.audioaficionado.org/atta...1&d=1578926857

https://www.audioaficionado.org/atta...1&d=1578926862

https://www.audioaficionado.org/atta...1&d=1578926869

https://www.audioaficionado.org/atta...1&d=1578926875

Charles 01-13-2020 01:36 AM

6 Attachment(s)

Charles

Notice how all the drivers are pointed exactly at my ears for true perfectly time aligned absolutely on axis listening customized for my ear height and listening distance. My ear height is just 36". The lowest ear height in the tables is 34". No other speaker that I know of provides this level of fine tuning to your ears. Again, in the third and fourth pics notice just how well the XVX fits my room. My room is 40' long. The XVX is deep and narrow. Absolutely perfect for my long narrow room of 15.5' in width. The XVX has an upper and lower block Chronometer and if you look carefully just inside the gantry in the fifth pic you can see the settings. The beautiful wheel seen in the last pic with its small protruding "thingamajig" or handle provides for the fore and aft adjustment of the upper block for ear height and ear distance from the speaker, according to the Table. The setting is A13.

I wiped off the white residue powder around the rivet in the final pic with a very soft cloth. It's gone.

https://www.audioaficionado.org/atta...1&d=1578927349

https://www.audioaficionado.org/atta...1&d=1578927354

https://www.audioaficionado.org/atta...1&d=1578927359

https://www.audioaficionado.org/atta...1&d=1578927367

https://www.audioaficionado.org/atta...1&d=1578927372

https://www.audioaficionado.org/atta...1&d=1578927379

Charles 01-13-2020 01:42 AM

4 Attachment(s)

Charles

The first pic shows the spike length of 4 setting on block step 2, according to the Table set to my ear height of 36" and listening distance of 11'. The level seen behind the block steps is part of the upper block.

The second pic shows the lower block with its micrometer set to 15.8, according to the Table for ear height and listening distance. The micrometer wheel and handle for the lower block is shown at the rear. For the lower block the block step is 4 and the spike length is 2, exactly the opposite of the upper block. The third pic shows the upper block lighting. Fourth pic the lower block light. The knobs controlling the intensity are in the middle of the horizontal bars containing the lights. The lights are off in these two pics but on in the first two pics.

The lighting is really helpful, a wonderful and thoughtful touch and feature.

There are two detents not shown that if you want you can see under XVX Installation in the Wilson Forum. The upper 7" mid detent position controls the tweeter and 7" upper mid positions relative to each other and are adjusted from the side not the rear. The lower 4" mid detent position controls the 4" mid relative to the lower 7" mid. Again, these detents are set according to the Tables for ear height 36" and distance from speaker 11'.

The chronometers with their micrometers adjust the upper and lower blocks fore and aft. The spikes and their blocks control the angle of the blocks relative to my ears. Setting the detents was the most difficult but nothing not easily done. It is very necessary to be sure that all settings/alignments are locked down for best sonics.

Go to the Wilson Forum on this website if you want to understand more about the detents.

https://www.audioaficionado.org/atta...1&d=1578927636

https://www.audioaficionado.org/atta...1&d=1578927642

https://www.audioaficionado.org/atta...1&d=1578927649

https://www.audioaficionado.org/atta...1&d=1578927655

Charles 01-13-2020 01:50 AM

6 Attachment(s)

Ditto.

The first and second pics are my Niagara 5000 power conditioners, one for each mono amp. They all have dedicated 20 amp lines and except for one Hurricane HC, all have Dragon HC cords. Third pic is the cabinet and sources that is right next to my sofa. It is totally removed from my sound field by means of 24' Wel Signature IC between pre and mains and 23' Wolf Sub IC for the middle 1.25 KW. Fourth pic shows just how far away the cabinet is from the speakers and amps. Fifth and sixth pics show the beautiful 1.25 KW's on custom marble slabs situated well below the sound field. I've been on cloud nine for days. It's been hard to get enough sleep. Much thanks goes to Ivan for making the project a success.

https://www.audioaficionado.org/atta...1&d=1578927948

https://www.audioaficionado.org/atta...1&d=1578927953

https://www.audioaficionado.org/atta...1&d=1578927959

https://www.audioaficionado.org/atta...1&d=1578927966

https://www.audioaficionado.org/atta...1&d=1578927972

https://www.audioaficionado.org/atta...1&d=1578927979

Apexorca 01-13-2020 02:01 PM

Wow!
That is a speaker. :banana:
Perfection in details in every corner of the speaker. I like the exoskeleton structure sides on the upper half of the speaker. Cool.

I never heard this model, but I'v heard Wilson Alexx in several occasions and I know it can perform great. Full range reproduction must be at it's best and it will be even better during the break in period.

Congratulations once more Charles.

I'm looking forward to hear about how the sound evolves. :eatndrink:

Charles 01-13-2020 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apexorca (Post 992253)
Wow!
That is a speaker. :banana:
Perfection in details in every corner of the speaker. I like the exoskeleton structure sides on the upper half of the speaker. Cool.

I never heard this model, but I'v heard Wilson Alexx in several occasions and I know it can perform great. Full range reproduction must be at it's best and it will be even better during the break in period.

Congratulations once more Charles.

I'm looking forward to hear about how the sound evolves. :eatndrink:

Thank you so much Carl! You have been a true friend, encouragement, and inspiration to me. Your system is second to none. :yes:

Masterlu 01-13-2020 05:15 PM

https://www.audioaficionado.org/atta...1&d=1578927642

This is not your grandfathers speaker. ;)

Charles 01-14-2020 12:55 PM

Preamp and DAC: McIntosh D1100
Speakers: Wilson Audio Specialties XVX Chronosonic
Cables main system: Audioquest Wel Signature speaker cables and balanced IC (preamp to amps); Wel Signature AES/EBU balanced digital IC for CD playback; Audioquest Diamond optical (1) for tuner, (1) for BR player, and (1) for LD player for total of (3); Diamond USB cable; McIntosh MCT cable for SACD playback; Dragon power cords (5 HC cords and 3 source cords for total of 8); Thunder HC power cord for tuner; cables for DVD player not listed
AC: Dedicated to this room only, an ultra-high efficiency and quiet recently installed Ruud split system 3-ton heat pump.

Charles 01-17-2020 07:52 PM

More pics of updated system

12 Attachment(s)
More pics of updated system:

The first pic shows the white power around the rivet removed with a very soft cloth. Also the smudge on the micrometer wheel.

Second and third pics the lightning feature for lower and upper blocks respectively. Lightning is set to lowest intensity level. There are three levels with the highest being quite bright.

Fourth and fifth shows the chronometer settings for upper and lower blocks.

Sixth the lower block components.

https://www.audioaficionado.org/atta...1&d=1579318538

JoeN 01-17-2020 10:08 PM

Charles,

It looks exceptional. I’m sure it sounds the same way. Again, congrats on such a fabulous system.

Charles 01-18-2020 05:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeN (Post 992651)
Charles,

It looks exceptional. I’m sure it sounds the same way. Again, congrats on such a fabulous system.

Thank you Joe. It has turned out better than I could have ever hopped. It really has. Very happy. :music:

howiebrou 01-18-2020 11:23 AM

Congratulations. It must sound amazing. End game speaker me thinks!

Charles 01-18-2020 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by howiebrou (Post 992701)
Congratulations. It must sound amazing. End game speaker me thinks!

Thank you so much! Yes, absolutely. There are few things that are certain in this life but I can say the XVX is my final speaker. In addition, I doubt I'll go with new larger Mac amps. The XVX never requires more than about 100 watts. I simply don't have the room for 3 upgraded 2KW's between my speakers. They could come out toward me on the floor, I guess. But I like the look of what I have. To my eye it looks very natural and well proportioned.:yes:

Apexorca 05-17-2020 12:25 PM

Hi Charles!
I'm curious. How do your magnificent Wilson respond to burn in? You probably used them for some hundred hours now.
I know you righteously liked them from the start, bur now it's probably even better. Is it?

Charles 05-29-2020 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apexorca (Post 1005031)
Hi Charles!
I'm curious. How do your magnificent Wilson respond to burn in? You probably used them for some hundred hours now.
I know you righteously liked them from the start, bur now it's probably even better. Is it?

Carl, I apologize for missing your question. I am going to post some pics and I saw you query. Interesting you asked this question. Almost every speaker I have had in my system did not change much after the first few days. This included my Maxx3 and Alexx. However, the XVX seems to still be improving in the midrange.

As you know the mids are new to Wilson's line. They are the alnico quadra mags ( aluminum/nickel/cobalt with 4 magnests as opposed to 2 in their other mid). The main difference I hear is an increase in resolution in the XVX mid and this increase continues to increase as time has passed.

The treble and bass haven't changed much in quality since the first week or so. My system is significantly more balanced than with my Alexx. I noticed an immediate better treble and much more mid clarity. Not much difference in the bass. The Alexx has excellent bass.

I am posting some pics of my new Thor. My bass is now much improved over my Alexx/Thor combo. But not in the sense of more bass but much better quicker perfectly damped articulate bass.

So it's in the midrange where the XVX really shines and continues to improve. Wilson has always had dynamics and excellent bass but has not had the ultimate in treble extension and mid clarity. Now they do with the XVX. I believe the XVX has resolution on par with the very best now, perhaps even better with these new mids.

Best,

Charles

Charles 05-29-2020 01:25 PM

Here are pics of my current system with my new Thor's Hammer.

First pic is finished installation

https://i.imgur.com/2bHY6Kuh.jpg?2

Second pic shows how well the AQ Niagara 5000 matches the XVX and Thor

https://i.imgur.com/D6tZwBqh.jpg

Third shows new Thor about to go up the stairs

https://i.imgur.com/9yvF2GBh.jpg

Fourth shows new Thor with casters still on dolly

https://i.imgur.com/U52MzeVh.jpg

Fifth shows a closeup with the new natural ports matching the XVX hardware

https://i.imgur.com/pX4cXYch.jpg

Six and seven shows the finished ends of the new Thor. The end on the right (seventh pic) was unfinished old Thor. Very nice touch by Wilson.

https://i.imgur.com/Ww2lZ3Rh.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/H7L8Xoth.jpg

Pic 8 shows the new Thor in position

https://i.imgur.com/YqlhQFsh.jpg

It was a difficult installation but the final pic shows a wonderful result

https://i.imgur.com/0GgWxelh.jpg

This new Thor sounds substantially better than the old Thor which was over 10 years old and a demo. It was one of the first made and I really put it through a lot. The new Thor has the third generation X material and perfectly integrates with my XVX. I honestly cannot imagine a better subwoofer than this new Thor. Notice the new Galaxy Grey color matching my XVX. In addition to the greatly improved sonics my system looks "one piece" and not like the sub was an afterthought. I did a lot of research deciding between the Thor or the Subsonic. Wilson recommended the Thor because of its higher low frequency output and also sensitivity (2 dB). The Subsonic may have a quicker upper bass but I simply can't imagine a quicker more resolved articulate bass than I have now. The Thor 15" woofers excel at picking up very soft barely audible very low frequency notes and it has massive incredible output that the Subsonic can't match, when called on to produce.

Best

Charles

cleeds 05-29-2020 02:39 PM

Whoa!