AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   JL Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Masterlu JL113/112 question? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=1532)

KingRT 07-08-2009 12:19 AM

Masterlu JL113/112 question?

First:
Do you sell crossovers?
If so, do you think some Full Range speakers and JL113/112 or any good sub can be set up without the use of an x-over and sound just as good or close as a system with a crossover, parametric EQ, set up right.?

I tried with zero success for weeks. I wanted a Bryston, but settled for a SMS-1 (much cheaper). Might still buy a Bryston now that I see/and better yet hear, the improvement.
It showed what I was hearing, the room was a mess with the speakers playing full range (LS360's and then SF Auditors) and the sub overlapping 40hz to 100hz.

The way I had the system connected sends the full range signal to both the speakers and the sub. It didn't have a crossover to send the low frequencies to the sub and the higher frequencies to the speakers. Since the sub and speakers are trying to play the same thing they don't integrate well. The SMS-1 and eq, corrects/helps these problems.

Without a parametric eqaulizer and xover, the JL ARO eq on the F113/F112 is not up to the EQ job you need. I know blasphemy. (My opinion.)

The elf. turned all hz down, not just 25 hz as the manual states. The elf hz footprint is so huge, its like a volume control. Again (Blasphemy). My opinion.

So what is the Ivan honest opinion, since you have seen, more important yet, heard a lot more systems then most of us.
I hope you sell crossovers, if you share the same opinion...
If not, we can debate it, on the next Pipe/HT/Audio visit.
Dont get me wrong, I love JL subs, I own 3 of them!
And plan to buy more.

Masterlu 07-08-2009 12:38 AM

All good stuff, take a deep breath...

Yes, I sell crossovers; lots of them. :yes:

I also know full range speakers can be set up to work excellent with JL subs w/o an x/o. I have done a few dozen rooms w/o one.

ARO on JL subs is not the end all adjustment, in fact it is just the beginning. We will have to talk and I can help eliminate alot of your frustrations. :thumbsup:

1KW 07-08-2009 07:42 AM

Here is the subjective question of the day . Which would sound better ? Keep my SF Cremona and get either a JL Fathom F112 / F113 or trade the SF Cremona in for a pair of Elipsa's ? Room size is on the small size 16 'x 16' x 8.5 ' . The bass does not feel lacking but I thought the sub would enhance the low end to add a bit more fullness. I have heard the F112 with his SF Memento's with the 501's and I thought they sounded great.

Masterlu 07-08-2009 07:50 AM

No thought really needed, keep the Cremona's & add a F112 /F113. :yes:

And not because I sell them, they are that good!

Still-One 07-08-2009 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1KW (Post 26501)
Here is the subjective question of the day . Which would sound better ? Keep my SF Cremona and get either a JL Fathom F112 / F113 or trade the SF Cremona in for a pair of Elipsa's ? Room size is on the small size 16 'x 16' x 8.5 ' . The bass does not feel lacking but I thought the sub would enhance the low end to add a bit more fullness. I have heard the F112 with his SF Memento's with the 501's and I thought they sounded great.

I think you really want the Elipsa's. :)

1KW 07-08-2009 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stillone (Post 26509)
I think you really want the Elipsa's. :)

:yes:

jdandy 07-08-2009 12:00 PM

David.......Even with the Elipsa's, a Fathom f113 in your room will enhance the lowest octaves, and increase the three dimensional aspects of the sonic presentation.

Your room size is not small, but rather a nice medium sized room. At 256 sq. ft., and 2176 cu. ft., the room is larger than many audio show rooms. Your room is not too small for the Elipsa's or the Strads.

My opinion is, keep the Cremona's and add a Fathom f113. If you must have the Elipsa's, bring home a Fathom f113, too. That's the best of both worlds.

1KW 07-09-2009 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 26505)
No thought really needed, keep the Cremona's & add a F112 /F113. :yes:

And not because I sell them, they are that good!

For my 16 x 16 x 8.5 foot room which one would you recommend ? What cable would you feed the sub. with ? Do I put the sub. between my 2 speakers or off to the side near the equipment which would then put it closer to one speaker over the other and in a corner.

Still-One 07-09-2009 02:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1KW (Post 26749)
For my 16 x 16 x 8.5 foot room which one would you recommend ? What cable would you feed the sub. with ? Do I put the sub. between my 2 speakers or off to the side near the equipment which would then put it closer to one speaker over the other and in a corner.

The devil on your shoulder says you really want to select from these. :yes:

KingRT 07-09-2009 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1KW (Post 26501)

I wrestled with the same thoughts.
The JL subs do add what seems to be missing. Which I did not even know I was missing, (SF blinded) until I bought the subs! It added depth/weight to the notes within their range. Plus I use 501's too. (Thanks to Ivan)

But the Elipsa's are good looking, just standing there, at point, in the room.
My next big purchase...