AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Events & Demos (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   AXPONA 22 Was Amazing (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=51093)

SomeGeoffGuy 04-27-2022 08:18 AM

AXPONA 22 Was Amazing

Did anyone else make it? I was thrilled to see the place absolutely PACKED with people. There were a lot more good rooms than bad rooms, but here is my high level summary:

Best Rooms:
- Focal (of course) but not even with their big dogs, with the Maestro's (running from their top of the line Naim power setup). It was easily the best of show.
- Krell and their new 400 watt x 2 (into 8 ohm) Class A amp running into a pair of Estelon Forza. Engineer claimed it was 2 ohm stable at 1600 watts. I believe it after hearing the demo.
- Elac debuting some small but amazing sounding Concerto S507 speakers running seven drivers per.
- Klipsch bringing those giant Jubulee speakers. Like listening to history.
- Hearing the Wilson WAMM serial #1, fully restored and sounding incredible. Great story in that room.
- Watching Michael Fremer set up a cartridge is a treat. My first but hopefully not last time seeing this.

Biggest disappointments:
- Dynaudio room - they had one of the biggest rooms in the best location but their setup just sounded flat. Maybe they shouldn't have been set up next to Focal!
- B&W had the 801D4 set up in a tiny hotel room! What a waste. On top of that there was a giant line just to get in there. Didn't even bother to wait. A local Chicago dealer had the 802D4 set up in a decent room and they sounded incredible.
- Paradigm - Room by Saturday Audio Exchange. They had some of the new Founder series Speakers. I tried to get in there, but for some reason the guy running the room decided he would be a DJ and spent more demo time talking than playing music. This actually jammed up the room and I never got a good listen. I am happy to know the background behind the recording you are playing, but maybe put it on a flier and just play it.

All in all, so glad to get out and just do normal things again.

-Geoff

Porsche993TT 04-27-2022 08:32 AM

post like this is why sound is so subjective

dynaudio room was great in my opinion as well as burmiester room, every room i heard with magico was awesome as well IMO, the synergistic research room was awesome as well. the rooms by quintessence audio where stunning

SomeGeoffGuy 04-27-2022 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Porsche993TT (Post 1059578)
post like this is why sound is so subjective

dynaudio room was great in my opinion as well as burmiester room, every room i heard with magico was awesome as well IMO, the synergistic research room was awesome as well. the rooms by quintessence audio where stunning

No argument on the subjectiveness of home audio! I agree with your comment on the Burmiester setup too. I asked the Scott Walker guys why Magico didn't present it's own display, and he didn't have a good answer other than to say they had multiple sets through the show. I agree every single one sounded good though.

I didn't think Dynaudio was bad, it just didn't meet my expectations. I thought the soundstage they created was too small for the room. I went to the room Friday and Saturday too. I did go after Focal both times though, which probably shaded me a bit. I sat front row center with three of my friends Saturday at Focal and that was the in my ears the best system of the weekend.

-Geoff

paltomare 04-27-2022 12:15 PM

Yeah, something was off with the Dyn setup. Best in show for me was the Avantgarde Trio G3 but I felt they could have benefited from a larger room. The JS Audio Wilson room was a treat. Other standouts for me were Burmester, The Audio Company room with VAC amplification (not sure what the speakers were), the LTA/Devore room sounded much bigger than their physical size. This is the second show I've been to where the LTA gear impressed me. I thought the Zesto/Tannoy room sounded great and of course the Jubilee's blasting Tool was pretty darn cool. This was my first Axpona, I'm glad I went but not sure I'd travel cross country to go again.

audioguy3107 04-27-2022 08:32 PM

Did anyone take any pictures??? Nice to see a successful show after the dumpster fire of the last 2 years.

- Buck

FreddieFerric 05-15-2022 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audioguy3107 (Post 1059599)
Did anyone take any pictures??? Nice to see a successful show after the dumpster fire of the last 2 years.

- Buck

Would be interested to see a set of them as well.

audioguy3107 05-16-2022 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FreddieFerric (Post 1060577)
Would be interested to see a set of them as well.

For a couple years I did my best to document RMAF along with some great pictures, I would've gone to AXPONA if work hadn't gotten in the way. Going forward, if AXPONA is the premier US show, I'm gonna try my best next year to get some AA folks up there and carry on the torch. I've seen some pics on other sites, looked like a good show. I wouldn't mind checking out the Florida show next year, short hop from Atlanta.

- Buck