AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   JBL Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   6300 Series - JBL Pro (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=1048)

jdandy 05-30-2009 03:44 PM

6300 Series - JBL Pro

The JBL Pro line of speakers are very impressive. I am currently using the LSR6332 monitors, and the LSR6312SP powered subwoofer in the recording studio, and the LSR 6328P powered near field monitors in the Control room at the mixing desk. These speakers sound excellent, have great dynamic range, and power handling capabilities. The LSR6328P powered near field monitors are amazingly clean. These speakers, with room mode correction circuitry built into their internal amplifiers would make perfect surround and rear channel speakers in a nice home theater system. In fact, seven of the 6328P's and the 6312SP powered sub, plus a pre/pro would be all you needed for a great surround sound system, no additional amps necessary.

The JBL 6300 Series speakers are very nice. JBL :: Product Family

jdandy 05-31-2009 07:33 PM

This is a good read. Bob Owesinski's review of the LSR 6300 series JBL speakers.
http://www.jblpro.com/products/recor...ound_01-05.pdf

pi314 11-22-2009 04:38 AM

Hi, first time poster here. I've read the review you link to, as well as other reviews. What I'd be keen to know is how you find the 6328's compared to the 6332's? In particular, is there much/anything that can be improved on in the 6328's? (I know they measure very well.) No need to mention low end extension as I'm assuming a sub is in place to take care of that.

jdandy 11-26-2009 10:47 PM

pi314.......The 6300 series of JBL Professional speakers is an excellent line. I use the LSR6332 speakers (3-way passive) for double duty. Using Speakon connectors, I am able to quickly connect these two speakers as monitors that playback from equipment in my studio control room, or connect them to my MC352 amplifier, and use them as front left and right channels in my home theater surround sound system. The JBL LSR6332 speakers are accurate mid-field monitors that produce a clean audio performance , and can accept plenty of power while creating high sound pressure levels and wide dynamic range. I like them a lot.

The JBL LSR6328P is an active 2-way speaker, bi- amplified, using built-in electronic crossovers with a 250 watt amp on the 8" woofer, and a 120 watt amp on the dome tweeter. The LSR6328P has surprisingly good, deep, powerful bass. Their primary design function is near-field monitoring, but they work very well in a surround sound system as well. I use two at a control console connected to a digital 16 track mixer. In the home theater I use two LSR6328P's for my center channel, and two more LSR6328P speakers, one for left surround, and one for right surround. I also use a JBL LSR6312SP powered subwoofer in the surround sound system. The results are amazing, whether I am watching a movie with dynamic surround sound, or listening to 5.1 channel surround music from SACD's. The full blown JBL speaker set up in the home theater system is thrilling, and produces excellent audio performance for movies and music.

If you don't want to use the larger LSR6332 3-way speakers on the front two channels that will need amps, you can easily run two LSR6328P's on the left and right fronts as well. The LSR6328P's are great speakers in their own right. The two at the mixing console in the studio control room are perfect for that job, and five or six of them plus a subwoofer will create a top notch surround sound system for you by just adding a nice surround processor like the MX120 or MX136.

By the way, welcome to Audio Aficionado. :wave:

Vintage Pete 11-26-2009 11:19 PM

Welcome pi314 to AA! :wave:

You'll find a good number of JBL fans here, I confess to being one of them! Dan is definitely the man to talk to about the LSR series.

Pete

Still-One 11-27-2009 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vintage Pete (Post 50112)
Welcome pi314 to AA! :wave:

You'll find a good number of JBL fans here, I confess to being one of them! Dan is definitely the man to talk to about the LSR series.

Pete

And just about everything else audio related too. :thumbsup:

Vintage Pete 11-27-2009 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stillone (Post 50135)
And just about everything else audio related too. :thumbsup:

Yep.... that's a fact, come to think of it! :yes: We try, though.....

Pete

jdandy 11-27-2009 01:53 PM

Jim.......

Pete.......

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I love this hobby, and have gained a ton of knowledge through the past 40+ years since owning my first real sound system, but by no means do I have a lock on the audio encyclopedia. Both of you gentlemen, and many others here carry very big torches, too. It is fun to share and help others when I can. When I discover that I actually helped someone, it is quite rewarding. :thumbsup:

pi314 11-28-2009 04:49 AM

jdandy and Vintage Pete, thanks for the welcome and the detailed reply :thumbsup:

I was thinking of setting up a 4.1 channel system for music and home theater based on four 6328’s. I suppose I was wondering if I’d be losing much by not using 6332’s for the front speakers. In particular, would I be able to play films at reference level without noticeable distortion? (Seating positions would be about 6 to 9 feet from the front speakers.)

jdandy, by the way, why do you use two 6328’s for your center channel rather than just one?

smmbear 12-02-2009 08:25 PM

so can anyone tell me how they like the lsr 6332 ? i want to run them as L R and center i have tons of power available and more than capable subs . i have a treated room and run dynaudio speakers now . they sound good but lack spl dynamics . i have tried some pro speakers and they lack alot compared to the dyns . the 6332 seem like a dream on paper . how is the off axis ? the dyns suck you haven to be dead center and thats not good for the theater part . i listen to alot of music also .i cant find any way local to listen to a set (chicago land) .