AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Time Pieces (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=76)
-   -   Watches 2018 (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=44759)

DonBattles 12-31-2018 11:03 PM

Watches 2018

6 Attachment(s)
My passion for watches rivals my love of audio. And since I’m more than happy with my 2 channel audio set up I find myself once again on the horological hunt.
About mid year I picked up SInn U1 dive watch. I’ve owned a few U1’s over the years and once again found myself drawn to this timekeeping behemoth. This time however I opted for the fully tegimented model. This is a hardening process of the steel that makes the surface very durable and scratch resistant. So far it’s help up well.

Attachment 57616

Next up was a Omega Speedmaster Racing Master Chronometer. I loved this watch since its debut at Basel World in 2017 and knew I would one day have one. And finally in late September my vision came true.

Attachment 57617

Attachment 57618

If my 2018 watch journey would have ended with the above pieces I would have been completely happy. But thanks to my wife more was to come, for Christmas Yolanda presented me with an Omega Speedmaster Moon Watch. She didn’t settle for the base Moon Watch with engraved case-back and hesitate crystal. Instead she went for the Sapphire Sandwich, an upgrade I’ll gladly accept :)

Attachment 57619

Attachment 57620

Yolanda was also thoughtful enough to arrange a exchange at the AD should I not like the Speedy. So the dealer held the warranty cards so I might do an exchange. So today I stopped at the AD to pick up my warranty cards and some other paper work when something else caught my eye. CH Premier, the selling dealer, has LOTS of eye candy for the watch lover. Brands like Omega, Panerai, IWC, A. Lange, Breguet, Bell & Ross, Carl F Bucherer, Glashutte Original, Jaeger LeCoultre, Piaget, Patek Philippe, just to name a few. So while I was waiting to be helped a strolled around the store as I usually do taking in all the lovely wristwatches. As I strolled to the back I the store a spotted a small gathering of Grand Seiko pieces. I’ve never handled one in person so there was no way I wasn’t going to fondle one, or two :)
All were nice but one in particular got my juices flowing, the SBGE201G, a Spring Drive GMT that’s part of their Sport Collection. I knew when I placed this on my wrist I wasn’t leaving without it.

Attachment 57621

radio times 12-31-2018 11:50 PM

You have great taste Don, I like the GS's and that's my favourite.

Shrinky Smurf 01-01-2019 05:06 PM

Congratulations! All beautiful and elegant timepieces, each in their own right. I have handled an Omega Speedmaster Moon Watch without the upgrade at the local AD, and it was amazing. The upgrade makes it simply superb. You are a fortunate man. I am glad you are getting so much enjoyment, as it seems each piece matches your aesthetic so well.
Best,
Shrinky.

Mikado463 01-01-2019 06:18 PM

all nice pieces Don, especially the GS !

DonBattles 01-05-2019 09:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikado463 (Post 947274)
all nice pieces Don, especially the GS !

Thanks, the fit and finish for the GS price point is hard to beat. And the Spring Drive movement is something special. Too bad this doesn’t use display back like some other GS’s do. The clasp is nicely done as well. Attachment 57675

Cohibaman 01-05-2019 09:20 PM

Watches 2018

3 Attachment(s)
Nicely done, Don. I’m drooling in fact. I’ve always been an Omega guy thanks to my father. He used to go to every rummage sale he found and he would ask if they had any watches. Most people never considered putting old watches out so he usually had good pickings. Your GS is top notch.

Here’s a few pages on GS from a book my wife gave me for Christmas, “A Man & His Watch”.

Enjoy!

Mike

Attachment 57676

Attachment 57677

Attachment 57678

DonBattles 01-06-2019 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cohibaman (Post 947964)
Nicely done, Don. I’m drooling in fact. I’ve always been an Omega guy thanks to my father. He used to go to every rummage sale he found and he would ask if they had any watches. Most people never considered putting old watches out so he usually had good pickings. Your GS is top notch.

Here’s a few pages on GS from a book my wife gave me for Christmas, “A Man & His Watch”.

Enjoy!

Mike

Attachment 57676

Attachment 57677

Attachment 57678

Sounds like a great book, is this it?

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/a-m...nek/1125984118

Cohibaman 01-06-2019 02:03 AM

Yes sir. I smile when I’m reading it.

DonBattles 01-07-2019 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cohibaman (Post 948012)
Yes sir. I smile when I’m reading it.

Thanks so much for mentioning this book, just ordered a copy. Will be my new “coffee table book”!

Mikado463 01-08-2019 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonBattles (Post 948007)
Sounds like a great book, is this it?

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/a-m...nek/1125984118

got it for Xmas, 20 bucks @ Amazon.