AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Shindo Laboratory (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   Considering Shindo 753 Speakers (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=31264)

4Musica 04-19-2015 11:49 PM

Considering Shindo 753 Speakers

The Shindo 753 speakers intrigue me as a significant upgrade to my Aud 23 Solovox speakers. I would appreciate hearing back from any of you who own or have heard the 753's as to their musical merits, especially in comparison to the Solovox and/or the large Shindo Latours. My preamp is the Masseto and amplification is currently via Wavelength Cardinal mono blocks. I will eventually upgrade to Shindo amplification but first want to address the speaker upgrade issue. I listen primarily to vinyl and some digital. Many thanks in advance for all comments!
Best Regards,
Steven

4Musica 05-03-2015 09:21 PM

Well, since I am not getting any replies to my question on this forum or on audiogon, I will change the question to approach an upgrade path in plan B mode. If I were to keep the Solovox speakers, what Shindo amplifier(s) would any of you care to recommend?

Loop4fun 05-04-2015 12:58 AM

Steven, My advice would be to chat with a dealer. If they still make the 753, it looks formidable.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4Musica (Post 697188)
Well, since I am not getting any replies to my question on this forum or on audiogon, I will change the question to approach an upgrade path in plan B mode. If I were to keep the Solovox speakers, what Shindo amplifier(s) would any of you care to recommend?

riesling 05-04-2015 01:34 AM

change or add partner?

Instead of switching your speakers, did you consider adding a high quality tweeter to your Solovox ? One of the best tweeters available is the WE replica 597A from Line Magnetics Audio. Coupling to the Solovox can be done very easily and simply through a PIO capacitor (+/- 1 uF) and an extra strip of (A23) cables.
I am sure you would be not only surprised but overwhelmed by the musical result.

I add a link to an article (in German) where Roland Kraft describes the outcome of pairing the Rondo (with at the base the same - or nearly the same - chassis as in the Solovox) with the LM 597A http://www.fidelity-magazin.de/equip...cs-hochtoener/

riesling 05-04-2015 03:34 AM

redundant

Alberto 05-04-2015 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4Musica (Post 693673)
The Shindo 753 speakers intrigue me as a significant upgrade to my Aud 23 Solovox speakers. I would appreciate hearing back from any of you who own or have heard the 753's as to their musical merits, especially in comparison to the Solovox and/or the large Shindo Latours. My preamp is the Masseto and amplification is currently via Wavelength Cardinal mono blocks. I will eventually upgrade to Shindo amplification but first want to address the speaker upgrade issue. I listen primarily to vinyl and some digital. Many thanks in advance for all comments!
Best Regards,
Steven

Steven,

As always, the key question is: "What aspect of the sonic signature of your current system are you trying to address or improve?" If we don't know the destination it's hard to give advice.

What do you feel is missing from the Solovox?

Alberto

4Musica 05-04-2015 02:12 PM

Bill (Loop4fun) - I have talked with my dealer about the 753's. They are still made, but my dealer does not carry them. Before I would consider a long road trip from Ohio to New York to hear them, I am hoping to get some feedback from people who have heard them. I do like the way they look, and another plus is the fact that my wife also likes the way they look!

Riesling - That is an interesting idea about incorporating LM's replica WE 597A's. (Thank you for the link. Wish I could read German!) Pursuing that option would almost certainly involve communication with Keith Aschenbrenner (sp?) of Aud 23 if for no other reason than to get his blessing. and guidance.

Alberto - You are quite right; I did not give enough information in my original post. I have owned my Solovox's for 4 years, and as much as I love them, I find myself more and more missing the upper and lower frequencies. I also wish they could play louder and with even more (lifelike) presence. My dream speaker, the one that could address all of that and so much more, is the new Aud 23 Cinema Hommage. It is, without a doubt, the best overall speaker for me that I have ever heard. Just flat out superb in every way. Unfortunately, they are quite expensive ($54,400 per pair) and have a very low, perhaps not even measurable, WAF!

Thank you all for your thoughtful replies!

Best Regards,
Steven

bart 05-04-2015 02:29 PM

I had never heard of the Auditorium 23 Cinema Hommage speakers.
They certainly look interesting!

http://inlivingstereo.com/wp-content/uploads/22a1.jpg

4Musica 05-04-2015 03:44 PM

Bart - I should have been more clear in my reference to the Cinema Hommage speakers I covet so badly. There are two models of which I am aware, the 22 and the 23. The photo you included with your reply is of the 23. The one I heard was the 22, which is smaller and IMO nicer looking!

Best Regards,
Steven

4Musica 05-04-2015 03:48 PM

Correction! I just checked the Aud 23 website. Bart's photo is of the Hommage 22A. The smaller offering, which is the one I would love to own, is the Cinema Hommage.

Best Regards,
Steven