AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Tuners (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   A Tuner In Your System? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=6225)

jdandy 11-22-2010 08:53 PM

A Tuner In Your System?

I don't know if it is because I am old enough to remember the days of underground FM radio in San Francisco back in the late 60's, but for me a sound system just doesn't seem complete without a good FM stereo tuner. In the late 60's and early 70's my sound system's tuner was tuned to one FM station or another almost as much as spinning vinyl or reel to reel. An FM tuner was a vital part of the sound system, and considered a great source. So it comes as no surprise that I still feel a quality tuner is an asset to a good sound system. Every system I have ever assemble has included a tuner. I have four tuners now.

How about you, is there a tuner in your sound system? Do you consider a tuner an important source component? What do you think?

Vintage Pete 11-22-2010 08:58 PM

I have always had a tuner in my system, and always will. I believe, as you do Dan, that a tuner is an important, and very enjoyable sourse component.
I listen to my tuner FAR more than I do my CD's. Not that I consider it to be superior-of course it isn't-but it's just a matter of how often I find the time
to sit down for some serious listening. The FM tuner is nearly always playing in the background. The tuners I'm actively using now are all McIntosh-MR77,
MR78, MR80, and and MX117 Tuner preamp. They are all fine performers. I also have a Sansui TU-717 in storage.

Pete

jdandy 11-22-2010 09:02 PM

Pete.......I have never known you to be speechless. Cat got your tongue, or did you fall asleep at the keyboard? :lmao:

Vintage Pete 11-22-2010 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 120080)
Pete.......I have never known you to be speechless. Cat got your tongue, or did you fall asleep at the keyboard? :lmao:

I guess I dozed for a second there, Dan.... :lmao:

Pete

Vintage Pete 11-22-2010 09:06 PM

I'm presently listening to my MR80 (main system) and my MR78 (office system) simultaneously.

Pete

two dot 11-22-2010 09:07 PM

I don't use a tuner in either one of my home systems... no decent local radio around here.

I do have a, recently purchased, CT-810 Yamaha in my office...

I too remember a great time in HI-FI when no system was complete without one.

Masterlu 11-22-2010 09:10 PM

I am using them more now than ever. An MR85 & MR88 in Florida; and an MR88, MA6600 w/TM2 in the Cape.

Also looking seriously at Magnum-Dynalab! :yes:

Still-One 11-22-2010 09:13 PM

Haven't had a tuner in any of my systems since the early 90's. I do not foresee anything changing that would make me want one.

Jim

bradleyc 11-22-2010 09:23 PM

I've been listening to five or six local radio stations for decades, a couple of them since grade school in the early 70's. No way I'm buying a lot of classical, jazz or alternative music, it's easy enough to get a small fix from the air waves. Reception is pretty good around here in the flat lands. There are some decent new HD radio broadcasts in the area, too bad they dropped the 24-hour blues HD2 multi-cast. Those corporate radio mucky mucks replaced the blues with another pop forty mix :tears:

JFR0317 11-22-2010 09:30 PM

I have an MR88 in my downstairs system, which means it can be accessed from a total of six zones. I feed its digital output to my MCD500 in the two MX120 zones.

We use it a lot.:thumbsup: