AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Vinyl & Accessories (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Kirmuss Ultrasonic LP Cleaner (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=51355)

Formerly YB-2 07-11-2022 09:37 AM

Kirmuss Ultrasonic LP Cleaner

Anyone here used one? Lots of BS & some controversy with the founder, but most reviews are positive. MFremer has an in-depth review somewhere on his Analog Planet website. Am thinking that the Kirmuss for washing and my CA as the dryer might make a good combination.

FreddieFerric 07-11-2022 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 (Post 1063716)
Anyone here used one? Lots of BS & some controversy with the founder, but most reviews are positive. MFremer has an in-depth review somewhere on his Analog Planet website. Am thinking that the Kirmuss for washing and my CA as the dryer might make a good combination.

Glenn. I'd approach this system with some caution, or at least eyes wide open. Apparently there were a number of complaints that unless you fully wash the record first with his special brush and solution and get all of the white stuff that comes out of the grooves fully removed, it can result in sludge building up on the stylus tip that can actually damage the cartridge. MF wrote about this on his analog planet website. It may also be one of the reasons that Kirmuss markets his product as a record restoration system rather than just a RCM.

For me, I want nothing to do with any system that would have me invest 30 or 40 minutes of hand washing work just to get a record "restored" and that's before it goes into the ultra sonic bath. And then there's the drying since his machine doesn't do that.

I visited his booth at RMAF 2018 and got a back ache just standing there waiting to see results.

Hard pass for me, but that's just my personal view YMMV.

Fbgbill 07-11-2022 10:06 PM

As I was searching for a new RC I did not research this one. The brand came up in reading different reviews as a comparison and it was said something to the effect that the Kirmuss was a very time consuming process. I did not read further as it did not sound like what I was looking for which was simplifying my own process. FWIW.

tima 07-12-2022 03:11 PM

The guy wears a white lab coat to sell record cleaners. -- that kinda says it all.

There are much better choices.

Formerly YB-2 11-03-2022 11:53 PM

Spoke with Charles Kirmuss and he said he would clean a couple of LPs for me at the Capital Audiofest. About as good a test as I can imagine.

KahunaCanuck 11-04-2022 01:21 PM

Have you looked at Perfect Vinyl Forever? Seems like a pretty cool service...

I'm interested to see what you think of the test cleans...let us know!

Formerly YB-2 11-04-2022 02:11 PM

PVR looks good except for the cost. Would be $10K to do all my LPs. Reads like an excellent service, but think I'll try adding an ultra-sonic to my vacuum LP cleaner first. I've got the rest of my life to get them all cleaned.

I'll keep you posted on my visit with Kirmuss. Hope he understands I don't want to spend half my day at the show in his booth.

FreddieFerric 11-04-2022 06:55 PM

Glenn, I wonder if Mr. Kirmuss will provide a log of how much time he spent cleaning those records.

Formerly YB-2 11-04-2022 07:42 PM

I plan to be standing there watching, so should get a good idea. I'm primarily interested in an ultra-sonic cleaner to use with my vacuum LP cleaner (as the drying step), so whatever it takes after the cleaning cycle to dry the LP will not figure into the equation for me. Unless, of course, he does the same thing.

FreddieFerric 11-05-2022 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 (Post 1068180)
I plan to be standing there watching, so should get a good idea. I'm primarily interested in an ultra-sonic cleaner to use with my vacuum LP cleaner (as the drying step), so whatever it takes after the cleaning cycle to dry the LP will not figure into the equation for me. Unless, of course, he does the same thing.

I spent time at his little booth in Denver. His full cleaning process is just too hands on, labor intensive and time consuming for me to ever consider. But, as you said, your interest lies in a more abridged version of his cleaning method.

Good luck and let us know what your impressions are.