AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Analog Pressings (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=170)
-   -   New Steely Dan Remasters (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=51168)

FreddieFerric 05-18-2022 07:55 PM

New Steely Dan Remasters

Just pre-ordered (from Acoustic Sounds) the new 45 RPM remasters of Steely Dan's later LP's "Two Against Nature" and "Everything Must Go" both of which I like quite a bit.

Well, come to think of it, I like their entire catalog quite a bit. :banana:

r042wal 05-18-2022 08:21 PM

Amazing artist, one of my all-time favorites. Why 45 rpm and not 33-1/3?

JoeN 05-18-2022 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by r042wal (Post 1060727)
Amazing artist, one of my all-time favorites. Why 45 rpm and not 33-1/3?

More waveform definition, normally better audio quality.

The Joy of 45 Collecting

Masterlu 05-18-2022 08:28 PM

Ordered Both :ok:

Masterlu 05-18-2022 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeN (Post 1060728)

The Joy of 45 Collecting

+1

FreddieFerric 05-18-2022 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 1060729)
Ordered Both :ok:

You are my Ambassador of Quan. :tiphat:

80B 05-18-2022 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeN (Post 1060728)

The Joy of 45 Collecting

I get that, yet 1-2 songs/side gets to be more bothersome than any sonic improvement is worth, except on a very few favorites, IMO. Of course, YMMV.

The fact my listening position is one very comfortable recliner has nothing to do with this opinion... :D

r042wal 05-18-2022 11:22 PM

Wasn't 'waveform' and limited realestate for track grooves one of the limitations of the LP, especially for rock music or music that had a lot of bass?

I looked up the remasters at Acoustic Sounds after FreddieFerric's post and it take two pressings to get what used to fit on an LP. That would not be a high price to pay for me but the first thing that went though my mind was digitizing a 45 - that's just he direction my skewed thinking takes :thought:

JoeN 05-19-2022 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 80B (Post 1060738)
I get that, yet 1-2 songs/side gets to be more bothersome than any sonic improvement is worth, except on a very few favorites, IMO. Of course, YMMV.

The fact my listening position is one very comfortable recliner has nothing to do with this opinion... :D

Just a few songs per side, yes. But you can hear the quality difference. It’s so worth it.

Flipping records is part of the experience. It’s fun. It makes you pay more attention to the music. Dropping the needle reengages you. You anticipate the last song of each side. And most important of all, if I’m old enough for a recliner than I know I need the exercise :D

I have an absolute wonderful streaming setup. It’s superb. And when I’m lazy I use it. But I really love a good vinyl setup. I was without it for many years. Only when I got back into it did I realize how much I missed it.

JoeN 05-19-2022 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by r042wal (Post 1060739)
Wasn't 'waveform' and limitedrealestate for track grooves one of the limitations of the LP, especially for rock music or music that had a lot of bass?

I looked up the remasters at Acoustic Sounds after FreddieFerric's post and it take two pressings to get what used to fit on an LP. That would not be a high price to pay for me but the first thing that went though my mind was digitizing a 45 - that's just he direction my skewed thinking takes :thought:

Analogue Production pressings are awesome IMO:

Quote:

True to its name, Analogue Productions works with the original analog master tapes - more than any other reissue label! The result is superior sound - richer, warmer and more lifelike, than digital.
I agree that cutting from the original master-tapes, using an all analogue signal-path, results in the closest to the original release as possible. However, cutting using both digital and analogue tools doesn’t have to be poor (but some are poor …). You have the opportunity to get the best of both worlds: the unbelievable texture and sonic depths from the analogue tape, as well as the precision and transparency from the digital process. It can be an awesome combo.

On the Steely Dan reissue, “Two Against Nature,” it is recorded to “a multi-track analog tape, mixed to 24/96 and mastered.” They state, “The dead-quiet double-LP, with the music spread over four sides of vinyl, reduces distortion and high frequency loss as the wider-spaced grooves let your stereo cartridge track more accurately.”

You can count on their description. I own and enjoy numerous AP pressings (Brubeck, Doors, Norah Jones, Shelby Lynn, Otis Redding, etc.). AP reissues are dead quiet and very high quality. They are costly, but well worth it. CRÈME DE LA CRÈME :thumbsup:

JMO