AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   General Audio Discussion (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   Nice Cans? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=49914)

70sMac 05-23-2021 11:47 PM

Nice Cans?

As the flu that shall not be named by its origin keeps dragging on and on, I've come to realize that I rarely get a chance to hear my music -- as it was intended to be heard -- ever since the Mrs started spending all of her time at home.

I've never owned a set of decent headphones, so I suppose that it's high time to invest in a pair. If anyone has any thoughts on the latest headphone tech, I'd appreciate the information. By the way, I'm not looking for the state of the art Tournaire Focal Utopias...but I'm not looking for something that you would typically find in a seat pouch on a Southwest Airline flight, either.

As ever, thank you for your time :D

gadawg 05-24-2021 08:46 AM

I have the Focal Clears which are much less money and still sound great!

George

Formerly YB-2 05-24-2021 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gadawg (Post 1038850)
I have the Focal Clears which are much less money and still sound great!
George

+1. If I get another set of 'cans' will be the Focal Clear, again. Terrfic sound & long-term comfort.

Antonmb 05-24-2021 10:02 AM

Dan Clark Audio Aeon series are phenomenal. There are both open and closed for $900, or the RT version for $500. They’re very comfortable, and the closed version is perhaps the best closed out there for under a grand.
https://www.danclarkaudio.com/headphones/aeon.html

dkorbal 05-24-2021 11:59 AM

I use Beyerdynamics dt 1990. I originally got them for studio mixing at my local church but found they work well for those nights that the wife goes to bed early. Happy wife ...... :D Being studio headphones they have a bump in the higher frequencies which works for me.

cleeds 05-24-2021 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 70sMac (Post 1038845)
As the flu that shall not be named by its origin keeps dragging on and on ... If anyone has any thoughts on the latest headphone tech, I'd appreciate the information ...

I'd recommend Grado RS-1s even if you hadn't tried to conceal political commentary in your question about headphones.

DVass13 05-24-2021 07:47 PM

Do you have a budget in mind or any specifics on what you're looking for? What gear will you be using to power these headphones?

70sMac 05-25-2021 12:16 AM

Starter Cans

Quote:

Originally Posted by DVass13 (Post 1038882)
Do you have a budget in mind or any specifics on what you're looking for? What gear will you be using to power these headphones?

As we've never owned a set of decent headphones, I was thinking of starting out with a good bang for your buck set to see what I think. Given the reviews I've read, thus far, this should be obtainable for under $200. :scratch2:

EDIT: Although our Mac MX130 has a headphone jack, it has been replaced in our rack by our MX151, which doesn't have the same jack. Our Oppo 105D, on the other hand, does have a jack for this purpose.

Antonmb 05-25-2021 01:46 AM

Nice Cans?

Closed or open headphones - do you want sound isolation? Open headphones tend to have better soundstage and a more open sound, but closed will block out more outside sound and not leak music to bother others. And what reviews have you read? My experience has been that $200 is just about the entry point to good sound for home listening. You may also consider the used market, a pair of Sennheiser hd600 or Hd650 may be just the thing and can probably be found for around $200. Also in that range, the AKG K701 runs around $200 new, look for them on Amazon.

hobie1dog 05-25-2021 10:25 AM

Every response will suggest a different pair.

HiFi Man HE400s very comfortable, $130 new on their website, good bass.