AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Bryston Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   Help with BDP 3, please (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=52779)

moonhawk 01-26-2024 03:01 AM

Help with BDP 3, please

I hadn't used my BDP 3 in quite a while, and now I can't get Roon to recognize it at all.

It is turned on, and connected to the internet. It has an IP.

I can play music from my small attached thumb drive using the front panel drive.

I can stream tunes from Roon, but they play on my laptop.

I cannot get to My Bryston, or the IP address, or bdp-3-local or any other such thing as outlined in the manual. I get "server not found", or "server not responding", or "this feature only works with S2.06 or newer". I am running s2.36

I now see the following message:

"Why isn't my BDP running S2.06 or newer not showing on My Bryston?
My Bryston works by comparing the internet connection that your BDP used to register itself with the internet connection your currently using to view My Bryston, if they are different (ie your on different networks) then your Bryston device(s) won't show. They just need to be on the same network and they also need to be on the same network to control the Bryston device.

Well, I'm pretty sure they are on the same network, but I have tried both wifi networks to no avail. The BDP 3 is connected to my router by ethernet. I have two networks because one is an Eero mesh piggybacked off the router supplied by my Internet privider.

Please note that this always worked before, so I am unsure what may have changed. I actually don't remember this "cloud based" software arrangement. Like I said earlier, it's been a while.

I am only moderately computer savvy, but I have spent quite some time trying to figure out exactly which network the BDP is connected to.

I would greatly appreciate any insights anyone here may have.

Thank you. :smoking:

moonhawk 01-26-2024 03:05 AM

Oh, yes...My Roon core is an iMac, and I generally control it through my MacBook Pro. They are on the same network and working together properly.

dkorbal 01-26-2024 07:23 AM

Network issues. I sooooo relate. :mad:

I'm currently working through an issue where my ISP (Xfinity) keeps dropping its DHCP server or resetting its DNS. When that happens all my hardwired ethernet lines go down because the IP addresses are lost. I too am on a setup like yours but I use an Orbi Mesh system. ISP > Modem > Orbi > Switches with FOC. Wireless stays up and running but ether goes down. It take about 12 hours or more for the ISP to start issuing new addresses. Very frustrating. I have an Xfinity tech coming out tomorrow.

How does this help you? Probably not much other than you have my empathy. :D

And what is up with all the acronyms in computers. It drives me crazy. :D

Formerly YB-2 01-26-2024 09:53 AM

Similar problem here (though only on a weekly, or so, basis). I wonder if it isn't Xfinity trying to save bandwidth? If it gets worse I'll look into Verizon, though I doubt if it is any better. Does get tiring having to restart the streamer.

cleeds 01-26-2024 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkorbal (Post 1080355)
... my ISP (Xfinity) keeps dropping its DHCP server or resetting its DNS. When that happens all my hardwired ethernet lines go down because the IP addresses are lost ...

The remedy for that problem and perhaps also for moonhawk's problem is to have all the devices assigned to a static IP address, which can be done in your router's settings.

For moonhawk: try reading the BDP-3's IP address by scrolling from its front panel. You should then be able to enter that address into your browser and access the BDP-3.

dkorbal 01-26-2024 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cleeds (Post 1080361)
The remedy for that problem and perhaps also for moonhawk's problem is to have all the devices assigned to a static IP address, which can be done in your router's settings.

I don't want to hijack the thread but my understanding is my Netgear CM1150V is a modem only device. Therefore, it has no router and because of that it cannot assign IP addresses. I could be wrong (much investigation, limited understanding) but somewhere a DHCP is assigning my addresses which must be from the ISP. No? Keep in mind I do have a mesh system (access point) after the modem which handles all wireless connections separately and without issues. If the problem isn't between the WAN and my modem I'm not sure where it lies.

moonhawk 01-26-2024 02:41 PM

Hijacking the thread is fine, if this discussion helps anybody. I have found the IP address on my BDP 3 and tried multiple times to access that through my router, but all I get is server error type messages. Nor does "My Bryston" do anything.

I just checked and the IP is the same as last night. I'lll keep an eye on it to see if it changes.

Acronyms? Tell me about it. I have to look up half the ones you guys have used on this thread.

Thanks for all your thoughts. Keep them coming.

cleeds 01-26-2024 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkorbal (Post 1080364)
... my understanding is my Netgear CM1150V is a modem only device. Therefore, it has no router and because of that it cannot assign IP addresses ...

I think you are correct and would really benefit from adding a router after your modem. If nothing else, it provides an added level of security. And it lets you assign static IP addresses.

dkorbal 01-26-2024 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markbodiford (Post 1080376)
Incorrect.

The Netgear CM1150V is a Modem + Router combo box along with a 4-port Gigabit Ethernet Switch. This device will perform DHCP - which assigns IP addresses to all devices both wired and wireless.

According to the User Manual, the default private IP address is 192.168.100.1

If you wish to manipulate the settings simply open a web browser and type in that IP address. The default username and password is admin/password

I did some searching on the Netgear community site and found this from one of the so called gurus.

“ The CM1150V is a cable modem. (With added support for a voice device.) It is not a router. A modem will support just one device on the network.

The four ports on the CM1150V are not there to connect a lot of different network devices. They are there to plug into a router that supports "port aggregation".

The idea is that you connect a router to the modem. That router will then handle as many devices as it has sockets, more if you add an inexpensive switch. (Mine has 16 ports.) It will also deliver wifi to your local devices. Modems do not provide wifi.

Netgear's cable modem/routers have model numbers with the form CXXXX. Cable modems are CMXXXX.”

I’ve been on my 192.168.100.1. The interface to me has no router settings. I have since found out that my Orbi is the router for Ethernet (hardwire) and WiFi. When I open 10.0.0.1 (Orbi web browser) all my router settings are there. Still not sure why I’m losing just my wired connections. Hopefully tomorrow the tech might have some answers.

moonhawk 01-27-2024 04:04 AM

the IP on my BDP 3 is 192.168.7.213

I thought every device had a unique IP. But then I don't know much about all that.