AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Tape Machines (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=103)
-   -   Cassette Hookup (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=51692)

cleeds 10-27-2022 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amadave (Post 1067830)
... The meters moved when set to source. When I toggle to tape (monitor), no meter movement. The tapes are new so I assume they should be good to record ...

And what happens when you try to play back the tape? Is there any signal on the tape?

Amadave 10-27-2022 02:11 PM

No sound in playback mode. Not sure if using the analog out in place of a line out is a solution. I imagine its intended purpose is to drive an amplifier.

Amadave 10-27-2022 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 1067823)
Also, which Nakamichi model is it?

No other decks to try. ZX-7 is the model.

Amadave 10-27-2022 02:19 PM

It’s been forever since I recorded anything . I assume the preamp should have the source to be recorded selected during recording.

Antonmb 10-27-2022 02:50 PM

The analog out you're using should work. Since it's a standard pre-out, the output level is controlled by the preamp volume control and you therefore need to make sure the volume is turned up enough to create an adequate signal. You should be able to see this in the Nak meters, and if you're showing adequate input signal level, then there is some other issue, not the analog out - you're getting signal, just not recording or getting playback.

As Cleeds pointed out, make sure the tabs on the cassette shell are intact. Double-check the output level settings, the tape selector settings, try switching Dolby in and out, etc. This Nak has a lot of features and settings to play with, so make sure you've read the manual and have everything right, then try various settings on and off to troubleshoot. It could also be a problem with either the record head or playback head.

Amadave 10-27-2022 04:07 PM

Cassette Hookup

I reviewed the manual and then attempted an azimuth calibration. It appears there is something amiss as it never enters this mode. I’ve never had a deck with this calibration feature, but my basic read is this optimizes the record head for different tapes. I don’t know if this is the reason I’m not getting a recorded signal, but I can’t rule it out. For now, I guess I’ll just use it for playback.

Masterlu 10-27-2022 04:17 PM

One other thing to try, after you go through the steps to record music. Use headphones in to your ZX-7 to see if in fact the recording was done.

This could verify you have an issue with the analog output of the deck.

Amadave 10-27-2022 05:48 PM

Pretty sure I have some issues with the unit at least on the recording side. I’ve watched several videos and the unit does not perform these functions as shown. Any recommendations on someone who might do repairs? I’d like to at least call and get an estimate.

Masterlu 10-27-2022 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amadave (Post 1067860)
Pretty sure I have some issues with the unit at least on the recording side. I’ve watched several videos and the unit does not perform these functions as shown. Any recommendations on someone who might do repairs? I’d like to at least call and get an estimate.

FWIW, the tech needs the machine on his bench to give an accurate repair quote.

PS: They are quite expensive to repair; I had my Dragon completely gone through two years ago. Belts, lubrication, old cap replacement, calibration, etc. it cost me nearly as much as the machine.

Amadave 10-27-2022 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 1067862)
FWIW, the tech needs the machine on his bench to give an accurate repair quote.

PS: They are quite expensive to repair; I had my Dragon completely gone through two years ago. Belts, lubrication, old cap replacement, calibration, etc. it cost me nearly as much as the machine.

Good to know. Maybe it will just need to be a playback unit. I do have an old Denon, but it squeals and makes a terrible noise. It might be cheaper to fix and use for recording.