AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   McIntosh Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Any MDA200 Owners? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=52105)

IllinoisCheesehead 03-16-2023 05:36 PM

Any MDA200 Owners?

So a few weeks ago I upgraded my C2700 preamp to the C12000. I absolutely love it. The phono stage alone was worth the upgrade. However...I'm really missing the DA2 DAC in the C2700.

I'm considering the new MDA200, but the other piece of the equation is that my current streamer is a Bluesound Node. Definitely the weak link in my system. The Node's DAC, at least.

From all accounts, McIntosh doesn't really have a good streaming transport offering right now. Maybe they will down the road. But for the time being, I'm struggling with the decision of getting the MDA200 and just using my Node as transport for now (all I really stream is Qobuz) or looking at something outside of the McIntosh lineup that's both streamer and DAC, like something from Lumin, Aurender, Auralic, etc. My budget is pretty much the $4k price of the MDA200.

I sort of feel like a separate DAC is better in the long run, especially considering something like the MDA200 which can easily be upgraded if/when McIntosh release a DA3 module. But for ~$4k, is the MDA200 a wise buy, or are there better options to consider? Struggling between wanting to keep the system as "McIntosh-y" as I can and getting the best streaming option within my budget. Would appreciate any and all advice.

cleeds 03-17-2023 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IllinoisCheesehead (Post 1072831)
... I sort of feel like a separate DAC is better in the long run ...

+1, yes absolutely, whatever you decide, go with your instincts and get a separate DAC. Things with digital change too quickly to compromise with an integrated solution. If you can find a one-box solution that isn't a compromise, just give it time. It'll be compromised soon enough, which will be all too soon.

PeterMusic 03-17-2023 09:57 AM

Your Node's streamer is also much weaker than your McIntosh gear, and I'm with cleeds on a separate DAC. I love my Mc amps, but I would sacrifice the uniform visual appearance and go with one of the streamers you listed and a DAC from a company that is focused on DACs such as Schiit, Berkeley, or dCS

Charles 03-17-2023 03:03 PM

I'd go with the MDA200, definitely.

Best

Charles

dkorbal 03-18-2023 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IllinoisCheesehead (Post 1072831)
From all accounts, McIntosh doesn't really have a good streaming transport offering ……..

Struggling between wanting to keep the system as "McIntosh-y" as I can and getting the best streaming option within my budget. Would appreciate any and all advice.

I like yourself wrestled with keeping the system all McIntosh but in my experiences there are much better DACs out there for the price.

When whole house listening a Vault2i is used to feed the DA2 in the c2700 so music can be heard as one moves around the house. Each living space has speakers and it’s simple and easy. Especially for my wife.

But, in the evening when I just want to do some critical listening I use the Baltic 3 feed by the Opticalrendu which then is connected to the c2700 XLR. The sound is wonderful. That’s my experiences and journey.

There is no right or wrong answer here. Decide first where you’re priority lie. Is it the best possible sound, an all McIntosh look, convenience or something else. Once you set weight to those areas your answer will be a little clearer.

W9TR 03-18-2023 09:18 AM

I would listen to a number of different DAC’s before committing to a purchase.
Personal preference and system synergy play a big role in DAC selection.

For example I prefer non-over sampling R2R DAC’s having proprietary filters. McIntosh does not currently offer this type of DAC as the MDA 1000 is out of production.

Fbgbill 03-18-2023 09:29 AM

I just upgraded my preamp to the C2700 in order to get the DA2. I have not done anything with it yet. I have looked at streaming but am more interested in getting my cd collection stored and playing.

Charles 03-18-2023 12:41 PM

IC, Every system is so unique, it is unwise to draw conclusions based on other folks systems. You liked the sound you got with your 2700. IMO you are getting a better DAC with the separates (C-12000 and MDA200), than with the 2700. Yes, it's the same module but there's more to the MDA200 than just the DA2 Module. Separates always sound better, IMO. I'm a believer in sound signatures. I think you will be much happier having your new C-12000 connected to a Mac DAC. You should concentrate on the best digital coaxial cable and power cords that you can afford. My WEL's and Dragons that connect my MCT500 and MVP881 to my D1100 cost as much as the units themselves and as Ivan will tell your connections and power make a huge difference in the sound.

BTW, huge congrats on your C-12000. I wish I had one. If you choose the MDA200, it will look amazing next to your C-12000. And you are correct, according to my friend at Mac, the phono stage is truly special in the C-12000.

Best

Charles

IllinoisCheesehead 03-18-2023 10:24 PM

Thank you, everyone, for your comments. Lots of good advice and suggestions of things to give some more thought to. I appreciate it!

IllinoisCheesehead 03-18-2023 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles (Post 1072897)
BTW, huge congrats on your C-12000. I wish I had one. If you choose the MDA200, it will look amazing next to your C-12000. And you are correct, according to my friend at Mac, the phono stage is truly special in the C-12000.

Best

Charles

Thanks, Charles! It was definitely a somewhat impulsive splurge. I was considering the upgrade, just hadn’t intended to do it quite so soon. But I walked into my dealer to just talk to them about it, and they had just taken one out of the box and had set it up in their reference system. I played with it for a couple hours, and took it home that night. I just turned 50, so this was a bit of a milestone birthday “happy birthday to me” moment…

I’m curious about your thoughts on your D1100 DAC compared to the MDA200. I saw someone mention in a separate post here that the D1100 is considered a reference level DAC. Where does the MDA200 fall in comparison? I think they both use Sabre chips. 9018 in the D1100 and 9028 pro in the DA2 module, but I honestly don’t know the differences other than the 9028 is newer. Which doesn’t necessarily mean better. And then of course there are all the other components that go into the overall unit. Power supply, output stage, etc.