AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Wyred 4 Sound (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=166)
-   -   Modified Sonos and a very pleasant surprise .... (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=13432)

joeinid 04-08-2012 04:36 PM

Modified Sonos and a very pleasant surprise ....

I love my Sonos immensely. It has given me many, many hours of musical bliss and exploration. But for some reason, and I don't know why, I dismissed it for playing music from my own library. Perhaps I just assumed what I would hear would be no better than what I streamed, which by the way is pretty good. Until today. I pointed the Sonos app to my own Apple iTunes aiff directory and hot d@mn what the hell was I thinking. It sounds freaking great. No crazy computer settings, share the folder on the network and wallah, my own music like on MOG or Spotify in uncompressed aiff. To borrow a phrase from a beloved AA member, Winner, Winner chicken dinner!!!!

I am happy, it blows away the streaming audio yet give me the convenience I've grown to love.

From the Sonos website:

YOUR MUSIC LIBRARYNo matter where you keep your personal music library—on your computer, iPhone®, iPad™, iPod touch®, network hard drive, or even a CD player, Sonos lets you wirelessly play all that music, all over the house.MUSIC STORED ON YOUR COMPUTERSonos gives your personal music collection, such as iTunes®, plenty of room to roam. You can store your entire digital music library (up to 65,000 tracks) on up to 16 PCs, Macs and Network Attached Storage (NAS) devices on your home network. Then, Sonos will wirelessly stream all the music you've ripped and downloaded—all over the home. And Sonos supports all the most popular file formats, too. If you haven't gone digital yet, it's easy to rip your CD collection or find a ripping service that will do it for you.

SONOS WILL PLAY BACK THESE POPULAR AUDIO FILE FORMATS:
MP3 (compressed)
WMA (compressed)
AAC+
iTunes
Ogg Vorbis
Audible (format 4)
Apple Lossless
Flac (lossless)
WAV (uncompressed)
AIFF (uncompressed)

Still-One 04-08-2012 04:55 PM

Joe
Since my SonoS uses the music on my MS-300 for distribution and they are both connected to my MCD-1100 the SonoS is normally only used in the 2-channel room for MOG or Pandora. As you note the sound is very good especially for the price and the flexibility it offers.

Jim

joeinid 04-08-2012 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Still-One (Post 294769)
Joe
Since my SonoS uses the music on my MS-300 for distribution and they are both connected to my MCD-1100 the SonoS is normally only used in the 2-channel room for MOG or Pandora. As you note the sound is very good especially for the price and the flexibility it offers.

Jim

I have to assume it's playing the music from my library at its native resolution and my modified Sonos up-samples to 24/96. I think it sounds really good.

Still-One 04-08-2012 05:26 PM

Joe
You are correct.

Jim

joeinid 04-08-2012 05:27 PM

Thanks Jim! :thumbsup:

'cisco 04-25-2012 02:00 AM

Besides going for a W4S modification.....any Sonos owners replace their stock power cord? I also love my Sonos immensely and I am thinking of one of these....or you can go up the Nordost line to order their "figure 8" connector.

Purple Flare Power Cord
http://www.fineaudio.com.tw/PICTURE/...Flare(pc8).jpg

joeinid 04-25-2012 02:06 AM

I never knew there were aftermarket cords for the Sonos. I'm going to have pick up one. Thanks 'cisco. Now which one is the question.

'cisco 04-25-2012 02:11 AM

You're welcome Joe.....these "figure 8" cords can also be used for your LED TV's too...at least for Samsung. :yes:

bzr 04-25-2012 03:05 AM

I came close to pulling the trigger on the Sonos a while back, you've got me thinking again Joe, hmmm..... for now I think i'll just crank it up!

joeinid 04-25-2012 03:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'cisco (Post 302404)
You're welcome Joe.....these "figure 8" cords can also be used for your LED TV's too...at least for Samsung. :yes:

Cool!

Quote:

Originally Posted by bzr (Post 302409)
I came close to pulling the trigger on the Sonos a while back, you've got me thinking again Joe, hmmm..... for now I think i'll just crank it up!

Plug that modded Sonos into that spiffy new MSB and away you go! I control mine from my cell phone as well as any computer in the house. Awesome! :smoking: