AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   TAD Speakers & Electronics (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=131)
-   -   TAD CR-1's - Just Beautiful with Burmester 911mk3 mono amps ... (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=14576)

joeinid 01-06-2013 01:06 PM

I know this thread is a bit old and in need an update. As impressive as it was at times (Burmester+911's), the Burmester gear on my TADs was not to my liking. It was too aggressive, too much in my face. I much prefer Dartzeel. My Dart 108 amp is just amazing. The Dart is very natural, very musical, and grain free. The Burmesters seem nervous and more electronic compared to my Dartzeel. The Dartzeel allows more detail to come through without a trace of harshness or grain. The Dart does not wow immediately but over time you realize just how magical it sounds. Bass, at first, seems almost lacking compared to the Burmester amps. But give it a little time and oh boy, the bass is there alright. Sometimes shockingly so and on some recordings you never knew just how much quality bass they actually have. The bass definition on the Dartzeel is just incredible. It's not lumped together like on the Burmester. Dartzeel is a keeper.

chessman 01-06-2013 01:17 PM

Joe, thanks! These long term assessments are even more helpful than the initial impressions. I especially appreciate the candid appraisal, not because Burmesters are "bad" (they are certainly not), but because not every component is a good match with another in a particular configuration.

mbovaird 01-06-2013 01:26 PM

I agree. I too appreciate your candidate response. Sometimes certain amps and speakers just don't work together. I'm glad you remain so happy with the Dart gear. Keep us posted on how the Dart amp and Dart preamp work together!

bradleyc 01-06-2013 01:37 PM

I wonder if VAC + X > Darts on your CR-1's Joe? :scratch2:

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado

bakerman 01-06-2013 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbovaird (Post 421903)
I agree. I too appreciate your candidate response. Sometimes certain amps and speakers just don't work together. I'm glad you remain so happy with the Dart gear. Keep us posted on how the Dart amp and Dart preamp work together!

+1 Absolutely! I guess the Dart gear is that "gold/champagne colored gear" that you're so drawn to. :D

Did I miss the thread where you finally sold your 911's? I don't see them in your sig anymore.

joeinid 01-06-2013 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bradleyc (Post 421910)
I wonder if VAC + X > Darts on your CR-1's Joe? :scratch2:

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado

Hi Brad,

It depends on what X amp it is. No doubt if my speakers were Strads or something similar, the 911's would still be in the picture. The 911's need a more romantic/forgiving speaker to my ear. The TADs are just too honest/forward. Dartzeel needs a fairly benign load so I do wonder how that would sound on the Strads.
Like everyone says, matching gear is critical.

joeinid 01-06-2013 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bakerman (Post 421911)

+1 Absolutely! I guess the Dart gear is that "gold/champagne colored gear" that you're so drawn to. :D

Did I miss the thread where you finally sold your 911's? I don't see them in your sig anymore.

Sadly, the 911's slipped peacefully and quietly into the night. They never knew what happened, thank goodness. I would have hated to look into their eyes and pull the plug.

:)