AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Turntables & Tonearms (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   New Kuzma 14 inch 4Point (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=31785)

tima 12-14-2015 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlexibleAudio (Post 746834)
Thanks. The 14 inch has my attention.

What table would you put it on?

FlexibleAudio 12-14-2015 10:17 AM

A new Acoustic Signature Ascona mkii. The 11 inch 4 Point works great with the Ascona mki. I am thinking about two of them to accurately a/b different cartridges.

tima 12-15-2015 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlexibleAudio (Post 746937)
A new Acoustic Signature Ascona mkii. The 11 inch 4 Point works great with the Ascona mki. I am thinking about two of them to accurately a/b different cartridges.

That would be a superb setup. Sounds like you've found your 'table if you're going to the mkii.

Matching cartridges to the 4Point, have you found it prefers cartridges that tend toward lower dynamic compliance, say 12x10 to the minus 6 cm/dyne and lower?

FlexibleAudio 12-15-2015 08:43 PM

I do not own the 4 Point but am basing my views on the Jonathan Valin review of the Ascona mki and my understanding that that review led to a large number of people matching the 4 Point to the Ascona with great success.

NZ421291 12-16-2015 04:47 PM

Quote"Average distortion on 9" arms is 0.85%, whilst 12" arms are 0.67%. Some trying to impress will say this is 20% lower distortion, however this is incorrect as in real terms its only 0.18% lower."

Obviously, this company uses an alternative form of Mathematics not recognised in the real world. How could you trust a company whose engineers, designers & marketing staff cannot calculate % changes correctly?

Embarrassing.

FlexibleAudio 12-16-2015 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NZ421291 (Post 747438)
Quote"Average distortion on 9" arms is 0.85%, whilst 12" arms are 0.67%. Some trying to impress will say this is 20% lower distortion, however this is incorrect as in real terms its only 0.18% lower."

Obviously, this company uses an alternative form of Mathematics not recognised in the real world. How could you trust a company whose engineers, designers & marketing staff cannot calculate % changes correctly?

Embarrassing.

Yep. The level of existing distortion (which happens to have percentage as its defined unit) is in fact reduced by 20 percent! That's just simple math.

The fact that distortion itself is measured as a percentage is not the point whatsoever.

tima 01-08-2016 03:33 AM

I suspect Paul has this information but for others following this thread, the MSRP for the 4Point 14" is $8995.00. No reason to think the 14" 4Point is different from the 11" model but with lower tracking distortion.

"Notes
This arm is a NEW version of Kuzma's 4Point design (single wire set only: no RCA Box), one with a 14 inch arm tube, intended for installation on turntables that are set up for 12" arms already. It is otherwise identical to the standard 4Point: a VTA tower similar to the Airline, one that features damping in both the vertical and horizontal planes, as well as a detachable head shell (the electrical connections never break...) that allows easy changing of cartridges. Terminated with a 1.5M length of hard-wired Crystal Cable silver-wired cables with Eichmann Silver Bullet RCA plugs. May be custom-ordered in XLR termination. "

http://themusic.com/gear/covers/big/559da1b3a0688.jpeg

Bernard 01-10-2016 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NZ421291 (Post 747438)
Quote"Average distortion on 9" arms is 0.85%, whilst 12" arms are 0.67%. Some trying to impress will say this is 20% lower distortion, however this is incorrect as in real terms its only 0.18% lower." Obviously, this company uses an alternative form of Mathematics not recognised in the real world. How could you trust a company whose engineers, designers & marketing staff cannot calculate % changes correctly? Embarrassing.

0.18% is absolute, whereas 20% (approximately) is relative.

4RE 01-22-2016 01:50 PM

Mathematics and physics seem on occasion to be different on the island called UK. :D
Anyway I Love my Airline :thumbsup:
4 point versus Airline is a close call soundwise, but once you get used to tangential there's no way back. I dare say the Airline is not a 'better' sounding arm, it misses something, which you are not aware of with 4point until direct comparising with the Airline.
Ive set up many 4points at friends, the Airline asks for more commitment in setup and maintenance on the air compressor. I would advise 4point in any situation. The 14" is a very interesting move, maybe it get's closer to the Airline, may be very well the sole intention.. :scratch2:

Pojuojuo 02-28-2016 05:25 AM

Not all is about geomtry, What about mass inertia of this big 4p? Maybe it hass poorer tracking abilities than 11", no as fast...