AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Esoteric Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=140)
-   -   Any downside to Esoteric K-03 as a CD transport? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=19511)

Blippy 02-24-2013 11:07 PM

Any downside to Esoteric K-03 as a CD transport?

I'm in the market for a CD transport and am currently using a Wadia 571 which is on loan from my dealer. It's performing admirably and I have no complaints.

When I started thinking about the cost of the 571 I realized that for a few dollars more I could get an Esoteric K-03 and use its digital output to my DAC for CDs while at the same time gaining SACD playback.

I understand that as an SACD player the K-03 is outstanding, but I've read some comments that its redbook performance isn't on the same level. I vaguely remember reading a comment or review in which someone tested the K-03's digital output when playing a CD and ended up with performance similar to playback through the unit's internal DAC. Any truth to this or am I imagining it?

In other words is there a fundamental problem with the transport and supporting circuitry in the K-03 when it comes to redbook performance? Any potential issues with using the K-03 primarily as a transport?

jdandy 02-24-2013 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AMP (Post 450249)
I'm in the market for a CD transport and am currently using a Wadia 571 which is on loan from my dealer. It's performing admirably and I have no complaints.

When I started thinking about the cost of the 571 I realized that for a few dollars more I could get an Esoteric K-03 and use its digital output to my DAC for CDs while at the same time gaining SACD playback.

I understand that as an SACD player the K-03 is outstanding, but I've read some comments that its redbook performance isn't on the same level. I vaguely remember reading a comment or review in which someone tested the K-03's digital output when playing a CD and ended up with performance similar to playback through the unit's internal DAC. Any truth to this or am I imagining it?

In other words is there a fundamental problem with the transport and supporting circuitry in the K-03 when it comes to redbook performance? Any potential issues with using the K-03 primarily as a transport?

AMP.......If you have not read my review http://www.audioaficionado.org/esote...h-mcd1100.html, you may gain some insight into its redbook CD playback qualities. The redbook playback of the K-03 is exceptional, even compared to the McIntosh MCD1100. It would be accurate to say redbook does not equal the K-03's SACD playback, but then redbook (PCM) is not SACD (DSD) is it?

Why anyone would want to use the Esoteric K-03 as a transport only is a complete mystery to me. The eight AKM 4399 DAC’s in the K-03 produce astonishing lifelike sound, be it redbook, SACD, hi-res from a music server or hi-res via USB. There is no fundamental problem with Esoteric's newest VRDS-NEO VMK-3.5-10 transport, either. I'm not sure what information is triggering your doubt, but my experience with the K-03 has been nothing short of phenomenal.

Car commander 02-24-2013 11:52 PM

I would second that. If you read other reviews none of them agree that the CD performance is anything less than world class. Mine was fantastic. The Absolute Sound is the only one who had that opinion on the CD performance. Talk to Ivan (master lu) he gives some great deals. My Puccini and 808.3 were not close. I have not listen to a Vivaldi or Scarletti set up but those players are much more expensive.

Masterlu 02-25-2013 01:54 AM

The K03 is Amazing... we have three more AA'rs that will be receiving one this week. :ok:

Blippy 02-25-2013 11:36 AM

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I checked and indeed it was the TAS review which planted the seed of bias in the back of my head. A brief search yielded similar comments, but with further investigation it became apparent that most were nothing more than hearsay.

I understand that the K-03 is an excellent player in its own right, but I have a DAC which I'm quite happy with and figured it would be easiest to limit my buying criteria to players with excellent digital outputs. Getting SACD and a top quality built-in DAC is merely a bonus.

Car commander 02-25-2013 12:13 PM

I owed a Mitner MA-1, Benchmark and the DAC in my Puccini and I think the K-03 dac smoked um. I was using a mac book pro running pure and a Meridian control 15.

Having said that I think the CD performance is great than most of the High res stuff. I sold the control 15.

I don't know what dac you are running but I bet the DAC in the K-03 is better.

Still-One 02-25-2013 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AMP (Post 450420)
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I checked and indeed it was the TAS review which planted the seed of bias in the back of my head. A brief search yielded similar comments, but with further investigation it became apparent that most were nothing more than hearsay.

I understand that the K-03 is an excellent player in its own right, but I have a DAC which I'm quite happy with and figured it would be easiest to limit my buying criteria to players with excellent digital outputs. Getting SACD and a top quality built-in DAC is merely a bonus.

AMP
If you are happy with your DAC why not consider the P-03 or P-02 as a Transport?

I love the build quality of Esoteric gear and enjoyed having their gear in my system. I ultimately found that I preferred other solutions when I compared their latest offerings to some other gear currently available. That said, they are not night and day differences.

Blippy 02-25-2013 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Still-One (Post 450458)
AMP
If you are happy with your DAC why not consider the P-03 or P-02 as a Transport?

I considered this, but the P-02 is well outside of what I want to spend and the P-03 appears to be going away. Even if one is still to be had I look at the K-03 as being a better solution as I get the bonus of a VERY, VERY good SACD player.

howiebrou 02-26-2013 03:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Car commander (Post 450445)
I owed a Mitner MA-1, Benchmark and the DAC in my Puccini and I think the K-03 dac smoked um. I was using a mac book pro running pure and a Meridian control 15.

Having said that I think the CD performance is great than most of the High res stuff. I sold the control 15.

I don't know what dac you are running but I bet the DAC in the K-03 is better.

Jim,

Did you try the C15 into the Esoteric dac at all?

howie

Car commander 02-26-2013 10:56 AM

Yes it worked great. SPDIF connection and simple. I tried a bunch of SPDIF cables and could not tell that it made a difference. The C15 is a nice piece of gear. I owned one for awhile and decided I like playing CD's better. I also think that they sound a little better.
I owned a 808.3 for awhile as well. I think the K-03 and K-01 sound better than the 808.3. But as always that's just my opionion. I didn't think the 808.3 sounded better than the X-03SE I had at the time to compare it to. Then of course there is the SACD issue. The 808.3 is a great sounding player. If I were thinking of making a change I would try to borrow a K-03 (broken in) and see what you think.