AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Simaudio Moon (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=169)
-   -   MOON RS P7 Preamp (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=12274)

bzr 02-03-2012 02:42 AM

MOON RS P7 Preamp

Hello everyone, hope all are well & enjoying the sound? I am slowly upgrading my system to the point of coming close to the components that I want in the system. Has anyone had experience with the MOON gear, in particular the RS P7 Preamp? The RS =upgraded power supply & wiring for the import model into certain countries. At the mo have a Plinius M8, a good preamp that is on the warmer side of neutral & doesn't lie too much. Am after a truthful pre that doesn't colour, opinions of experience are wanted.:thumbsup:

tdelahanty 02-03-2012 08:55 AM

I owned the Supernova cdp and had extensive listening time with the P7,W7,I7 integrated amp. Sim gear is warm but very neutral. It is always faithful to the recording, it does not gloss over flaws of poor recordings. GREAT STUFF !!!

VT Skier 02-03-2012 09:34 AM

I own the P-8 and find that it is very revealing, very neutral, not as "warm" as past Simaudio designs, and probably not as warm as Plinius.

cmalak 02-03-2012 10:20 AM

Spent a week with i7 and a week with P7/W7 in home demos. Great gear. As has been said, very neutral, highly resolving/incisive. Musical and not analytical in any way. I would not call the sonic signature warm. I think tonally neutral is the best description. I did not have the upgraded power supply version of the P7 but it sounds like what you are seeking.

JohnA 02-03-2012 03:18 PM

I have the p5 pre amp in my system and as mentioned above, very neutral sounding.
I think they are great pre amps, and would only imagine the newer ones been even better.

Any chance you can audition one in your system Kev

lostinla 02-03-2012 03:34 PM

I have the P7 and really like it. I demoed an xp20 before buying the sim. The xp20 was quite different, very quiet but not as full sounding as the p7. With my speakers and after trying several cables I found it a bit bright sounding/ thin compared to the p7. So on that comparison I guess you'd say the p7 was warmer.
Also love the ability to name inputs and set the levels of the inputs.

bzr 02-03-2012 04:05 PM

Found one in W. Australia unpacked at 30% rr so am taking this as a sign from the audio gods that I must have it. Have not come across any educated reviews or opinions that were slanting anywhere near negative for this pre so am going in blind. Gee, this IS fun!!!:banana::banana:

cmalak 02-03-2012 05:48 PM

Kev...I don't think you will be disappointed. I just checked the P7's output impedance is 50ohms and that should drive any amp. No impedance mismatch here. Enjoy and good luck.

bzr 02-08-2012 04:10 AM

preamp arrives tomorrow & am feeling like a kid on xmas eve.:yes::banana::music:

Ritmo 02-08-2012 07:40 AM

Excellent! Keep us posted on your new P7! :thumbsup:

Mike