AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Fine Art & Collectibles (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=84)
-   -   What did you LAST get from a thrift store? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=27642)

Dude111 07-23-2014 08:48 AM

I last got the movie PSYCHO (1960) on VHS :)

dubita 07-23-2014 12:35 PM

A free piece of cake. It was the manager's anniversary and as a regular customer I was invited to partake :)

Pider 07-23-2014 02:38 PM

9 years ago I needed a toaster oven, microwave, and some utensils for my hangar. What better than to go to a thrift store, support their work, and get some perfectly workable items. I eventually upgraded them all and took the originals back to the same thrift store so they could be sold again. Still in working order.

Still-One 07-23-2014 02:52 PM

The last thing I got from a Thrift Store would have been a receipt for my taxes for the items I dropped off. :D

Pider 07-23-2014 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Still-One (Post 625487)
The last thing I got from a Thrift Store would have been a receipt for my taxes for the items I dropped off. :D

Good point. That would be at least twice a year.

Actually, come to think of it, since it might be considered a thrift store, but this year I hauled several old computers and several boxes of computer parts and old phone items to a place in PDX responsible for their correct disposal. Then I went into their used parts store and picked up another charger for my ThinkPad. The correct disposal of these things is becoming more and more iffy. Batteries, too.

jdandy 07-23-2014 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Still-One (Post 625487)

Jim.......Ditto. I usually donate my old items to the VFW thrift store or to the Florida Sheriff's Boy's Ranch thrift store.

AudioNut 07-23-2014 04:12 PM

I have probably bought a couple of thousand records (LPs) from thrift stores over the years.

Any classical records that they might have are usually in unplayed - mint condition, while their rock records usually look like they had been used as frisbees.

ehoove 07-23-2014 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioNut (Post 625498)
I have probably bought a couple of thousand records (LPs) from thrift stores over the years.

Any classical records that they might have are usually in unplayed - mint condition, while their rock records usually look like they had been used as frisbees.

Only reason I visit them other than to drop of donations.
Regards,
Jim

Dude111 07-25-2014 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dubita
A free piece of cake. It was the manager's anniversary and as a regular customer I was invited to partake :)

Excellent,you were lucky buddy :)

jameslrock 07-26-2014 11:48 PM

100's of CDs at $1.00 each. A lot of current music but also a huge amount of classical in mint condition. Think of classical as the rock n roll of it's time. Listen to classical on a revealing system and you will understand.

Sent from my iPad using A.Aficionado