AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Subwoofers (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Pro and Cons of adding Subs (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=51325)

JoeN 06-29-2022 12:43 PM

Pro and Cons of adding Subs

1 Attachment(s)
Our system is just awesome. We really are enjoying it. However, I see a lot of audiophiles incorporating subs into their home audio systems.

I’m seriously thinking about it. It’s not that I’m not getting excellent bass already - it’s unbelievable. But from what I’ve read placing a set of subs into a system assist in enabling improvements in soundstage width, normally provide a greater dynamic range, and a smoother frequency response across the room. I figure it may worth a try.

I looked at the Magico subs and I think the Q’s have too large if a footprint. I contacted REL and they stated they didn’t want my room overpowered by too much bass. And since I have limited space for placement they are suggesting REL 212SX, the Carbon Special, or their G1 MK II (if the footprint would fit).

This said I know there are other great sub manufactures out there, like JL Audio, SVS, etc. What would you just suggest as being the best fit for my system and space.

Pic of system for a reminder of what I’m working with.

https://www.audioaficionado.org/atta...0&d=1656520966

Masterlu 06-29-2022 12:47 PM

A pair of subs would do very nicely flanking your rack, behind your mains. :ok:

Masterlu 06-29-2022 01:00 PM

PS: there is no such thing as “too much bass” because you will feather them in to your mains, and adjust the gain to your liking.

Subs fill in what I call the 4th dimension (treble, mids, bass / being 1,2 & 3)

In all my 49 years of experience, I have never encountered a pair of speakers that didn’t benefit from Subs. Regardless how expensive/awesome the bass is from your mains. ;)

JoeN 06-29-2022 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 1063148)
PS: there is no such thing as “too much bass” because you will feather them in to your mains, and adjust the gain to your liking.

Subs fill in what I call the 4th dimension (treble, mids, bass / being 1,2 & 3)

In all my 49 years of experience, I have never encountered a pair of speakers that didn’t benefit from Subs. Regardless how expensive/awesome the bass is from your mains. ;)

Awesome. :thumbsup: REL includes a remote to help adjust the volume of the subs (and much more) so I’m not really sure what the sales rep meant by over powering the room.

Thanks again Ivan.

Masterlu 06-29-2022 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeN (Post 1063150)
Awesome. :thumbsup: REL includes a remote to help adjust the volume of the subs (and much more) so I’m not really sure what the sales rep meant by over powering the room.

Thanks again Ivan.

Take it from me, you can’t over power the room; unless you do it intentionally. The sales rep needs to go back to basic training. :yes:

Audio 1 06-29-2022 02:03 PM

I really do not think there are any cons to adding subwoofers once properly dialed in. I agree 100% with everything Ivan has stated here.

All you want to achieve is augment the lower range where the main speakers begin to roll-off. The REL's are very nice, but my only reservation with them is that they do not offer any room equalization and rely solely on physical placement to deal with any room tuning issues. That being said in most situations they do an excellent job and have a great reputation.

I recently added a pair of subs to my system and I am beyond happy with the results. I chose the B&W DB1D which has two 12" opposing drivers in a sealed cabinet.
They are controlled 100% from your phone or tablet and are very easy to set-up and control. After running the 4 band room EQ and dialing in a bit you cannot differentiate the subwoofers from the mains. I love being able to make adjustments from the listening chair.

Kal Rubinson 06-29-2022 02:38 PM

Agreed about the REL's.

My suggestion is a pair of JL f-series subs and a JL CR-1. The f subs have quite decent auto-EQ and the CR-1 will integrate them into the system. IMHO, the only way to do better is with a computer-based DSP system and that will be a more invasive change for your established system.

JoeN 06-29-2022 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio 1 (Post 1063153)
I really do not think there are any cons to adding subwoofers once properly dialed in. I agree 100% with everything Ivan has stated here.

All you want to achieve is augment the lower range where the main speakers begin to roll-off. The REL's are very nice, but my only reservation with them is that they do not offer any room equalization and rely solely on physical placement to deal with any room tuning issues. That being said in most situations they do an excellent job and have a great reputation.

I recently added a pair of subs to my system and I am beyond happy with the results. I chose the B&W DB1D which has two 12" opposing drivers in a sealed cabinet.
They are controlled 100% from your phone or tablet and are very easy to set-up and control. After running the 4 band room EQ and dialing in a bit you cannot differentiate the subwoofers from the mains. I love being able to make adjustments from the listening chair.

Thanks Buddy. Being able to control things from my chair would differently be a huge advantage. I’ll check the B&Ws up here and see if I can get a demo.

Audio 1 06-29-2022 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeN (Post 1063156)
Thanks Buddy. Being able to control things from my chair would differently be a huge advantage. I’ll check the B&Ws up here and see if I can get a demo.

Most dealers will not have them set-up and dialed in for a 2-channel demo, but honestly you cannot go wrong with this product as they sound so darn good!

Kal's recommendation is also excellent. JL makes awesome subwoofers and the CR1 will allow for excellent integration, but you will want a good dealer to help you with the process.

JoeN 06-29-2022 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson (Post 1063155)
Agreed about the REL's.

My suggestion is a pair of JL f-series subs and a JL CR-1. The f subs have quite decent auto-EQ and the CR-1 will integrate them into the system. IMHO, the only way to do better is with a computer-based DSP system and that will be a more invasive change for your established system.

Kal, many thanks for this suggestion. I’ll contact them as well. :thumbsup: